2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hello all a little tech help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 09:16 PM
ash_09
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello all a little tech help needed

I have two potential problems, and I am not sure if they could be linked. Firstly I have a 01 Ram 1500 5.9l.

I seem to be going through anti freeze quickly, and I never seem to have any puddles under my truck. My windshield has a coating of greasy fog on the inside of it, I am wondering if there is anyway my antifreeze is leaking into the heating system slowly and going up through the defrosters. if thats a possiblity can a simple can of leak stop cure it?

The second thing is on ocaision the truck won't start proper. I turn the key it starts but dies immediatly afterwards. If I start it with the gas depressed a bit it will run. However the second I let it drop down to idle it dies. This has happened in all weather conditions including two weeks with out rain. Sometimes it runs, I stop and turn it off and then the problem rears its ugly head. Sometimes I go weeks with out this happening.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Ash

Old 09-19-2010, 09:25 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

your heater core is leaking. the proper fix is to remove the dash and replace it. it'll cost a fortune at a shop. you might squeak by with some stop leak. and the last option temp fix is to disconnect the heater hoses at the firewall, connect them together, and bypass the heater core. obviously this will yield no heat.

poor idle is most likely the IAC. remove the old one and make sure the port is open into the throttle body. you can poke it out with a small screwdriver. if port is open ok, then replace IAC for about 40-50 bucks at any parts store.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:33 PM
CBR900RR19
Professional

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
your heater core is leaking. the proper fix is to remove the dash and replace it. it'll cost a fortune at a shop. you might squeak by with some stop leak. and the last option temp fix is to disconnect the heater hoses at the firewall, connect them together, and bypass the heater core. obviously this will yield no heat.

poor idle is most likely the IAC. remove the old one and make sure the port is open into the throttle body. you can poke it out with a small screwdriver. if port is open ok, then replace IAC for about 40-50 bucks at any parts store.

Oh hell ya beat me to it LOL!!!

Old 09-19-2010, 09:46 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

gotta be quick!

Old 09-20-2010, 08:31 AM
ash_09

Thanks for the response guys, I'll have to get right on it because winters fast aproaching here in New England and with out a good running defroster I'm up the creek with out a paddle.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:44 PM
ash_09

Well new IAC is in and I used stop leak in my radiator to try to save from having to do a big job. Now I guess its just time to play the waiting game to see if the truck has any starting problems and see if it gets low on antifreeze again.

Thanks guys
Ash

Old 09-21-2010, 07:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

You realize the stop leak is only a band aid fix, right? And of course, it will decide to stop working when it is well below freezing outside.... might wanna take advantage of the warm weather, while you have it, and do the 'big job' while its NICE out, instead of in the dead of winter.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:15 PM
CBR900RR19
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You realize the stop leak is only a band aid fix, right? And of course, it will decide to stop working when it is well below freezing outside.... might wanna take advantage of the warm weather, while you have it, and do the 'big job' while its NICE out, instead of in the dead of winter.
Been there!!! So true so true LOL

Old 09-21-2010, 11:03 PM
ash_09

yeah I do realize it...just short on time and even shorter on cash. Just hopeing to make it through this winter. thanks for the heads up though

Old 09-21-2010, 11:24 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

anyone ever use black pepper or a raw egg as a stop leak ?
it actually works...

Quick Reply: Hello all a little tech help needed