2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hughes vs. aps questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Saber6
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My truck is actually at the shop right now getting the Hughes plenum pan installed. I just got a call from the tech. They told me the front intake gasket and rear intake gasket are not the same part, but the kit Hughes sent me had two fronts and no back. The shop has the part in stock, but it's part of an entire kit. Because of Hughes' error, I'm paying extra!

I'm calling Hughes on Monday. I think they need to (at least) refund me the gasket kit cost.

Bottom line... I think you should go with the APS part. (Mainly, because I'm pissed righ now!) Oh, I should also mention that the plenum gasket in the Victor Reinz kit (part of the Hughes plenum kit) was a thin, punched, all metal gasket. The tech told me he likes the metal filled Fel Pro gasket best. I told him to use the $12.00 Fel Pro.

Last edited by Saber6; 11-05-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:51 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Got my Hughes 1 1/2 years ago, no problems what so ever. So there is obviously some sort of problem over there. In light of the recent probs with them posted on here, I too would have to recommend giving APS a shot.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:55 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm on a computer now, and not a phone so I can elaborate a little more... the following is my opinion and nothing more, and based on my experience with Hughes..

I placed an order consisting of Plenum Repair Kit, bolts, 'super tune kit', and SCT tuner. Shortly after ordering I received an email requesting PCM code for my specific truck.. I filled out the request and sent it back... Several days later the order arrived.. I knew the SCT wasn't in the box, as there was a wait period of four weeks for it.. What I should have done right there on the spot was inventory and inspect the order- but instead I set it aside until the work began.. I ASSUMED the order was complete and accurate..

I received a call from Hughes, from a very abrupt person asking the PCM numbers, and instead of arguing or telling him to "eff off, check your 'effin mail", I just said "you'll get it in a few moments", as it was on my computer at the time (the form).. I sent it.. He said it would take a couple weeks.

I started working on the truck... I discovered, once my intake was off, cleaned, and ready to install new pan, that the order DIDN'T consist of tty bolts, and that the gaskets were all dicked up.. I also discovered that my 'super tune' tuning kit was several plugs shy of eight (off the top of my head I can't recall how many short).. and that I was royally screwed as this is my daily driver (and only driver as it is).. Now who's fault is this? yeah, it's mine.. I should have inventoried and surveyed the order immediately.. I didn't.. So, I played a nice role in screwing myself too- but it should have been there all the same..

a long story takes place, which I thought enough of to post here sometime back.. the title of the thread is something to the effect: "I thought I'd share..".. I won't bore you again..

I sent an email to Hughes telling them how discontent I was, and informed them that "if the SCT hasn't physically shipped, please refund $ NOW", and continued that "failure to respond to this message in action (refunding the $) or verbiage will result in a chargeback from my card-holder"..

I received an email, which I failed to respond to- and don't feel one bit bad about it- from who I would assume is their manager/supervisor.. it stated (paraphrased) "we are sorry for this issue and want to know exactly what went wrong and what was missing".. they continued "we have reimbursed your card $500, of which the SCT represents $375 in effort to make this right"..

Now, the reason I'm telling you all of this, is that Hughes wants to do what is right.. they took it on the chin on my order trying to make it right.. They had pissed me off so severely (read that thread I mentioned) that I refuse to even communicate with them.. BUT.. it isn't Hughes in principle- my guess, is that they have a single (or maybe three at most) little turds working for them that pull orders, who really don't care about anything but their paycheck.. Whatever though, right? That isn't my problem, it's theirs.. However, I'll never allow myself in a position to rely on them again..

they tried to make it right.. that needs to be known as much or maybe more than the fact they dueced on me too..

Old 11-05-2010, 02:12 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

No doubt it was some slacker. I'm not writing them off yet. As far as the SCT goes, you should have contacted Hemifever for that.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:18 PM
drewactual
Champion

.. you are absolutely right Zman.. Once I saw the $$ returned, I contacted Hemifever.. He lives about 2 hours from me.. I place the order on a Friday morning, and had the tuner Saturday afternoon via USPS..

I placed the order with Hughes.. and I'm into 'one stop shopping'.. I should have heeded everyone here's advice..

all's well that ends well.. I guess.. I'm real happy with how my truck turned out, so I'm happy.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:20 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drewactual
.. you are absolutely right Zman.. Once I saw the $$ returned, I contacted Hemifever.. He lives about 2 hours from me.. I place the order on a Friday morning, and had the tuner Saturday afternoon via USPS..

I placed the order with Hughes.. and I'm into 'one stop shopping'.. I should have heeded everyone here's advice..

all's well that ends well.. I guess.. I'm real happy with how my truck turned out, so I'm happy.

this is for you drew...copied directly from hughes site...
Although we do our best to ship orders in a timely fashion, at times, circumstances beyond our control do arise. If you have a time critical order we suggest you phone your order in to us and have one of our staff physically check stock and confirm your shipping options.

if you had noticed this at check out maybe you wouldnt have had such a tough time with them. i plan on phone ordering my plenum kit just to make sure its all there considering they will check stock with you right over the phone.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:03 PM
drewactual
Champion

Uh, I dropped about 7 bills with them. I DID read everything. The problem was THEM NOT shipping what they SAID they had. Furthermore, the SCT shipment was quoted at four weeks shipment. SIX weeks later it hadn't even been received by THEM, much less shipped to me.

Maybe you're aware, or maybe you're not, but it is unlawful to hold someone's $ more than thirty days without offer of refund or documented permission to hold longer- I'm thinking most folks aren't aware of this. I didn't need further justification to the cc company other than confirmation email of when it was ordered.

Fortunately, the Hughes management staff are stand-up guys and not only quickly refunded my money, they refunded MORE than that which was lost, without knowing WHAT wasn't shipped or what was shipped damaged. That is a stand-up thing to do. The next stand-up thing for them to do is MUCH better QC. With management as they have, they should recover quickly from this rep they have developed.

I'm trying to be fair with them, me, and the reader of these posts by explaining each side. It humors me that someone injects something to asses blame back to me... I've explained my role in the eff up. It wasn't based on my reading comprehension skills there pard.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Hedrock
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
Well, lets get someone to order the APS and see if they are any better. I did not have any of those problems with Hughes. I think some one may have been having a bad day at Hughes, but, that is no excuse.
I guess I'll be that person. I've ordered the kit from APS and 20 days have gone by and no parts to be found. I talked to Wayne at APS after 10 days and he told me he would re-ship the part 2nd day air. 10 more days have gone by and he won't answer his phone or any e-mails. I guess I should have gone with the Hughes kit.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:35 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by Hedrock
I guess I'll be that person. I've ordered the kit from APS and 20 days have gone by and no parts to be found. I talked to Wayne at APS after 10 days and he told me he would re-ship the part 2nd day air. 10 more days have gone by and he won't answer his phone or any e-mails. I guess I should have gone with the Hughes kit.

I saw your post in the other thread, damn shame.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Demoes4x
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the tools to do it fabricate a new plate using the stock one as a template. Material $20, plenum and manifold bolts $30, gaskets $30, RTV $3, I used the RTV in place of the front and rear gaskets.
For about $85 bucks you can GETTER DONE......
LOOK HERE.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...n-process.html

Quick Reply: hughes vs. aps questions