2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

408 Mag stroker

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 05:47 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 408 Mag stroker

All i have to say is HOLY ****!! is this to good to be true???? will this thing bolt up just like a 360 with only an ecm flash from hemifever needed?

Old 08-30-2010, 06:18 PM
GeorgiaDodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it will bolt up. just need transmission done and new gearing, your looking at around 8-10 grand depending on how far you go with it

Old 08-30-2010, 06:26 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 408 is just a 360 block with a different crankshaft, rods and pistons.

yeah. you need a beefier tranny. 2400 for a tranny capable of not exploding. THen about 5000 for the engine, PCM (computer), bigger injectors, better intake.

a 408 engine outright will cost about 6 grand. about 4 grand if you get the parts and do the work yourself. But, there are LOTS of things that a beginner cannot do. Go to the hughes website and look at their instructions for a 408 stroker kit.

They also have a 426 stroker kit (hughes engines).

Old 08-31-2010, 02:54 PM
matty675
Record Breaker

oops i forgot to post the link which was the point of my post- http://www.blueprintengines.com/popu...specs&pc_id=55

if i was to drive it like an old granma till i had enough money to buy a tranny would my current recently rebuilt tranny last? what about a manual conversion would it be cheap/easy? would the t-case hold up? how about the axles?

Old 08-31-2010, 05:06 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Originally Posted by matty675
oops i forgot to post the link which was the point of my post- http://www.blueprintengines.com/popu...specs&pc_id=55

if i was to drive it like an old granma till i had enough money to buy a tranny would my current recently rebuilt tranny last? what about a manual conversion would it be cheap/easy? would the t-case hold up? how about the axles?
I doubt you will be driving it like grandma with a 408 in there. But since that motor only pumps out a meager 370 HP at the crank (about 280 at the wheels) your tranny should last a bit. However, you can get that same HP with the 360 and some heads/cam. Much more with a supercharger and 6lbs of boost (for about 1500 less).

There are no cheap manual conversions. YOu would need to get a new radiator, and route a clutch pedal, slave cylinder....$$$$$$$$

If funds are limited...don't go 408. THey break things.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:58 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks like a solid deal. The heads will hold it back a bit, but still pretty good. If you're itching to buy, save those pennies for a transmission. With that much power, you WILL get the urge to step on it, and then you WILL see parts of the transmission dribble out the back end of the truck, LOL

Old 08-31-2010, 08:19 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker

Its the 325trq at the wheels is what will spit out the trans parts.
Added a deep pan & cooler may hang in for a while

Old 08-31-2010, 09:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Needs a manifold to go with that. That engine is flat tappet,and set up for being carbed. (no injector bosses on intake manifold.) So, you would have to figure that in there as well, not sure how it would like the kegger..... given the 1.92 valves, might not mind it over much. But, I question if it would even bolt on.....

But yeah, I sure it would snort torque converters on a daily basis. Ours sucked from the factory, but that in there, and it wouldn't suck for long...... it would just die. Suppose you could replace it with something better while the engine was out.... but, without rebuilding the transmission, and doing some things to beef it up, and make it more durable/reliable, it's money you would be spending again, when the trans choked and died behind the new power......

Old 08-31-2010, 09:44 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Needs a manifold to go with that. That engine is flat tappet,and set up for being carbed. (no injector bosses on intake manifold.) So, you would have to figure that in there as well, not sure how it would like the kegger..... given the 1.92 valves, might not mind it over much. But, I question if it would even bolt on.....

But yeah, I sure it would snort torque converters on a daily basis. Ours sucked from the factory, but that in there, and it wouldn't suck for long...... it would just die. Suppose you could replace it with something better while the engine was out.... but, without rebuilding the transmission, and doing some things to beef it up, and make it more durable/reliable, it's money you would be spending again, when the trans choked and died behind the new power......
Nice catch there Hey You. Also, you can't run AC with that engine. I read on a lot of websites that it is a NO AC engine. Must not have the bolt holes in the heads for the accessory bracket.

I have seen 408 shortblocks for 2999 online. That is the best to buy because you will need the stock intake and you can put on whatever aftermarket heads you want.

Also, i thought it was torque, not HP that eats trannies?

Old 09-01-2010, 12:42 AM
matty675
Record Breaker

yea i e-mailed the guy about an EFI roller engine with 2.02 heads. but seriously if i can truly contain my foot on the go pedal will my tranny hang in there till i can swing $2500 for PURE EVIL? you guys seem to be steering me in the direction of 360, why is that and how much hp can i get with heads and cam on a 360? i was looking at around 4500 on a 360 with heads cam tune all inclusive until i found that 408. also is this 408 an LA Block and will that work? if its the ssame block y cant i run a/c?

Quick Reply: 408 Mag stroker