2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

performance gains?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 08:24 PM
bigslick050
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CBR900RR19
I put in a Hypertech Programmer and a Flowmaster 44 muffler out to dual exhaust and my truck dyno tested at 387 ft lb of torque @ 2250 RPMS. Thats a gain of 57 ft lb of toque! Just off of programmer and upgraded exhaust. So these are great places to start. I also highly recommend putting in dual electric fans in place of the old inefficient fan clutch to gain more HP (7-12) at the crank, gain upto 2 MPG, colder A/C, and better throttle response for only $300 @ FFDynamics.com

I was checking out Black Betty and some of her Mods... Looking Sweet!!!! I would love to see some photos of your dual electric fan install. Plus I love the subtle changes you did to the front end. Bumper guards, Chrome grill and changing from the gray to black on the bumper. What product did you use to do that???
Thanks for the comps man! Yeah there is a thread a few pages back on here that have the pictures and step by step installation. You can also find pics of it on the MOTM under general discussion. Or click the picture link on my sig, have some there too.

Bought a replacement front cover from pershing auto on ebay and painted it factory Dodge black to match. Bought the paint from PPG. The chrome grill is a one-piece grill (also from pershing) ALL CHROME...and as far as the bumper guards go...good luck finding one...this set was the only bumper guards I've ever seen for our 2nd gens. Didn't even know they made 'em and I got lucky finding them, I wasn't even looking for these, they just kinda fell into my lap so to speak. I guess they are very rare.....

Old 08-01-2010, 08:35 PM
bigslick050
All Star

Originally Posted by evans3
yea that helps alot actually! thanks a bunch! how hard is it to install those fans? and should i buy a high flow cat or just cut the cat out completly?
Its not very hard to put the dual e-fans in....I do recommend that you know how to wire the unit up, or get someone who knows how to. Took about 3 hrs to do the install, and pulled the radiator out to mount the fans and make it a lil easier. High-flow cats are great, but IMO you get a nicer quality of sound from removing it completely (Betty sounded like a beast after I gutted mine). Just depends on your emissions requirements though...Mine is considered weight exempt, so I don't do emissions, but urs is 1500 1/2 ton, so you are prob better off with a cat in there. For emissions requirements.

As jasonw stated earlier, you will get a CEL from removing it, but if you have a programmer, you can clear the code in 45 seconds. Or use HammerZ71's technique in the DIY to get around this as well. He shows you step by step (with pics) to essentially fool the computer into thinking the sensor is there. Just as effective.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:12 PM
evans3

alright awesome! thanks for all the info guys! i appreciate it! and black betty is a sick lookin truck! wish mine looked that good!

Old 08-01-2010, 10:32 PM
CBR900RR19
Professional

Originally Posted by bigslick050
Thanks for the comps man! Yeah there is a thread a few pages back on here that have the pictures and step by step installation. You can also find pics of it on the MOTM under general discussion. Or click the picture link on my sig, have some there too.
Yup found the post: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...t-install.html

Your sweet ride has definitely put me in the mind set to get to work on my truck!! Back when I bought her new I set her up just how I wanted and few added extras but haven't done anything else since. After reading your list of mods, seeing your install and your truck I think its time to get back to playing in the garage... Oh hell this forum going to get me in trouble with the girlfriend. LOL

Old 08-02-2010, 06:55 AM
bigslick050
All Star

Just takes a little patience. You shoulda seen how ugly she used to be back in '07. But I knew she had potential, so I picked her up one day. Three yrs, and many thousands of dollars later, this is how she turned out. Betty is my dirty little *****, and like to ride her hard. LOL

Quick Reply: performance gains?