2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

latest project: ram air hat

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So, does your truck have AM/FM cassette or have you upgraded the head unit?

Seriously, it makes a big difference in IAT at WOT.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:27 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have an aftermarket pioneer head unit. I did have the old tape deck, until it started making a nest for the birds within itself with my tapes.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:01 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
So, does your truck have AM/FM cassette or have you upgraded the head unit?

Seriously, it makes a big difference in IAT at WOT.
So thats why my truck is such a dog. Or maybe its because I've never replaced the plenum.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:07 PM
RamSport97
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
Hey AIM, what type of paint did you use? I have some wrinkle black, but it didn't work out quite like the label. Is that just flat balck rustoleum?

Also, did you use a ivet gun to attach the other snorkel? Or are those just screws? I would like to know the type of screws if you would be so inclined.

Thanks,
--Dan
I know this! I used to run a drop base 14x3. Just stating that he ran into problems.

I don't think you understand what I am talking about. Where the airbox housing of the Spectre kit, meets the drop base, there is a gap that exposes the filter. A smaller height filter may fix this, but it might not. I'll just leave the dispute at that, since your building your own take on Aim's setup.

Last edited by RamSport97; 08-09-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:31 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RamSport97
I know this! I used to run a drop base 14x3. Just stating that he ran into problems.

I don't think you understand what I am talking about. Where the airbox housing of the Spectre kit, meets the drop base, there is a gap that exposes the filter. A smaller height filter may fix this, but it might not. I'll just leave the dispute at that, since your building your own take on Aim's setup.
oh, I see what you are saying.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:39 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker

Aim, are you using a 14x3" K&N inside this?

Old 08-09-2010, 11:42 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Originally Posted by RM_Indy
Aim, are you using a 14x3" K&N inside this?
he is using a K&N. But it takes a 9 inch!!! I know, I was surprised when I opened mine. If you look at the lid, it sits in where that first ridge from the outside of the round is.

So only a 9 incher.

I am getting the spectre element. It is about 1/2 the price of the K&N.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:02 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker

OMG, only a 9" dia filter?
I think Hemifever is right.
The reason your going rich instead of lean is cause you have less air flowing than before.
That filter is causing a restriction.
A 9x3 filter has approx 56% less surface area than the 14x3 does.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:33 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Originally Posted by RM_Indy
OMG, only a 9" dia filter?
I think Hemifever is right.
The reason your going rich instead of lean is cause you have less air flowing than before.
That filter is causing a restriction.
A 9x3 filter has approx 56% less surface area than the 14x3 does.
Another part of this project is seeing if I can get a 14x3 filter in there.

It may not be a 9 inch filter. I think it is a 12 inch. It fits inside a 14x3 with about .5 inch of space leftover.

The filter fits, but a 14x2.75 (from the mopar air hat) is just a bit too tall. If I put some weatherstripping around the rim of the bottom pan, I am about 99% sure it will seal correctly.

I am working on that one.

--Dan

Old 08-10-2010, 07:48 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That filter was a concern I posted up over at Bionic:

The filter seems significantly smaller than the one I'm currently running.

'92-'96 Dak:
Round Air Filter
Height: 2.75 in (70 mm)
Inside Diameter: 7.5 in (191 mm)
Outside Diameter: 9.25 in (235 mm)

Current filter:
Round Air Filter
Height: 2.875 in (73 mm)
Inside Diameter: 11 in (279 mm)
Outside Diameter: 12.5 in (318 mm)

It's 1/4 inch thicker, so there's more pleat exposed, but not nearly as big a circumference. Curious as to what my flow really needs to be with a Fastman 50mm TB. I wonder if a different filter can be run in the lower track of the hat and still seal filter to the lid and the lid to the box? That'll also depend on how I mount the second snorkel to the hat as well.

This was Ray's response:

In the mean time, the stock size air filter will be all you need. Air flow requirement is based upon cubic inches and rpm and in a quarter mile race you are only at that peak rpm for a few seconds out of your total time. I use a Fastman 52mm, a K&N replacement filter, and shift at 6000 rpm. I've proven to myself that this air cleaner setup flows all the air my combo needs so it will be more than adequate for yours. Remember, an engine is an air pump and can suck only so much air. Exposing it to more than it needs doesn't help it breathe any better. The most important part is access to cooler air than found under our hoods.

There is a wider secondary groove that a larger filter may fit in. I'd have to pull the screws and go rivets for sure to pull that off.

I guess the best way to test would be to put the old hat back on and check MAP readings at WOT, right? If MAP goes lower than 0.9 on the old setup, I guess I have a restriction, right?

Here was a another post he made earlier that got me thinking about this originally:

Yes, mine is the original air cleaner with a second snorkel added. The air filter itself is fairly small, about 10x2.5 as I recall yet it works just fine. According to K&N, I should be running at least a 14x3 filter for my cubic inches and rpm (6000). Soooo, I got a Ram Air box (like you referenced) and installed it with larger openings in the rad support. Guess what.....no gain. -sigh-

Quick Reply: latest project: ram air hat