2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How To Clean The Plenum?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jeezus. HIT IT WITH AN AXE!

Old 10-19-2010, 05:41 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lennemann23
Yeah I figured I would do that. Also, what can I use to get the rest of the oil and dirt off the plenum? And can I use a wire wheel (not brass) to remove the old pieces of gasket that is left on the plenum anywhere?

Dude! Use a razor blade, and after that, a sanding block with fine grit paper on it. Right before installation, clean all the surfaces with denatured alcohol as mentioned previously. You do know a Haynes or downloading the FSM from the FAQ section would answer your questions as far as the smaller(but important details go).

Old 10-19-2010, 05:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

I wanna sandblast mine...... (not the gasket surfaces....) I had it hot tanked, but, it still looks like it was sitting outside for a hundred years. Going to install it on saturday, so, need to come up with a method pretty quick.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:53 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

It's just going to look like that again, unless you clean the motor like SilverDodge and a few other members here do. All depends on what your looking for I guess.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:57 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey You... use oven cleaner... don't allow it near your boss ports though... tape those rascals off... spray and let it sit for about five minutes or so... hit it with a hose... I promise it will be clean...

Or, a box of Tide powdered detergent, mixed with water to form a paste smeared all over it, liberally in the bad areas, allowed to sit until hardened and then blasted off with pressure will also clean that baby up- and it's not near as intrusive/corrosive as the oven cleaner.. You may find yourself doing this two or even three times, but it will do the trick.. If you have access to a steam genie, not just a pressure washer but a steam genie, this will work magic.. and again, it's not near as corrosive/intrusive as the chemicals in oven cleaner..

here is something a little off subject but a curiosity of mine: since you guys have your intake off, would any of you mind to snap a pic of the runners and post them? I had zero intentions of doing the 'keg mod' when mine was apart, but DANG- looking at the ports on those runners, if I didn't know any better I would swear they were broken off a mold at that point.. they were rough and uneven... I ended up cutting about an inch and a half off (at an angle of maybe 50*), and grinding and polishing them up... I'm not sure if it makes any performance difference whatsoever, but I just couldn't stand to go through all that work just to put it back together looking like that... I would love to see if mine was an anomaly or if it is the norm...

Old 10-19-2010, 06:03 PM
lennemann23
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't a forum for asking questions? So why do people like zman17 and vwandodge get upset when I ask a question? If you don't like the question don't reply. By the way yes I do have a haynes. Thanks for everyones help on this.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:07 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey dude.... I can understand you being apprehensive about the whole thing.. it can be a little intimidating to be sure- especially if you're not familiar with it or do things like this regularly...

if it gets to be too much....

hit it with an axe..

sorry, I couldn't resist... :-)

it'll get there... just search, research, and when you come up blank- ask... this forum has been magic for me for a long time though I just started contributing a little while ago..

but seriously, hit it with an axe.. :-)

Old 10-19-2010, 06:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
Hey You... use oven cleaner... don't allow it near your boss ports though... tape those rascals off... spray and let it sit for about five minutes or so... hit it with a hose... I promise it will be clean...

Or, a box of Tide powdered detergent, mixed with water to form a paste smeared all over it, liberally in the bad areas, allowed to sit until hardened and then blasted off with pressure will also clean that baby up- and it's not near as intrusive/corrosive as the oven cleaner.. You may find yourself doing this two or even three times, but it will do the trick.. If you have access to a steam genie, not just a pressure washer but a steam genie, this will work magic.. and again, it's not near as corrosive/intrusive as the chemicals in oven cleaner..

here is something a little off subject but a curiosity of mine: since you guys have your intake off, would any of you mind to snap a pic of the runners and post them? I had zero intentions of doing the 'keg mod' when mine was apart, but DANG- looking at the ports on those runners, if I didn't know any better I would swear they were broken off a mold at that point.. they were rough and uneven... I ended up cutting about an inch and a half off (at an angle of maybe 50*), and grinding and polishing them up... I'm not sure if it makes any performance difference whatsoever, but I just couldn't stand to go through all that work just to put it back together looking like that... I would love to see if mine was an anomaly or if it is the norm...
Steam cleaner is a good idea........ I had considered painting it... so it wouldn't get quite so oxidized again.

Isn't a forum for asking questions? So why do people like zman17 and vwandodge get upset when I ask a question? If you don't like the question don't reply. By the way yes I do have a haynes. Thanks for everyones help on this.
They aren't upset. They just have a sense of humor.

And do NOT use a wire brush on ANY gasket surface on your manifold. Steel (wire brush) is harder than aluminum (manifold) and you will end up scoring the surfaces, and NEVER get a good seal.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:43 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I'm not upset!!!!!!! LOL Well now I am! Read the damn manual then. There are certain small (but important details) as I mentioned, that WE might forget to tell you, and you'll have the manual/knowledge while you are doing the job.. If you read something in the manual that confuses you or you want to know what is best used for a particular aspect of the job, NO problem, ask away! I for one will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have. You can even PM me if you like.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Steam cleaner is a good idea........ I had considered painting it... so it wouldn't get quite so oxidized again.

They aren't upset. They just have a sense of humor.

And do NOT use a wire brush on ANY gasket surface on your manifold. Steel (wire brush) is harder than aluminum (manifold) and you will end up scoring the surfaces, and NEVER get a good seal.
+1.................

Old 10-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seriously, get a hooker. It makes life easier.

Quick Reply: How To Clean The Plenum?