2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Frustrated to the max with my Dodge..............

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 05:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

My 96 has all the original 'big' parts still, engine, trans, axles, etc. Only thing that was done to it was maintenance. No major repairs at all, and it too, was a farm truck. (and it is obvious it did NOT have an easy life on the farm....) I have done some minor repairs, and have had to maintenance the crap out of it, but, 165000 miles, still runs good, shifts nice, and drives ok. Rides like a damn truck though.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:12 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
My 96 has all the original 'big' parts still, engine, trans, axles, etc. Only thing that was done to it was maintenance. No major repairs at all, and it too, was a farm truck. (and it is obvious it did NOT have an easy life on the farm....) I have done some minor repairs, and have had to maintenance the crap out of it, but, 165000 miles, still runs good, shifts nice, and drives ok. Rides like a damn truck though.
my '01 has 162000 miles on her, and has the original engine, t-case and axles. tranny is newer. other than that it has all been maintenance parts. i take her off-road once and a while and plow with her every winter. i do treat the ole girl with love and respect though.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Maybe the OP got a 'monday' truck?

Old 10-11-2010, 06:40 PM
MaxPower1971
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys...mine too still has all the original ''big'' parts....The source of my frustration comes from the fact that maintenance was made very difficult on these trucks due to positionning of certain parts.....

Old 10-11-2010, 06:46 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

im a big guy to. not as big as you guy, but i happen to have no problems getting to any of the parts no matter how tight the space is. the term is "work smarter, not harder"...best way to get to the cap is to find a comfortable position laying down on your motor, thats what i did and didnt have a single problem. when i did my cps i sat on the fender with my feet on the frame and reached around the head to the back of the motor. you just have to think about things before you do them, and it will go alot smoother.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:47 PM
CappinHoff
Veteran

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
I disagree because, my truck has been treated very very well for a truck. The worst thing it's done is haul a fourwheeler around on a trailer. It really has had a great life. I've always been very picky about maintenance on anything and always done it on time or before. Yet I still have all of these problems, and when I come on the forums it seems that 95% of the other posters are having the exact same problems with the exact same parts broken the exact same way. That shows me it's a design flaw, not a case of abuse.

My 96 Accord on the other hand has 272k miles and is just starting to have issues. It's literally had the **** beat out of it for over half of it's life. It's been to the drag strip several times, and just really driven hard it's whole life. We also lived up a long steep rough dirt road for a while, and this thing was driven up and down it everyday which is really hard on any vehicle. It's why it's had several sets of brakes and the exhaust had to be changed. It's had a few axles changed, a few sets of brakes, an exhaust or two, and a few hoses. That's really it and this car has just had a really rough life. It's overheated several times from our own stupidity. Once a hose busted going up that mountain road and we didn't notice until it started getting hot. We have had one two times like that where we just didn't stop in time. Just recently it's started acting like it has a head gasket blown as the anti freeze is leaking, but it's not coming out anywhere that's visible. Like I said, this just happened and it's got 272k miles and rough miles at that. That's not a cheap fix, but it's not that major either.

Also have a 06 Accord with 91k miles. No issues with it either other than one set of breaks, and a battery. I did have a few service bulletins performed, but they were all done free, and were not really any problems so if they hadn't been done, it wouldn't have really mattered.

My grandmother also had a Chevy Caprice she has babied and had since new. Always serviced on time, waxed every month or two, and probably never been over 55. It gave her problems all the time. She had several computers put in it, it often wouldn't start, etc. She kept it for about 10 years and was dumping money into it all the time. I liked the car even though it wasn't the most reliable. So when she finally got fed up she gave it to me free. I've also had several issues, but by the time I got it it was pretty old, but low miles, so I can't say too much. However, even when it wasn't old with her it had tons of issues. It's only 2 years older than the 96 Honda and has 72k miles and it's had about 15-20x the repairs.

My truck has 130k miles, and has been having one major problem after another since 90k miles, and it had quite a few smaller issues that added up long before that. Sad to say, but it's been treated way better than the Honda's and had way way more issues. I mean hardly anything other than the body on this truck is original and the body is rusting at the bottom of the doors and paint is not looking the greatest. It just really is a POS. I've also got several friends with American vehicles, most of whom have grown up with them and will probably always have them and every since one of them is a piece of **** and has a ton of problems. There is one exception I can think of to that, but the rest have been pieces of crap. A few of them have even traded them in and ended up with a Honda, or Toyota.

