2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Rebuild Checklist

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 02:18 PM
superdudedwk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Rebuild Checklist

Im Gearing up for a complete rebuild, (and upgrade) of my 46RE so I just want to make sure I am getting everything I need

I Have a 96 Dakota (I know wrong forum but you guys are the ones to ask for a 46RE question) 4x4 5.2L with 114,000 and a 46RE and the reverse went out not too long ago. I have been looking into rebuilding and I decided I would do a full rebuild; clutches, bands, etc... I also want to install the Sonnax Sure Cure kit, install an auxillary cooler, install a temp sensor, and a dodge to GM governor solenoid change.

Before I do I want to know A) Is there anything else you guys would recommend doing while its out? B) what rebuild kit do you guys recommend? C) what torque converter do you guys recommend?

Oh and if it makes a difference I am planning on swapping out the 5.2L for a rebuild and slightly improved 5.9L soon. Any links or advice is greatly appreciated, I wouldnt know half of what I know now without you guys on this forum. THANKS!

Last edited by superdudedwk; 10-11-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Look on page six of MonteC's trans thread, there, you will find a list of parts that were recommended for a member that was rebuilding his trans. Bear in mind though, that he was regularly towing a 7000 pound trailer, so, there are some of the 'upgrade' parts that you wont really need. (the hard parts. extra clutches and such are a very good idea.) If you go by that list, and get everything on it..... I think you would be hard pressed to break your trans.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:03 AM
superdudedwk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome Thanks!

Quick Reply: Transmission Rebuild Checklist