2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

replaced intake gasket . . now no fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Kaldir
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome. I am glad you fixed this issue. I was following the thread since you first posted. Hopefully you can purchase yourself a dodge and join is back here. Or recommend this site to your buddy who owns the truck. Good job.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:42 AM
stands2p
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, we may have a failsafe event here. How this works on Dodge:

In the event of unsafe condition, low fuel pressure, no reference signal and, many other triggers, the PCM is programmed to cut all power TO the entire EFI system via the AUTOMATIC SHUTDOWN RELAY (ASD) found in the PDC.

This as you may or may not already know includes:

- The ignition system

- Fuel system

- Sensor system
asd relay only shuts down the coil and injectors.fuel pump and sensors are not effected.asd will not activate a no bus and a grounded/un-plugged crank sensor wont either.the crank sensor is the only sensor/module that can trigger an asd event.low pressure wont either.is there a fuel pressure sensor on our trucks.no.pull the asd relay from the pdc and the fuel pump will activate.pull the fuel pump relay and the injectors and coil will both fire.key on the asd is active for 1.8sec.fuel pump is 3 sec.how could that be.diff circuits diff events.cough cough bs cough cough on all these new threads new users popping up.

edit......this intake pinching the crank or cam sensor or any wire is bs to.ive done over 150 belly pans from 98-01 and never pinched a wire.1 the crank sensors connector(black) is on the drivers side deep behind the distributor.no way can it get pinched.2 you would feel a wire between the bolt and intake when applying torque to the bolt.

OPERATION - PCM OUTPUT
The ASD relay supplies battery voltage (12+ volts)
to the fuel injectors and ignition coil(s). With certain
emissions packages it also supplies 12–volts to the
oxygen sensor heating elements.
The ground circuit for the coil within the ASD
relay is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module
(PCM). The PCM operates the ASD relay by switching

its ground circuit on and off.

The ASD relay will be shut–down, meaning the
12–volt power supply to the ASD relay will be de-activated
by the PCM if:
1.the ignition key is left in the ON position. This
is if the engine has not been running for approximately
1.8 seconds.

there is a crankshaft position sensor signal to
the PCM that is lower than pre-determined values

OPERATION - ASD SENSE - PCM INPUT

A 12 volt signal at this input indicates to the PCM
that the ASD has been activated. The relay is used to
connect the oxygen sensor heater element, ignition
coil and fuel injectors to 12 volt + power supply.
This input is used only to sense that the ASD relay
is energized. If the Powertrain Control Module
(PCM) does not see 12 volts at this input when the
ASD should be activated, it will set a Diagnostic
Trouble Code (DTC).

FSM.italic so theres no plagiarism

Last edited by stands2p; 08-13-2010 at 04:50 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:10 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by stands2p
asd relay only shuts down the coil and injectors.fuel pump and sensors are not effected[B].asd will not activate a no bus and a grounded/un-plugged crank sensor wont either. the crank sensor is the only sensor/module that can trigger an asd event.low pressure wont either.is there a fuel pressure sensor on our trucks.no.pull the asd relay from the pdc and the fuel pump will activate.pull the fuel pump relay and the injectors and coil will both fire.key on the asd is active for 1.8sec.fuel pump is 3 sec.how could that be.diff circuits diff events.cough cough bs cough cough on all these new threads new users popping up.

edit......this intake pinching the crank or cam sensor or any wire is bs to.ive done over 150 belly pans from 98-01 and never pinched a wire.1 the crank sensors connector(black) is on the drivers side deep behind the distributor.no way can it get pinched.2 you would feel a wire between the bolt and intake when applying torque to the bolt.
I agree that an asd event will not trigger a no bus situation. I just can't vouch if the opposite is true.

I also agree that the "intake bolt pinching the crank or cam sensor wire" to be bs as well. I am no match to your 150 intakes, but I did mine two weeks ago and there is no way you can pinch those wires. You can't even see the crank sensor with the intake removed, let alone find a way to pinch the wire, expecially "above the intake". The cam sensor is in the distributor, so good luck pinching that one at the left rear bolt hole (the furthest distance of the two rear bolts) above the intake too.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:26 AM
djm3452004

"cough cough bs cough cough on all these new threads new users popping up"

So I see we now need to provide photo evidence of problems as we report them. Makes me glad to be a "new user"!

