2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

3.9 swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaius
Correct. I was thinking he was swapping everything, including tranny.

The 3.9 harness can easily be adapted to the 5.2 if he's keeping the 5-speed, if one knows wiring and has the books.
Very true, just add two injector connectors with appropriate wiring and lengthen coil and alternator pigtails a few inches.

Still need a 5.2,M/T computer, though. It will run and drive with the A/T computer, but as others have mentioned, you'll have a permanent MIL with P07XX and other trans codes up the wazoo.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:51 PM
villaniller

Originally Posted by Sixtysixdeuce
Very true, just add two injector connectors with appropriate wiring and lengthen coil and alternator pigtails a few inches.

Still need a 5.2,M/T computer, though. It will run and drive with the A/T computer, but as others have mentioned, you'll have a permanent MIL with P07XX and other trans codes up the wazoo.
What is the M/T and MIL? I'm not good with the codes.

How would I add the 2 injector connectors to the current computer? Or use the computer from the donor truck and have all the tranny codes stay on?

Old 11-06-2010, 08:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

M/T= Manual Trans

MIL= Malfunction Indicator Lamp. Another term for check engine light.

The six cylinder wiring harness simply won't have the wires for the two additional injectors, however, the cavities in the PCM connectors will still be there. Not sure if the six cylinder computer will have outputs for them though.... getting a PCM from a V-8, manual trans truck would be best. (same year as your truck please.)

Adding the wiring for the injectors is just time consuming. You could scavenge those from the engine donor truck, along with the wires for the coil, and alternator. (as opposed to lengthening them, up to you on the last two) Simply a matter of getting the wires out of the old harness, and putting the into the new harness. (make sure you plug them into the correct cavities on the PCM connector.....)

Old 11-07-2010, 04:43 PM
villaniller

Originally Posted by HeyYou
M/T= Manual Trans

MIL= Malfunction Indicator Lamp. Another term for check engine light.

The six cylinder wiring harness simply won't have the wires for the two additional injectors, however, the cavities in the PCM connectors will still be there. Not sure if the six cylinder computer will have outputs for them though.... getting a PCM from a V-8, manual trans truck would be best. (same year as your truck please.)

Adding the wiring for the injectors is just time consuming. You could scavenge those from the engine donor truck, along with the wires for the coil, and alternator. (as opposed to lengthening them, up to you on the last two) Simply a matter of getting the wires out of the old harness, and putting the into the new harness. (make sure you plug them into the correct cavities on the PCM connector.....)
Thanks alot. I think I have it figured out now.

Quick Reply: 3.9 swap