2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

is the brake booster causing this noise??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010 | 07:36 PM
townsley4
|
Veteran
Default is the brake booster causing this noise??

does anyone know if a brake booster makes noise? i have been having this grinding/squaking noise from the the front of the truck for a while now. its very noticble, and it sounds like its right infront of the dash on the drivers side. its very noticable from about 10-30 mph. it does it when braking, under acceleration or just coasting through a parking lot. its not constant, but rather like every half a second or so. anyone have any idea, or ever heard of this noise?

Old 07-26-2010 | 07:45 PM
Pacmanloads
Captain

Does it make the noise while at idle and stopped? or only while in motion?

Old 07-26-2010 | 07:49 PM
townsley4
|
Veteran

i havnt really noticed it at idle or when stopped

its barely noticable sometimes when stopped. the noise is hard to explain...u can almost feel it in the steering wheel when it does it. the only thing i can really relate it to sounding like is a cricket chirping constantly but with longer rythems. like a grinding chirping noise. i mean it sounds like its right behind the dash, cant hear it from outside the truck to well. i will try to get a vid tommorow and see how it turns out. its really rather annoying so id like to figure out what it would be. i replaced the steering gear but its done this before that. i have been lookin around and read somewhere the transfer case can make some type of noise up front, how would i know if that is it? anyone else ever hear this noise on their ram?

Last edited by jasonw; 07-28-2010 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Merge posts.
Old 07-28-2010 | 01:04 AM
FarmBoy428
Veteran

do you always drive in 4x4 High? if so keep it in neutral an see if the noise goes away. an it could be bad rotors like u said its under braking? right? it may need rotors inspected to see if they need replaced.

and what part of illinois you live in? u close to clinton? if so i can take a look at it for you.

Last edited by jasonw; 07-28-2010 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Merge posts.
Old 07-28-2010 | 01:17 AM
townsley4
|
Veteran

it is under braking and acceleration and coasting. i dont drive in 4hi all the time, only when mudding or in snow. i will see if a video can pick up the noise tommorow so u can get a better idea of what it sounds like. I live by champaign/urbana illinois. not far from clinton. been to the lake once or twice

Old 07-28-2010 | 01:21 AM
FarmBoy428
Veteran

Okay cool, yeah I live about 10 mins from the lake, I take my boat out there all the time (:
Can't wait to see the vid so i can try an help you get this fixed. I will do a little research on the internet tonight. I am a 16 year old farm kid, who loves nothin but helpin others out an working on my dodge (:

Old 07-28-2010 | 01:25 AM
FarmBoy428
Veteran

I have another question, i forgot to ask does it make this sound when you are in 4x4 hi and low too?

Old 07-28-2010 | 01:31 AM
townsley4
|
Veteran

yea ive been trying to research and all that i come up with is the tensionr pulley/belt and transfer case. but i dont think its either of those. and congrats on ur truck man. im a 19 year old college student lol and i take the boat down to lake shelbyville alot. u familar with champaig urbana?

Old 07-28-2010 | 01:56 AM
FarmBoy428
Veteran

Oh yes I sure am. I drive right threw on my way to Indianapolis to visit with my mother about every weekend. And my father an I own season tickets for the illini football games. And everytime i drive threw i always go to little Caesar for a hot and ready before the game, and after the game or just on my way to my moms. I been to a mexican resturaunt i believe call Dos Realize? idk but its on the exit where u would go to the mall, but u wouldnt go left, u would make a right if u were heading east on the highway

Old 07-28-2010 | 02:06 AM
JRob238
Professional

I wouldnt think it would be a rotor if you cant hear it to well outside the truck. If it was a rotor the sound would be louder outside than inside.

Now your steering column runs through your dash is there anyway it could be grinding on something? just a thought.

My first thought was maybe a dragging caliper but that would make the truck pull left or right depending on which side was stuck.

It could possibly also be your front drive shaft moving in and out. I had that happen on a jeep and it mad wierd noises.

Quick Reply: is the brake booster causing this noise??