2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 2500 HD - Beef-up Leafs for Dump Bed

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 11:33 AM
kevdawg327
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 2500 HD - Beef-up Leafs for Dump Bed

Hi Guys,
I have a 99 2500 HD SRW 2x4 5.9L V8 Gas. I have a small landscaping business and want to put replace my bed with a dump bed, but I am worried that after the added weight of this bed, I wouldn't be able to carry much anyways. I have been told that if I beef up the springs, my truck is the same as a 1 ton. After some research on wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_R..._.28BR.2FBE.29, and putting in my vin at - http://www.decodethis.com/Default.as...KC23Z6XJ641180, it looks like I have a Dana 60 axle, and I believe the frame is the same as the 3500.

So what say ye? Do you think this is do-able, what do you think I can safely carry in this vehicle. I should probably beef up the brakes too if I do this. Also, side note, for all those unhelpful wisecrackers that just say that you should "just get a different truck" - I know, but that is easier said than done my friend. I appreciate any feedback,
Thanks,
Kevin

Old 10-04-2010, 12:51 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kinda weight you looking at for the dump bed, I would suggest getting airbags vs. adding leafs, you will be able to get a better ride by being able to change the air pressure relative to being loaded or not and then you not stacking multiple packs of leafs

But either way would work, now just remember this will not effectively change the payload of the truck and being a work truck you could end up with some hefty fines if anything were to happen, and you were over the weight limit of the truck. Brakes should be alright as they are good for towing alot more than I think you could fill that truck up with, but a nice set of pads and going to chevy 1 ton brake cylinders will help a bit

Old 10-04-2010, 07:09 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Buyers makes ploy bump that go inside your stock bed. http://www.dumperdogg.com/ I have looked at getting one a few time but I now have access to a dump trailer. That is another thing to look at I got a dump trailer for 6k I don't know how much your gonna spend to mod your truck to where you want it to be but its another thing to keep in mind.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:23 AM
kevdawg327

Yea, exactly. I have thought about getting a dump trailer instead. I want to be able to bring a compact loader and material in one trip. I could put the Dingo in the bed, and buy a dump trailer, but that is about 1900lbs in the bed, then pull another 3-5 tons behind? Might be a lot on the drivetrain and engine. Fudge I should have bought atleast a 1 ton to start with, but cash was/is tight starting out and have learned more as I have done more.

I have read a little about those airbags, do they distribute the weight better? Make the load sit higher? Both? I know that weight has to ultimatly be on the axle or tires, but does it make the back end not sag? Any info on those would be appreciated.
Thanks guys,
Kevin

Old 10-05-2010, 09:48 AM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The airbags will help handle a load similar, to an actual dumptruck, you fill the airbags up with air to a desired pressure this will take some time to find a pressure that you like the feel of, it will take weight off the leafsprings and will stop rear end sag.

Air bags will go between the frame and axle, so same weight on axle and tires, and it will help with the towing too, stiffens it way up when you crank the pressure so your not bouncing all over the road, do a search on it and you can find out alot more

Old 10-06-2010, 12:31 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kevdawg327
Yea, exactly. I have thought about getting a dump trailer instead. I want to be able to bring a compact loader and material in one trip. I could put the Dingo in the bed, and buy a dump trailer, but that is about 1900lbs in the bed, then pull another 3-5 tons behind? Might be a lot on the drivetrain and engine. Fudge I should have bought atleast a 1 ton to start with, but cash was/is tight starting out and have learned more as I have done more.

I have read a little about those airbags, do they distribute the weight better? Make the load sit higher? Both? I know that weight has to ultimatly be on the axle or tires, but does it make the back end not sag? Any info on those would be appreciated.
Thanks guys,
Kevin
2k in the bed max but your not gonna pull 5 tons as well lol. My friend who has the dump trailer he was way over loaded 7 tons and his chevy 2500 with 4.10's had issues pulling it down the road and stopping was insane he said. He didn't have time to wave the loaded off when he came back with a full bucket. I'm looking at bagging the rear of my truck as well for plowing season. This is the trailer he got http://www.appalachiantrailers.com/c...rs-special.php pretty good deal for 6k.

My only bitch about that trailer is there is a lot of tounge weight to it. He really should have gone goose neck or 5th wheel. Better for handling really heavy loads.

Oh and we work with a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton and 2 trailers and thats it.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:15 PM
kevdawg327

Cool. So my rear curb weight is 2160, with a gross rear axle rating of 6200 - (both axle and springs are rated for this as well, obviously). With a gross vehicle weight of 8800 (front and rear curb is a total of 4985. So am I correct in thinking that I should be able to carry 4,000 pounds in the bed. This seems rediculous to me. Right?

Old 10-06-2010, 04:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

I had over 5000 pounds of dirt in the bed of my 2500..... it didn't even squat that bad. Granted, out of the hole performance was basically non-existent, but, unless you were navigating very hilly terrain, the truck just didn't seem to care it was back there. in fact, it actually RODE NICE........

Quick Reply: 99 2500 HD - Beef-up Leafs for Dump Bed