Give the guy a break--maybe he did find something unplugged and didn't want to look like an idiot in front of all the experts.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:09 AM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pcfixerpro
I agree that an asd event will not trigger a no bus situation. I just can't vouch if the opposite is true.

I also agree that the "intake bolt pinching the crank or cam sensor wire" to be bs as well. I am no match to your 150 intakes, but I did mine two weeks ago and there is no way you can pinch those wires. You can't even see the crank sensor with the intake removed, let alone find a way to pinch the wire, expecially "above the intake". The cam sensor is in the distributor, so good luck pinching that one at the left rear bolt hole (the furthest distance of the two rear bolts) above the intake too.
You both are missing what I said and, what was said, was, anytime, the 5-volt supply is shorted to ground, it will cause the PCM to shutdown thus, NO BUS.

I never stated that it's just due to the ASD relay being de-energized. And, that term, ASD means not just the component but, AUTO SHUT DOWN MODE.

Big difference. In this case, it's clear to see what the failure was and the results. Again, a shorted supply will induce a NO BUS condition and, he fixed it 100% by removing the short to ground.

CM

Old 08-13-2010, 01:23 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

No plagiarism? You copied this
OPERATION - PCM OUTPUT
The ASD relay supplies battery voltage (12+ volts)
to the fuel injectors and ignition coil(s). With certain
emissions packages it also supplies 12–volts to the
oxygen sensor heating elements.
The ground circuit for the coil within the ASD
relay is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module
(PCM). The PCM operates the ASD relay by switching

its ground circuit on and off.

The ASD relay will be shut–down, meaning the
12–volt power supply to the ASD relay will be de-activated
by the PCM if:
1.the ignition key is left in the ON position. This
is if the engine has not been running for approximately
1.8 seconds.

there is a crankshaft position sensor signal to
the PCM that is lower than pre-determined values

OPERATION - ASD SENSE - PCM INPUT

A 12 volt signal at this input indicates to the PCM
that the ASD has been activated. The relay is used to
connect the oxygen sensor heater element, ignition
coil and fuel injectors to 12 volt + power supply.
This input is used only to sense that the ASD relay
is energized. If the Powertrain Control Module
(PCM) does not see 12 volts at this input when the
ASD should be activated, it will set a Diagnostic
Trouble Code (DTC).
out of the Dodge Ram manual off page 540 and to make it even worse, you've missed the rest of the manual which, if you actually took the time to read it and learn it, you would have noted that in certain conditions, it also states three seconds.

Since you don't know the system function by heart, all you do is go to the manual and look for something, copy and paste it into this forum but, you've only got part of the information there and, on occasion, it's not even applicable. If and when I do copy from the manual I also make note that's where the information was derived. I do not take credit for someone else's work. That's plagiarism by the way.

edit......this intake pinching the crank or cam sensor or any wire is bs to
Really, you've never heard of anyone shorting out a sensor wire under the intake? Wow. Let's do a quick search and see what comes up.

After a quick search, I found this listed at Just Ask Dodge: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...nd-says-no-bus Take a look the Dodge Mechanic's response there. This is very well known.

What you're doing here is basically calling this guy who pinched the wire a liar by stating it's all BS. Why is is BS? Provide some evidence as to this being false. Why don't you ask him if he's lying about shorting the supply wire to ground at the intake manifold bolt if you think it's all BS. He told us point blank many times, he never disconnected them. He was also adamant about making it clear that he was an auto mechanic along with stating more than once that in no way did he take them apart. I take that as an honest answer.

And what's with this here:
cough cough bs cough cough on all these new threads new users popping up.
?? This is sad. Is this inferring that all the new posters are behind some scheme? Sure sounds like it. That way of thinking is not normal. Perhaps you should get that checked out by a professional.

Listen, In all honesty, I am a 41 year old engineer who's just trying to HELP people FIX their Dodge trucks for FREE. I even provide PHONE SUPPORT for 100% FREE of charge. I like doing it, it helps people and, it is fun for me during my time off.

However, I am in no way affiliated with anyone on this forum in any way, shape or form nor have I, nor anyone else, that I have been in contact with through this forum, has participated in any of the above inferences to the best of my knowledge.

