2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans line check valve symptom???

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:15 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

While the pan is off check the wire harness https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ise-speed.html and install one of these in the pan, makes life a lot easier.

Name:  DSCF0614.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  109.6 KB

Old 10-21-2010, 06:24 PM
BlkdOuT98Ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
While the pan is off check the wire harness https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ise-speed.html and install one of these in the pan, makes life a lot easier.

What are you saying? Just to check the wire while I'm in there? Because, I'm not experiencing any of the problems they state in that thread. When I had the pan and filter off, I looked over everything. No shavings, no broken/loose wires, etc.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:28 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I'm not saying it's the problem. Just check the whole harness while you have the pan off. That's all.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:32 PM
BlkdOuT98Ram

I'm not saying it's the problem. Just check the whole harness while you have the pan off. That's all.
Thats what I thought, but wanted to make sure... lol Thanks for the help!!!

Old 10-21-2010, 08:52 PM
BlkdOuT98Ram

For some reason, the pic of the plug doesn't show up on my work pc, but I just saw it on my phone, so that's why I was confused earlier.

Tonight, I took a little "diagnostic drive" and found out that whenever I go WOT, it shifts really hard afterward. Fine going through it, but after slowing back down it sticks till 3k rpm. I didn't have to shut it off though, and there's no slipping. I threw it in park at a light, then back in drive and it was fine again. To me that pretty much defines a pressure sensor issue, but it's not throwing any codes either. Still think its the gov pressure sensor and solenoid?

Old 10-22-2010, 06:07 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I think so. I could stop like you have or while I was moving, I could put it in neutral momentarily, back to D and it would shift and be fine until the next time I slowed.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Yes, they are indeed adjustable. The procedure is listed in the manual you got, and I believe there is a DIY in the FAQ section as well.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:39 AM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Governor Pressure Sensor and Solenoid.
Alright, I've got a question here and, while we are on the subject of trannies, I may have a possible problem myself. I am going to post my problem in Monty's section but, since I just saw, this, (I'm not going to post my problem here) rather ask two questions here in attempt to avoid hi-jacking or diversion of the OPs problem.

I would like to know: What is the function of those two components mentioned above?

AND

The second question is: What component/s is / are responsible for automatically down-shifting the TC while climbing grade?

AND

How many gears of TC are there for, there seems to be more than just the ON/OFF per the O/D ON/OFF to the TCC O/D solenoid on mine.

Thank you,

CM

Last edited by cmckenna; 10-22-2010 at 11:43 AM. Reason: bad wording
Old 10-22-2010, 12:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Ok, disclaimer first...... I am not a transmission guru, Just echoing what I have learned over time. I think it is accurate.....

On the older style, hydraulically controlled transmissions, fluid pressure was used to determine shift points. Higher the RPM, the more pressure the pump would be putting out. This was modulated by the TV cable, basically, the harder you are stepping on the go pedal, the higher the trans would let the pressure get, before shifting into the next gear.

On the newer, electronically shifted trannys, pressure is controlled, and monitored by the PCM (or TCM, depending on make/model/year....) and the controller uses preset values to determine just when to shift, also taking into account TPS readings. The TV cable is still there, and 'should' also have an affect on shift points, but, how it accomplishes that, I am not sure. I suspect it has some effect on fluid pressure as well..... hinting to the controller that something is happening.

Downshifting: According to popular theory, the TV cable should have the most influence on this, followed by the TPS, and the engine load values. (calculated by PCM?) When any particular condition, or, a preset combination thereof, occurs, the controller will downshift. Maybe even twice, depending on how seriously inputs change. (slight hill, little pressure on the gas, gets one gear lower. stomping on the gas, gets two.....or more....)

Torque converter clutch is either engaged, or not. It isn't really a 'gear' so to speak, it just prevents the torque converter from slipping, at all... makes a direct mechanical connection from the engine, to the input shaft on the trans.

Under normal conditions, when accelerating up to freeway speeds, (just as an example.) you should see a pretty good drop going from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, a slight drop (200 to 500 RPM) when the TCC engages, and then a pretty significant drop on the 3 to 4 shift. (this is the way my trans behaves. I HOPE it is 'normal'. )

The idea of the TCC, was to reduce the heat buildup in the trans fluid, while running in OD, by locking the torque converter.

I am pretty sure it gets more complicated than that, but, I think that is basically it.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:11 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So, there is no gearing at the OD level- got it. I have something going on then for sure for, when applying the brake (lightly- just enough to engage the pedal disconnect CKT) the TC disengages (as it is supposed to) and, sometimes, it remains in this "in-between gear" thus pulling up the hill without issue. When letting off the brake, it will drop 500 rpms and, at 1800 rpm / 48-52 MPH, I've got a bog condition.

This "in between gear" is not the same as when using the O/D ON / OFF switch for, it is not as low.

This just started happening last week in fact and, I've got to get on this if it's a tranny issue.

CM

Quick Reply: Trans line check valve symptom???