2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Getting ALL the Air Out Of Coolant System

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:40 AM
GammaFlat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by audiomechanic
Good advice! I'll be doing that when I do the WP again. It's leaking from the back of the pump but on the passenger side so I at least know it's not that metal tube since that's on the driver's side.
You may want to look at your timing chain while you're that far torn down. The cheap chain and gears from Autozone is 40 bucks. There are better ones (Cloye, Hughes Engines) for more money. I did a Hughes.

Good luck!

Old 02-07-2012, 08:04 PM
sunmicroman

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Start with a cold engine. Remove the radiator cap. Start the engine, and let it warm up. Having the truck parked facing uphill sometimes helps too..... when the thermostat cycles, first it will push coolant OUT of the fill....... then it will suck it back down. There is a neat tool for this, that is basically a funnel that attaches to the radiator neck, so you aren't blowing coolant everywhere....... when the funnel gets on toward empty, add some more........ let the thermostat cycle several times, and it 'should' get all the air out.
I know this is an old thread, but I just tried this (put the passenger side of the truck up on a ramp) with a funnel and it did push the coolant up, but never back down. It just sat there with the funnel almost full the entire time the engine went to full operating temp (and opened the t-stat). When I revved it a while later, I did see a few small bubbles come up, but the level in the funnel never went down. In fact, when I finally shut the motor off after a 1/2 hour or so, coolant was still in the funnel and I had to let it spill out just so I could put the radiator cap back on.

Does this mean there is no air in my system? The way it went I have less coolant now in there then when I started since I had to basically dump what was in the funnel after I was done.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:22 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the tstat open? Did radiator get warm?

Old 02-07-2012, 08:25 PM
sunmicroman

Yes, it got to normal operating temp. Temp gauge would go up to 195-205F or so and then back down to about 160F or 170F. It would go back up and then down again, as I let the motor run for about 1/2 hour. I also revved it a few times and let it run revved up a while too. Upper radiator hose was warm. Coolant level never moved in the funnel.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:34 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If temp gauge works and heat works in cab, then you may have all of the air out of the system. Make sure the seal on radiator cap is good.

Old 04-26-2020, 04:35 PM
tacklebox
Default Advice

i got a 08 dodge 1500 5.7 hemi tryin burp the cookin system got the passenger side jacked up n it’s been runnin for bout 30 minutes with cap off n hasn’t sucked down any suggestions

Old 04-26-2020, 04:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Originally Posted by tacklebox
i got a 08 dodge 1500 5.7 hemi tryin burp the cookin system got the passenger side jacked up n it’s been runnin for bout 30 minutes with cap off n hasn’t sucked down any suggestions
Post in the third gen section.

Quick Reply: Getting ALL the Air Out Of Coolant System