2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

*Tuner questions*

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010 | 10:41 AM
MeanMagnum
|
Amateur
Default *Tuner questions*

I'll start by saying hello. I just purchased a 2000 Ram 4x4, 5.2L, 5-speed. Love the truck! Last few days I've been doing TONS of reading on here and other sites, as I LOVE to mod and tinker with my vehicles. I looked and I do have the "deathflash" and figured a tuner from superchips or SCT would be the best place to start. Right now truck is bone stock, well mantained, and runs well, BUT I have been around engines long enough to know that there is more there. It "feels" restrained, timing is def. retarded.

First off, SCT or superchips? I am sorta leaning towards superchips only because when I search for the flashpak by vehicle the same one comes up for my truck and my wifes '08 300 3.5L. Sooo cant I kill 2 birds with one stone here? It said part # 3865 for both. I'd love to mess with the car as well as my truck. I read alot of posts saying the # was 3815, but when I looked (twice) it said 3865, is this a new model? Any reason to go with SCT over superchips? It would have to be good, cause I'd really like to use one tuner for 2 vehicles...

Thanks for the time and awesome site!!

Old 09-06-2010 | 10:50 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I could be wrong, but all the tuners will only work with one vehicle. And I hope in doing your searching around you came across info about the lower intake gasket(better known as the "plenum gasket". If not research it here. The SCT is great if you plan on doing some big time mods in the future. If not, the S Chips is fine. Plus it does tire size if you ever go with oversize tires. Where as the SCT does not.

Oh! And BTW, welcome to DF.

Old 09-06-2010 | 10:53 AM
talon6
Record Breaker

3865 is the newer model. and you can only use a tuner on one ride at a time. if you are not planning on doing a bunch of mods the 3865 will work great for you. if you are gonns do a good bit more modding than i would go with the sct. though you can get canned tunes for the sct also. contact hemifever on here. he can hook you up with the sct for a cheaper price than you can get anywhere. actually if you just go with can tunes the sct is cheaper anyway.

zman,beat me.lol

Last edited by talon6; 09-06-2010 at 10:55 AM. Reason: zmans fast like a cheatah. lol
Old 09-06-2010 | 10:58 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Yea but you gave some more info that I left out trying to beat you!

Old 09-06-2010 | 11:00 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker

Welcome to the forum!
As mentioned either tuner is vin locked & can only be used on one ride at a time
Superchips is intended for minor mods only, its one advantage over the SCT is the tire size speedo correction.
The SCT can handle anything from minor mods all the way up to stroker kits, big injectors & boost.
SCT will give noticeably more with just the can tune.
hemifever@aol.com will sell both tuner & tunes, get the custom & you get unlimited tunes so as you add to performance it wont cost any more (100 more intial price)

Old 09-06-2010 | 11:02 AM
talon6
Record Breaker

yeh, but you hit on the tire size thing. which is the main reason i havent made the jump to the sct. superchip keeps my speedo correct with my 35's.

Old 09-06-2010 | 11:09 AM
MeanMagnum
|
Amateur

Ok so you order one based on 1 vehicle, got it. Only mods I planned on was better wires/coil, E-fan, possibly headers/muffler, fastman TB, and rollor rockers. No head or cam work, just basic bolt on stuff. The above stuff are maybes. I did add a drop in K&N the other night, but that was mainly so I don't have to buy anymore filters...Still s.chips? What do you guys think bout the mod ideas? Wires and coil worth it?

I did check the plenum and so far so good. With the miles that are on it I'm sure its been fixed before, I just hope they did it the right way (hughes). I wanna do the roller rockers and exhaust mods for sure though.

Last edited by MeanMagnum; 09-06-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-06-2010 | 11:10 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

There is one other thing, besides the added info that Indy, You and I have provided. If you go with the SCT, most Dodge dealers (when the service guy knows his **** or does not feel like being a dick that day) can program the PCM for tire size.

Old 09-06-2010 | 11:15 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by MeanMagnum
Ok so you order one based on 1 vehicle, got it. Only mods I planned on was better wires/coil, E-fan, possibly headers/muffler, fastman TB, and rollor rockers. No head or cam work, just basic bolt on stuff. The above stuff are maybes. I did add a drop in K&N the other night, but that was mainly so I don't have to buy anymore filters...Still s.chips? What do you guys think bout the mod ideas? Wires and coil worth it?

I did check the plenum and so far so good. With the miles that are on it I'm sure its been fixed before, I just hope they did it the right way (hughes).

I doubt they did the plate. Keep an eye on it. SuperChips will be fine for your planned mods. And IMHO stay away from the Accel coil. In any case keep the stock one in the truck with you. Besides, just adding a coil will do jack.

Old 09-06-2010 | 11:22 AM
MeanMagnum
|
Amateur

More question guys. When this deathflash is gone will it be night and day with the 5.2 just like it is I hear for the 5.9? Also with the tune I can set it at the reg. fuel tune or premium octane tune right?