2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looking at a 94 ram gotta couple of questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010 | 06:04 PM
rwilhelms
|
Veteran
Default Looking at a 94 ram gotta couple of questions?

Alright well guys its been awhile since I've been on. Got in a little trouble and had to make some money to pay some fines. So the ram had to go. Then the computer took a dump and didnt have $ to fix it but Im back now. So my question is Im looking at a 94 ram regular cab short box. 5.2 with a manual. The only problem is that its got 206,000 on it and theyre asking $2000. I told him the highest I could go is is $1500 if its in good condition. Is there anything I should be looking for on this model year. I know to look for the basics plenum, axle seals, trany/transfer case leaks anything else? The owner said its got the basic dodge rust on the fenders and rockers. New front axle, new brakes, tranny clutch, and spark plugs And its got a 2 or 3" lift with the 17" off road rims with racing seats installed to. IF he agrees to $1500 do you think its worth it.

Old 08-04-2010 | 06:23 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

It might be worth $1500, but look it over carefully if you intend to drive it without sinking a bunch more cash into it. Between the lift and the seats, I'm thinking the owner not only did most of his own wrenching but was cheap about it. It's not always a problem when the owner turns his own wrenches, but it is often a problem. Especially if he's cheap.

Old 08-04-2010 | 07:03 PM
bigslick050
All Star

@ 1500 bucks, if it runs out good and still feels strong I say go for it. Looks like it has a bunch of potential. Worth it even if you have to throw a few bucks at it IMO

Old 08-04-2010 | 08:12 PM
rwilhelms
|
Veteran

Alright so hes trying to get me to go $1750. I asked him if I could come see the truck on friday we could talk price then If im really intrested. And I would love to throw some money at it but I dont have any. I'm starting school at the end of the month and im not gonna be getting much hours at work. The only reason im looking for a truck is for hunting and cause I dont wanna drive my taurus an hour to school in the wisconsin winters Id rather have a 4x4. Also just something to tinker with while sitting around the house cause I still have cans of bedliner and the huges plenum kit from my old truck. I have yet to see how much rust is really on the truck so I'm hoping it doesnt come as a big surprise. Also a 94 is obd1 correct? whats the diffrence between that and the obd2 that was on my 97.

Old 08-04-2010 | 10:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

OBDI is not 'flashable'. So, no plug and play tuners. Have to change the PCM/PROM chip inside it. Codes are different. Not quite as 'informative' as OBDII. (the computer doesn't pay attention to as much.) Doesn't do anything with the trans. (not that it would matter on a manual trans truck......)

Go and have a look. Have 1500 cash in your pocket. If you like the truck enough to think it is worth it, show him the money. Tell him that is the best you can do. I suspect he will take it.

Old 08-05-2010 | 07:50 PM
rwilhelms
|
Veteran

So obd1 is just a little diffrent than obd2. Can you still do the ignition on and off trick to pull codes with the Obd1? Also the problem with me taking $1500 with me is I probably will end up buying it no matter what then cause I really miss my ram

Old 08-05-2010 | 10:41 PM
ColoradoRamLover
Veteran

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
It might be worth $1500, but look it over carefully if you intend to drive it without sinking a bunch more cash into it. Between the lift and the seats, I'm thinking the owner not only did most of his own wrenching but was cheap about it. It's not always a problem when the owner turns his own wrenches, but it is often a problem. Especially if he's cheap.
Yea, the guy I bought my truck from was. We payed 6300 for mine with 147XXX on it. We thought the guy babied it and took care of it(if I ever see that guy Im gonna... Say a few words and maybe more..). Tranny took a dump 2 hours after I bought it Soo be careful my friend.

Old 08-05-2010 | 11:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by rwilhelms
So obd1 is just a little diffrent than obd2. Can you still do the ignition on and off trick to pull codes with the Obd1? Also the problem with me taking $1500 with me is I probably will end up buying it no matter what then cause I really miss my ram
OBDI is even easier. Take a paperclip, short terminals A and B together in the diagnostic connector, turn the ignition to the Run position, and count the flashes. All codes are two digit. Should flash each one three times. Code 12 will come up first, even if no other codes are stored. That is just the circuit telling you that it thinks its working.

Old 08-06-2010 | 11:41 AM
rwilhelms
|
Veteran

Yeah so I just looked at it first off he told me that it had a straight axle in it so he replaced it with a stock axle. Arent these trucks all straight axles to begin with. Then he told me It had a lift even though the stock blocks were under the leave springs yet with no sign of an AAL. The front axle seals were both leaking. There was tranny fluid all over the transfer case. Not to mention that there was oil everywhere underneath all over the bottom of the bed down the side of the gas tank on the rear shocks. He said he replaced the rear main but for some reason I dont believe him. The body wasnt in horrible shape nothing that some hurculiner couldnt cover but I think im gonna pass on this one. Now im on the hunt for another one

Old 08-06-2010 | 12:12 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker

From all of those leaks it is a good idea to pass it up.

The 94 is OBDI (not an issue) and yes it had a solid front axle (no clue what he's talking about). The 94 was the first year of the 2nd gen so you got a lot of parts left over from the 1st gen trucks. Personally, I'd stay away from a 94 just because of it being the first year.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 94 ram gotta couple of questions?