2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hi flow cats ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 05:30 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
A little OT,
Anyone besides pacesetter make a Y pipe to replace the factory Y in a 2001 fed emmissions?
I had heard the pacesetter Y pipe isn't very good. My cat is a magnaflow 3" si/so.

Wondering myself how much I might be losing to that stock Y with my current configuration.
max is running with there y -pipe with the longtubes, the shop made a custum y-pipe for mine. pretty much the same where it bends around the transfercase and then come to a Y.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Anyone besides pacesetter make a Y pipe to replace the factory Y in a 2001 fed emmissions?
I used one of these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-88029/

It seems fine so far.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Gruman84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So in Texas could I just clean my cat out?

Old 08-05-2010, 12:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Gruman84
So in Texas could I just clean my cat out?
Check local laws. If you don't have any kind of inspections required, then yes, you could get away with that.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
I'm a bit concerned now about the new cat. I really don't want to have to fool around with it for another 100k once it's on.
Both my mechanic and muffler dude were trying to convince me to go with a baffled muffler to try and increase the service life of my cat. They say that the popping I get on decel is unburnt fuel exploding in the cat caused by cool air being sucked back up the tailpipe. According to the theory the mini explosions physically stress the substrate eventually causing mechanical failure. They both seem to concur, independently I might add, that the baffled muffler would stop the popping from happening and add to the life expectencyof the cat.

Of course being the stubborn know it all that I am I still have no muffler. But man I'm cool.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Gruman84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Check local laws. If you don't have any kind of inspections required, then yes, you could get away with that.
Well in TX, we have to get our vehicles inspected once a year. Abd they dont "sniff" the exhaust. How would they know the cat wasn't gutted?

Old 08-05-2010, 12:30 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gruman84
Well in TX, we have to get our vehicles inspected once a year. Abd they dont "sniff" the exhaust. How would they know the cat wasn't gutted?
They wont know it is gutted if you do it right
Cut pipe on muff side of the cat, remove the o2 sensor.
Bash the crap out of the cats insides(long bar)
Move exh pipe off to the side & start the truck & give it some revs to blow out the debris.
After welding it back up you may get a CEL.
In some cases (mine) I was able to just reset the pcm (disconnect neg battery/key on 10sec) & the cel/limp mode went away.
Guys with newer model years may have to get an o2 sim (maybe detected by inspection) or use the plug non fouler trick.
That may also be detected visually though.
3rd way is a bit tricky. Have to place a mark on the o2 sensor that shows where the IN side of the cat is.
Pull the sensor & weld a tiny V shaped piece of metal that will shield the incoming gases from contacting the sensor as much but not interfer with reinstalling the sensor.
Kind of like this if it makes sense
Mtr ---[cat <sensor ]---muff

Old 08-05-2010, 01:42 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ugly1
Both my mechanic and muffler dude were trying to convince me to go with a baffled muffler to try and increase the service life of my cat.
Lucky me, I've got a baffled muffler showing up today that will go on right after the cat is loosely hung in place. For my application, a single side-out with a baffled can is the hot ticket anyway.

Originally Posted by Ugly1
Of course being the stubborn know it all that I am I still have no muffler. But man I'm cool.
Booming the canyon walls to knock loose the stuff that's coming down anyway, huh?

Old 08-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Booming the canyon walls to knock loose the stuff that's coming down anyway, huh?
lol! What can I say? These trucks sound bitchen. It's all I can do to not just go sit in it in the drive way and rev it in neutral all day. Lucky for the neighbors I usually drive it on the weekends. Besides I think they like the sound of revving bikes better...

Old 08-05-2010, 02:56 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

In Texas, if you live in a high population county, you have emissions testing, but I THINK it's just visual,(ie, do you have what looks like a cat and O2 sensors.)

If it's a rural county or a farm or commercial vehicle, there is no emissions inspection.

They'll get you for a blown light bulb in the rear bumper before the cat, IMO.

Quick Reply: hi flow cats ???