If there was such a scheme, it was unknown to me. In my opinion, I don't believe such was the case at all. I truly believe that people are searching on the net and, due to all these posts on Dodge Forum, the search engine brings back Dodge Forum results and, they click on it, read and then sign up so that they can get help with their problems.

This is a large network of people from all over the place. It's summer, the heat is on, and, statistics show a higher rate of incidents that are closely related this month. That's all this is here. I believe I had even commented about that around the time the third person posted the same type of problem in less than two weeks. I believe it's purely isolated cases.

CM

Old 08-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

Originally Posted by cmckenna
And what's with this here: ?? This is sad. Is this inferring that all the new posters are behind some scheme? Sure sounds like it. That way of thinking is not normal. Perhaps you should get that checked out by a professional.CM
Easy there CM. Just double check what that guy was saying. He was being sarcastic because he is a new user and people are calling BS to what another new user said. He wasn't saying BS to the OP.

But I do agree with you on the other points.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:12 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Kaldir
Easy there CM. Just double check what that guy was saying. He was being sarcastic because he is a new user and people are calling BS to what another new user said. He wasn't saying BS to the OP.

But I do agree with you on the other points.
Oh, ok, I misread that. My error there. Sorry about that. My apologies. I thought he was inferring (EDIT referring to) all the other posters that were coming on with similar problems. Again, thank you for pointing that out.

CM

Old 08-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

No problem, it happens to every one. But I also agree that people shouldn't call BS on some thing with out being there, or seeing what is going on first hand, just because "they think this, or they think that."

Old 08-13-2010, 09:44 PM
stands2p
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

out of the Dodge Ram manual off page 540 and to make it even worse, you've missed the rest of the manual which, if you actually took the time to read it and learn it, you would have noted that in certain conditions, it also states three seconds.
Post the page #.thinking you would have if it actually was.lets stay on topic.still wondering how the asd shuts down then entire efi system?still need to know how the truck sense’s low pressure and then to shutdown the entire efi system via the asd?still need to know how does the asd shuts down the sensor system?been searching for the CLUTCH ACTUATOR,GEAR SHIFT FORWARD ACTUATOR,AUTO SHIFT CONTROL and last but not the least less important SHIFT SOLENOID.plz help me i cant seem to find these.ROFLMAO
Since you don't know the system function by heart, all you do is go to the manual and look for something, copy and paste it into this forum but, you've only got part of the information there and, on occasion, it's not even applicable.
LMAO.my first copy n paste from the manual to ad creditability to my post.you do know this is the internet?
Really, you've never heard of anyone shorting out a sensor wire under the intake? Wow. Let's do a quick search and see what comes up.

Plz.what wires can actually get cought under the intake?crank sensor is way back behind the motor no way to get pinch.cam sensors wire enter behind the distributor and from the harness the pigtail is very short coming out the neatly wraped in convolute harness.
After a quick search, I found this listed at Just Ask Dodge: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...nd-says-no-bus Take a look the Dodge Mechanic's response there. This is very well known.
So you had to go off-site to find a no bus issue to validate this.thinking you would of found something on-site with tens of thousands of truck rolling through this site over the years if it was well known or common.
Listen, In all honesty, I am a 41 year old engineer who's just trying to HELP people FIX their Dodge trucks for FREE. I even provide PHONE SUPPORT for 100% FREE of charge. I like doing it, it helps people and, it is fun for me during my time off.
I think we all know you say you’re an engineer.you say it in every thread you respond to and that is suppose give you credibility?i have said it before its your spoken word and supporting info that gives credibility to the post.your post’s haven’t given you any credibility with all the errors.engineers designed our truck with all there issues.mechanics fix there design flaws and work on them daily.not sitting behind a desk on a pc searching the www for the answers.ARM CHAIR MECHANIC at its best.
This is a large network of people from all over the place. It's summer, the heat is on, and, statistics show a higher rate of incidents that are closely related this month. That's all this is here. I believe I had even commented about that around the time the third person posted the same type of problem in less than two weeks. I believe it's purely isolated cases.
Again with this large network of people why go off site for a link? IF IT WALKS LIKE A DUCK,AND QUACKS LIKE A DUCK.ITS A DUCK

Quick Reply: replaced intake gasket . . now no fuel pressure