2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans line check valve symptom???

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 02:23 AM
BlkdOuT98Ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans line check valve symptom???

Not getting a response to the symptoms I'm experiencing with my 98 46re in another thread, so I thought I'd post more specific about it. Everything is perfect, unless I have a long or short and hard highway drive. When I get back on to main roads, she doesn't want to shift... at all. Best I can get is 2nd at 45/50mph. BUT, here's the kicker... I can literally pull over, shut it off, start it right back up, and the tranny shifts just as normal as if nothing happened. Changed out fluid (DID NOT empty Torque Converter), and filter, and dropped in a bottle of Lucas... same problem. It seems that anytime I put it under stress (i.e. hard acceleration to pass, etc.), it causes the problem, but then it just goes away with an off/on restart.

So, besides the restart fix not being relevant to this, I'm now thinking it's my trans line check valve. Would it stick closed after heating up possibly? Meaning harder driving causes more heat, causing the valve to stick? I can drive my truck all day/night without an issue until I get on her. I know 2 "Master" mechanics, and all 3 of us have been stuck on stupid. I'm going to do the check valve delete anyways... but I need to find this problem before it gets any worse.

Thanks in advance! I've only had her for a couple weeks, and coming from a Ford background, this site is teaching me a lot!!!

edit - it seems to be getting better. The last 2 nights, driving home from work, she didn't do the "no shift". Fluid/filter change out was this last Saturday - 5 days ago... if that helps any.

Last edited by BlkdOuT98Ram; 10-21-2010 at 02:25 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:57 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is probably not the check valve. If your tranny is overheating it will throw a tranny temp light (pic of transmission and temp underneath it). It will also be followed up by turning off your OD. And you cannot manually turn it back on unless you turnyour truck off and restart your truck.

The symptom of a bad check valve is a broke tranny, not a poorly functioning one.

Just delete it and see if it helps, but i doubt it.

I have an aftermarket tranny temp sensor, and a deep pan with cooling tubes. I have never seen my tranny get over 149* (taken from tranny pan). Most driving is only 139*

I have not towed anything since installing the tranny temp sensor though. I am guessing about 20* higher.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:59 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, your problem could be a torque converter on its way out. I had to get mine replaced.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:04 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Governor Pressure Sensor and Solenoid.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:35 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

+1. And I'll add that if you added Lucas to it, a rebuild is in your imminent future.

Lucas is a stop gap to fix leaky seals. It swells and softens them to the point where break up and clog the internals. I have no idea how long it'll run with it in there, but it will fail, and most shops will charge you extra to clean that crap out.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:05 PM
BlkdOuT98Ram

The Torque converter doesn't explain the shut off and immediate restart solution. Either does putting Lucas in it I know it has to be a sensor, or something that is getting reset with the restart because that restart doesn't change temp, so I'll go with the Governor Pressure Sensor and Solenoid since that was already suspect but I have yet to read anyone with the same symptom.

I do like the idea of a new, deeper pan and temp gauge though, so I'll install one soon. I was going to do the check valve delete already, but wanted to see if that could stick closed under higher temps. Since the fluid/filter change (AND addition of Lucas :P ) it has been getting better and better. Doesn't do it all between home and work. I'm going long distance this weekend, so I'll see about it then too.

Thanks!

Old 10-21-2010, 05:36 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I had to get out of here and go to work this AM or I would have also stated, the Gov pressure sensor and the gov solenoid are the most common problem. Besides the fact, 2 weeks ago I had the exact same issue. I adjusted the bands and made sure the TV cable was within factory specs. Those 2 things I recommend doing regardless, even though I did them first and neither did jack shat for the symptom, until I replaced the Gov sensor and solenoid. Shifts like a dream now. Change the fluid and filter again, to get as much of that Lucas crap out.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:41 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Sorry, don't know what the double post was all about.

Last edited by zman17; 10-21-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:59 PM
BlkdOuT98Ram

Originally Posted by zman17
I had to get out of here and go to work this AM or I would have also stated, the Gov pressure sensor and the gov solenoid are the most common problem. Besides the fact, 2 weeks ago I had the exact same issue. I adjusted the bands and made sure the TV cable was within factory specs. Those 2 things I recommend doing regardless, even though I did them first and neither did jack shat for the symptom, until I replaced the Gov sensor and solenoid. Shifts like a dream now. Change the fluid and filter again, to get as much of that Lucas crap out.

Good deal! That's what I was looking for, someone else who had the same symptom. She already shifts like a dream, except just once in a while when I get off the highway, otherwise, she's strong. So f'n strange! Thanks for the info!

Old 10-21-2010, 06:05 PM
BlkdOuT98Ram

Oh, and why is my good friend/parts guy telling me that I can't adjust the bands in this one because they're hydraulic? I've never done it before (I've rebuilt a couple manuals, but never AOD). I'm not actually asking to explain HIS thoughts, he is admittedly not a tranny guy, maybe just some guidance... lol. Confirmation that they are in fact adjustable in the 46re?

edit - I did download the service manual from the "Merry Christmas" thread, so I'll be thumbing through that later tonight.

Quick Reply: Trans line check valve symptom???