2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 02:16 PM
44dodger44
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 5.9 4x4 wont start?

I have a 98 dodge 5.9 V8 and it just died goin down the road last friday and wont start back up. When i turn the key on the guages dont work and the fuel pump doesnt engage. but the battery is fine cause it will crank over like it always has. and if i turn the key on and take the fuel system relay out and put it back in it'll engage the fuel pump at a continuous until i try to start it then the pump shuts back off. it has gas in it. wats causing it to not engage the fuel pump or allow the guages to not work properly? have not tried to disconnec the neg cable to reset the PCM yet. and have yet to find any bad relays or fuses.

Last edited by 44dodger44; 08-16-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Check the wires at the back of the block for the cam, and crank position sensors.

You could also try swapping the ASD relay for another one, (wipers?) and see if that improves its attitude any. (in fact, try that first.)

Old 08-16-2010, 04:30 PM
44dodger44

Ok thanks as soon as i get off work to work on it i'll try that. I'm new to DF but its nice alot of very good info. i'm hopin that works its really confusing me. haha

Old 08-16-2010, 08:23 PM
44dodger44

the OBD2 scanner wont read just says error. relays are fine. and getting correct power. camshaft sensor looks fine i honestly am lost with this problem

Old 08-16-2010, 08:24 PM
44dodger44

Switched the relays around and it still didnt work btw

Old 08-16-2010, 10:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Need to find out what's missing then, check fuel pressure, and check for spark while cranking.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:31 PM
44dodger44

i know it needs a new cap and rotor. and it has great fuel pressure when the pump is on. its just not coming on when its suppose to like i stated earlier. could the PCM be out?

Old 08-20-2010, 03:03 PM
44dodger44

i've got no fire now and i did have when the problem first started. i've checked the camshaft position sensor and all my relays. PCM conections look good also. but seems like the problems getting worse while its not even being drove. really need some help figuring this out.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:15 PM
CBR900RR19
Professional

Hey I have a 98 as well and have been going through some of the same issues. Truck just died and no gauges but my fuel pump would kick on for three seconds and then shutoff. Here is my thread there is a lot of good troubleshooting in it. These guys are a wealth of knowledge and anything I can to do to help just ask since we have the same truck and I'm am still going through it but with light at the end of the tunnel LOL!!

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...bag-light.html

I ran this test at the beginning of my problem and it gave me a bunch of codes to start with. After my codes finished displaying I had to hit the trip again to get the rest of the test to complete even though you shouldn't have to. Good Luck

You may want to disable the air bag for safety concerns prior to running this test. This is from a later manual so, it may not be 100% applicable to a 98.

The instrument cluster actuator test will put the instrument cluster into its self-diagnostic mode. In this mode the instrument cluster can perform a self diagnostic test that will confirm that the instrument cluster circuitry, the gauges, and the CCD data bus message-controlled indicators are capable of operating as designed. During the actuator test the instrument cluster circuitry position each of the gauge needles at various calibration points, illuminate each of the segments in the Vacuum-Fluorescent Display (VFD), and turn all of the CCD data bus messagecontrolled indicators on and off.

Successful completion of the actuator test will confirm that the instrument cluster is operational. However, there may still be a problem with the CCD data bus, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), the Engine Control Module (ECM), the Airbag Control Module (ACM), the Controller Anti-lock Brake (CAB), or the inputs to one of these electronic control modules. Use a DRBIII scan tool to diagnose these components. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

(1) Begin the test with the ignition switch in the Off position.
(2) Depress the odometer/trip odometer switch button.
(3) While still holding the odometer/trip odometer switch button depressed, turn the ignition switch to the On position, but do not start the engine.
(4) Keep the odometer/trip odometer switch button depressed for about ten seconds, until CHEC appears in the odometer display, then release the
odometer/trip odometer switch button.
(5) A series of three-digit numeric failure messages may appear in the odometer display, depending upon the failure mode. If a failure message appears, refer to the Instrument Cluster Failure Message chart for the description and proper correction. If no failure message appears, the actuator test will proceed.

(6) The instrument cluster will begin the Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD) walking segment test. This test will require the operator to visually inspect each VFD segment as it is displayed to determine a pass or fail condition. First, all of the segments will be illuminated at once; then, each individual segment of the VFD will be illuminated in sequence. If any segment in the display fails to illuminate, repeat the test to confirm the failure. If the failure is confirmed, replace the faulty instrument cluster.

Following completion of the VFD walking segment test, the actuator
test will proceed as described in Step 7.

(7) The instrument cluster will perform a bulb check of each indicator that the instrument cluster circuitry controls. If the wait-to-start indicator does not illuminate during this test, the instrument cluster should be removed. However, check that the incandescent bulb is not faulty and that the bulb holder is properly installed on the instrument cluster electronic circuit board before considering instrument cluster replacement. If the bulb and bulb holder check OK, replace the faulty instrument cluster. Each of the remaining instrument cluster circuitry controlled indicators except the cruise indicator are illuminated by a Light Emitting Diode (LED). If an
LED or the cruise indicator in the VFD, fails to illuminate during this test, the instrument cluster must be replaced. Following the bulb check test, the actuator test will proceed as described in Step 8.

(8) The instrument cluster will perform a gauge actuator test. In this test the instrument cluster circuitry positions each of the gauge needles at three different calibration points, then returns the gauge needles to their relaxed positions. If an individual gauge does not respond properly, or does not respond at all during the gauge actuator test, the instrument cluster should be removed. However, check that the gauge terminal pins are properly inserted through the spring-clip terminal pin receptacles on the instrument cluster electronic circuit board before considering instrument cluster replacement. If the gauge terminal connections are OK, replace the faulty instrument cluster.

(9) The actuator test is now completed. The instrument cluster will automatically exit the self-diagnostic mode and return to normal operation at the completion of the test, if the ignition switch is turned to the Off position during the test, or if a vehicle speed message indicating that the vehicle is moving is received from the PCM on the CCD data bus during the test.

(10) Go back to Step 1 to repeat the test, if required

Old 08-21-2010, 06:44 PM
44dodger44

I performed the actuator test today and came up with codes 920
921 999 and none of the guages move. And if the keys on and you move the cluster any at all. It goes off.

Quick Reply: Won't start