2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front axle shaft bearing & race question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:39 PM
nitroman0619
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front axle shaft bearing & race question...

I am new to the forum, so go easy on me. I have a 1996 dodge ram ext cab 4x4 auto 5.9l gas. I have a driver side axle seal that is leaking, so we went into it and we took the bearing race off of both sides where the 3rd member is....The one on driver side has a black place on it where it looks like it might have spun it or been riding more on that part or something. The other side looks shiny. My question is should this race be replaced or is this normal?

Ideas and comments greatly appreciated....

thanks

kenneth

Attached Thumbnails Front axle shaft bearing & race question...-racepic.jpg  
Old 10-14-2010, 10:51 PM
FarmBoy428
Veteran

im no pro but i can tell you thats def not normal
I would have that thing replaced, along with a new front axle shaft bearing...etc...

Old 10-14-2010, 10:51 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

welcome to df.
its a little worn, probably from low fluid caused by leaking seal. i think that if you fix your seal, and keep it full of oil, it'll be alright.
see what others say....

were you hearing any terrible noises?

Old 10-15-2010, 09:13 AM
nitroman0619

No didn't here any noises that I know of. The front driver side seal was leaking and we went into the diff to fix and noticed this race worn like it was. I think I will go ahead and check on price and avail and get one just to be safe like farmboy428 said....

thanks

kenneth

Old 10-15-2010, 11:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

The bearing caps only hold the race in place. The race does not move on the cap. At least, its not supposed to........

Also, I am not sure that you can just go out and buy a new cap, and install it, and expect it to solve the problem. I would suspect that it will simply generate a new problem...... Reassemble your diff, with the original parts, in their original positions, and torque them to spec. Keep the fluid level up, and you should be ok.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:45 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just my op but replace both caps and the bearings. With the carrier assy out I would bolt on the old caps and torque to spec then get a bore micrometer and check the holes for out of round,then do the same with the new ones and compare.The bearing races should not be turning in the caps. I would be going though every part of that carrier assy very carefully looking for hot spots and bearing chatter marks. By adding new parts you will need to reset your gear lash back to the proper pattern.You can get the caps from most trany and diff shops along with the bearings.

On the other hand you can probably put it back together and never have a issue but you never know.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:09 PM
nitroman0619

Thanks for the info guys....I think I will just put it all back together.

kenneth

Quick Reply: Front axle shaft bearing & race question...