2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

locked up rear-end

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 10:40 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When I see the title of this thread I think, Ex-lax.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Good Luck finding those. Most 2nd gens came with the 3.55 ratio, no matter what they were rated. (my 3/4 ton has 'em as well....)

Old 09-14-2010, 12:07 AM
donizer
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all the help and advice guys! but between my school and work schedules i wouldnt have time to fix it till the weekend, and im supposed to go to snow bash this weekend and sell a bunch of sled parts, so im gunna **** the money away at the garage.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by donizer
well if i get 3/4 ton ones im gunna go 4.10s, soo a couple good brakestands will take care of
Then be prepaired to spend the $$ to have the gears changed to 4.10 in the front axle if its 4wd....They have to match...in otherwords it will cost you more than having your current axle rebuilt not saving but costing$$.....you could put the 4.10 axle in and never use the 4wd but it will only be a matter of time till your tempted or have to use it to get out of a jam and you'll end up messing things up that way.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
When I see the title of this thread I think, Ex-lax.
I agree...

Old 09-14-2010, 02:34 PM
donizer
Rookie

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
Then be prepaired to spend the $$ to have the gears changed to 4.10 in the front axle if its 4wd....They have to match...in otherwords it will cost you more than having your current axle rebuilt not saving but costing$$.....you could put the 4.10 axle in and never use the 4wd but it will only be a matter of time till your tempted or have to use it to get out of a jam and you'll end up messing things up that way.
well i took a better look at it before they hauled it to the shop and when it locked up (looks like the pinion bearing failed) it jammed the pinion upwards and looks like it cracked the whole housing....then snapped the U-joint clean off....on a side not im quitting mopar i think lol. Threw a battery in the jeep, some fresh gas and checked the air in the tires last night after work. got on the road at 615 to drop the dog off to get er fixed not more than 5 miles down the road a couple wheel studs snapped off and the front tire passed me, spinning me into a phase of pissed off ive never been in in my entire life lol guess its just not my week...next im gunna find out the old lady is "late"....i hope not, knock on wood lol

Old 09-14-2010, 03:33 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

you should do it yourself...changing the whole assembly is easy.... i did it on a 03 dakota with no lifts, no power tools....just regular tools, and some jackstands...got it done in about 5-6 hours....very simple....

Old 09-14-2010, 04:39 PM
donizer
Rookie

well I have class 7:15-2:30 and work 4:00-10:00 all this week and next week, so it would just be sitting, and i walked around my local pick-n-pull and everyone they had the covers off and a couple things missing or the axel shafts pulled out, or were just too far gone to re-purpose in my truck. Im gunna have the garage do it, finish the body work and hopefully sell it this spring. I love my gen 2 and the sound of a straight pipes 318 but i really want a cummins lol and it would prolly pull the sleds and pulling trucks better lol

Quick Reply: locked up rear-end