Honestly, quality wise the American cars aren't on par and never have been. The Japanese cars seem to have dropped in quality the last few years, but they are still light years about the American cars. However, you will always have people who have grown up with American cars and will defend them to their death no matter how many problems they have. Most of my friends that have them are exactly like this, as are most of the forum. They also seem to think that they are supporting American workers, and keeping jobs in this country, yet don't seem to realize or care that most of the cars and trucks are made in Mexico, while Honda's and Toyota's are made right here in the US.
I'm gonna disagree with you again. I have a 1984 Chevy Celebrity with 400k miles on it. Original motor, trans everything except tires and wipers. Again it's about care and if you get a bad vehicle off the line. Toyota, Hondas, Nissan you name it have the same issues american cars do.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:51 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by CappinHoff
I'm gonna disagree with you again. I have a 1984 Chevy Celebrity with 400k miles on it. Original motor, trans everything except tires and wipers. Again it's about care and if you get a bad vehicle off the line. Toyota, Hondas, Nissan you name it have the same issues american cars do.
absolutely. my very first car was a '95 civic when i got rid of it it had 368k miles on it. my next car was a prelude, 99k miles on it when i sold it, now my truck, 162k on her and all my vehicles were/are as strong as ever. it all depends on how you take care of them and how the came off the line could result in a bad experience.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:57 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Originally Posted by zman17
I understand why you are being stubborn, but you'll never get what you want for it. Nobody cares how much money you've spent on it. So you might as well keep it,use it,fix it and stop bitching about it!
Exactly, I wont get what I have into it, but I've literally got $15,000 into it for repairs on top of the pretty large cost of this truck when I bought it. What other kind of car takes $15,000 in repairs over 9 years? Never one I've seen. I just want to get enough out of it to at least pay for a chunk of something of a similar year from Toyota, but that doesn't happen either. 01 Rams seem to sell for about $4000 at max for nice ones, where as you can't get a 01 Toyota Tundra around here for under $7000 and those are for basic models with hand crank windows. Just another example of how ****ty the resale is on these trucks in addition to the rest of the problems they have. If they were that great, the re sale wouldn't be so much lower than other trucks of similar years.

I figure for $2500, I'd be better off to just keep it and use it when I need it. Plus I'm not going to sell something for $2500 that I just spent $2800 2 months ago on a transmission for. I tried to get rid of it for $2500 with the bad transmission, but no bites on that at all. If I do sell it for that, I'd have to put at least $7000 additional into it just to get a stock Toyota of a similar year, and I honestly don't use a truck much at all so I hate to do that.

That being said, my truck does have the original motor so I guess I should give it that. It's had the pleneum done which was an expensive fix for a horrible design. It's also still got the original front axle, but it's a Dana, not a Dodge design, so that's probably why it's lasted. The rear end is partially original, but the ****ty LSD Dodge puts in these from the factory broke, so I do have an aftermarket LSD. The transmission has been twice, the ****ty A/C evaporator has been replaced (talking to an owner of a shop I worked for he said that he has never seen one on these trucks that hasn't been leaking, A/C compressor has also been changed. The front end parts are a horrible design that have had to be changed.They crappy dash that cracks to pieces on everyone has had to be replaced, the rest of the interior and the actual dash not just the top cover is now also cracked, but I've had to live with it. There is also a ton more stuff that I'm sure I'm forgetting that's been replaced too. It's just one thing after another and several of the things have been replaced several times. Those are all design flaws, that most guys have. So it's not just me that has these issues.

Last edited by hometheaterman; 10-11-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:03 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

Obviously you havent heard about the toyotas that have a recall for rusting out in the frame were there buying back or fixing the trucks by doing a complete swap of frames thats a 10k in a single step not very cheap is it, what about the 4x4 problems they had to have a recall about or maybe the gas pedals slipped your mind, and if it doesnt get better you have stuck gas pedal and no brakes thats fun......

And yes to the OP it was designed a special way that makes the cap and rotor hard to get to but they are looking for people to come back to the dealer to get it fixed and its easy once you know what your doing

Old 10-11-2010, 07:20 PM
CappinHoff
Veteran

Originally Posted by redheadhunter21
Obviously you havent heard about the toyotas that have a recall for rusting out in the frame were there buying back or fixing the trucks by doing a complete swap of frames thats a 10k in a single step not very cheap is it, what about the 4x4 problems they had to have a recall about or maybe the gas pedals slipped your mind, and if it doesnt get better you have stuck gas pedal and no brakes thats fun......

And yes to the OP it was designed a special way that makes the cap and rotor hard to get to but they are looking for people to come back to the dealer to get it fixed and its easy once you know what your doing
Exactly. If you actually call around and do some digging you will find that the foreign cars are being recalled just as much if not more than american cars. You hear about the american cars the most, cus they are made here for the most part. No car has a perfect design. Look at the 2009 honda civic my mom bought. If she needs to replace the tire it needs to go back to honda or she has to find a certified mechanic that can do it.

Quick Reply: Frustrated to the max with my Dodge..............