2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

To those with 4.56 or 4.10 gears

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:52 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I didn't have to change mine when I did the gears. I have gone past a few of the speed things on the road and I'm dead on.

I did fix it for the tire size via the superchips.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:54 PM
army_greywolf
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4.56 37s 11C/13.8H mpg verified. And I have been toting around a MIller 300D welder/generator in the box for about a month, and I still get that mileage.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:02 AM
trucklover
Veteran

Okay, I averaged everyone highway/city mpg's and then took those averages and compared the two gears and the 4.10's are averaging 14mpg h/c and the 4.56 averages 12mpg h/c. I know this is not extremely accurate due to different tire sizes, engines, location etc, but it may give a ballpark of how the two gears compare. I would still like to see more numbers....

Old 08-05-2010, 12:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Ok, bit of poking in the dark here.

Seems most folks are re-gearing to keep RPM vs. Speed pretty much the same as stock. For me, that means a hair over 1500 RPM @ 60mph. Personally, I think that is a bit low. Of course, need to keep in mind, that I am unsure of what the powerband of our engines looks like. I think a better comparison might be mpg as compared to engine rpm at 60. (or freeway speed....) Gotta remember that dodge PURPOSELY geared these trucks for 'gas mileage' with the stock size tires. Which for most, I think is 245/70/16's? Their reasoning was probably "lower RPM at cruise speed means better fuel economy", which isn't necessarily the case.

I wonder if re-gearing to put your engine a bit further into the torque 'range' of operation wouldn't yield better fuel economy results? Or am I overthinking this?

Old 08-05-2010, 12:35 PM
trucklover
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Ok, bit of poking in the dark here.

Seems most folks are re-gearing to keep RPM vs. Speed pretty much the same as stock. For me, that means a hair over 1500 RPM @ 60mph. Personally, I think that is a bit low. Of course, need to keep in mind, that I am unsure of what the powerband of our engines looks like. I think a better comparison might be mpg as compared to engine rpm at 60. (or freeway speed....) Gotta remember that dodge PURPOSELY geared these trucks for 'gas mileage' with the stock size tires. Which for most, I think is 245/70/16's? Their reasoning was probably "lower RPM at cruise speed means better fuel economy", which isn't necessarily the case.

I wonder if re-gearing to put your engine a bit further into the torque 'range' of operation wouldn't yield better fuel economy results? Or am I overthinking this?
That is why I started this thread to see what gear yields the best mileage. I agree, the 3.55 gears are only good if you keep the stock size tires. Most will upgrade to at least a 265/75/16 (which is a factory optional size), but that even puts more strain on the 3.55 gears. I have built the engine in my truck and the truck is way out of its powerband, hurting the performance and whatever economy the truck is capable of.

The 4.56 gears would probably make the most sense for my set up, but I only plan on going as large as 33" tires so I don't want to overgear.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:59 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was in a simlar boat as you trucklover but I said screw it and got the 4.56's.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:44 PM
trucklover
Veteran

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
I was in a simlar boat as you trucklover but I said screw it and got the 4.56's.
That's what I am leaning towards. Better MPG's would be nice, but I would rather have the power!!

Old 08-05-2010, 04:09 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Easy way to find your "powerband."

Drive on highway and find the spot where your truck responds with relatively large amounts of speed for a very small amount of gas pedal. I kind of think of it as "floating" where you barely press the pedal and you really get going. Note the relative RPM's.

Taking you tire size into account, find a gear chart and tire size calculator to estimate the the RPMs at the speed that you want to travel (on highway or street) and plug that number into the calculator to find the gear size you want.

This may or may not be the most fuel efficient place to be, but it'll make it easier to pass people.

Modifications to your truck can affect this powerband as well. I know shorty headers, a round air cleaner, Fastman TB and cutting down the runners on my stock kegger helped passing efficiency, the air gap furthered that.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:35 AM
trucklover
Veteran

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Easy way to find your "powerband."

Drive on highway and find the spot where your truck responds with relatively large amounts of speed for a very small amount of gas pedal. I kind of think of it as "floating" where you barely press the pedal and you really get going. Note the relative RPM's.

Taking you tire size into account, find a gear chart and tire size calculator to estimate the the RPMs at the speed that you want to travel (on highway or street) and plug that number into the calculator to find the gear size you want.

This may or may not be the most fuel efficient place to be, but it'll make it easier to pass people.

Modifications to your truck can affect this powerband as well. I know shorty headers, a round air cleaner, Fastman TB and cutting down the runners on my stock kegger helped passing efficiency, the air gap furthered that.
That is good info! I know the speed my truck "floats" at is 65-67mph but I haven't paid any attention to the rpm. I will check it out...

Quick Reply: To those with 4.56 or 4.10 gears