2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No codes for a transmission issue possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:44 AM
darndodge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No codes for a transmission issue possible?

Been having a problem with the 2-3 shift on my 97 5.9 gas w auto..Has fluid and tv cable is adjusted properly ..Now Im suspecting gov. pressure solenoid or sensor?...Should I have a code and check light for a defective one?

Old 08-30-2010, 09:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Not necessarily......

Might wanna post in MonteC's transmission thread (stickied at the top of this forum), and give some more details on what it is/is not doing.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:04 PM
darndodge
Rookie

Thought Id try here first, maybe someone has seen the exact thing happen. My transmission will try to hang on to 2nd gear until 3000-4000 rpm. If I get out of the pedal it might shift .Sometimes it wont shift until I put it in nuetral then back to drive. My other shifts are fine though 1st can be a little steep at times..any help?

Old 08-30-2010, 02:46 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try skimming threw MonteC's thread to see if you can find your problem.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:57 PM
lblair04
Veteran

My truck did the exact same thing. Shifted fine in 1st gear but held onto other gears for a long time. I didnt have a CEL. I took it to a tranny shop and he hooked up his transmission scanner and it read low gov press. Replaced the governor pressure solenoid and transducer. Worked great for about 2 months, then the sensors clogged again with flakes/gunk and my tranny grenaded hard core....

BUT, yours sounds like the same thing. No use putting new sensors in if you have lots of sludge and flakes, cause they will just clog again.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:19 AM
darndodge
Rookie

yeah, I searched the MontCs trans info and figured my gov solenoid was failing. I pulled it tonight and the outer screens were covered in sludge. I blasted them with some silicone spray and they cleaned up good.Not a bit of sludge on the inner screens. Was suprised to see I had no filter on the trans valve body..Looks like it was left off. If I can find out the filter bolt sizes I gonna get one back in there and pop the gov solenoid back in. Should I pull the gov sensor also and do any type of cleaning?

Old 09-01-2010, 07:27 AM
Hg1

You know, there is a lot more to the transmission than electronics, the mechanical components arn't going to throw "codes" when the clutch pack or bands wear out.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:00 PM
jswain
Veteran

Mine did the same thing. Then it wouldn't go into overdrive. Then it would. Then it actually stayed in overdrive when I slowed down to 10 miles an hour. The next day, it shifted fine but would occassionaly hold 2nd longer than usual. No codes. Took it to 2 trans shops, they hooked up their scanners and drove around. Said they coulnt find anything wrong and it would have to get worse before they could diagnose the problem. So, about 2 wks later, it slipped so bad it wouldn't pull itself at all. Now it's rebuilt and I'm scared of it. Lol.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:36 PM
darndodge
Rookie

To let everyone know, transmission is doing great,..Put the cleaned governor solenoid back in along with a new filter..Did not clean the sensor..Now she shifts out smooth ..this site is great!

Old 09-02-2010, 10:21 PM
jswain
Veteran

Originally Posted by darndodge
To let everyone know, transmission is doing great,..Put the cleaned governor solenoid back in along with a new filter..Did not clean the sensor..Now she shifts out smooth ..this site is great!
Glad to hear it, man. I was going to try the gp solenoid on mine when it was acting up. Pulled one off a cash for clunkers truck. The transmission actually failed on my way back from o'reilly's w/ my newly purchased 6 qts of atf +4 in the toolbox so I didn't get the chance to try it. Ah well.

Quick Reply: No codes for a transmission issue possible?