2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My "Rock Solid" Ram Steering Upgrade Experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 05:09 PM
Toby Hammett
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Don't forget (like I did....) the little wire that goes from the column, to the PRNDL in the instrument cluster.........

Aside from that, I think ya got it.
Okay so I'm back at it after the holidays and those top two black/star nut looking things holding the middle of the column are interesting as I'm having a hard time getting a good fit with any socket - 3/8 too small, 7/16 too big, 10mm fits but then rounds it...

Anyway, my larger question is where do I disconnect the entire wiring loom at? I've disconnected the black plastic piece in the middle that holds it to the steering column but if I go to pull out the steering column the wiring loom appears to still be attached, not seeing how I can remove the harness from one end or the other from what I see here? Thanks

Old 01-03-2021, 07:56 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Hammett
Okay so I'm back at it after the holidays and those top two black/star nut looking things holding the middle of the column are interesting as I'm having a hard time getting a good fit with any socket - 3/8 too small, 7/16 too big, 10mm fits but then rounds it...

Anyway, my larger question is where do I disconnect the entire wiring loom at? I've disconnected the black plastic piece in the middle that holds it to the steering column but if I go to pull out the steering column the wiring loom appears to still be attached, not seeing how I can remove the harness from one end or the other from what I see here? Thanks

Remove the plastic surrounding the column and unplug then from there switches

Old 01-03-2021, 10:12 PM
Toby Hammett

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Remove the plastic surrounding the column and unplug then from there switches

Many thanks MoparFanatic - I've got the three bolts at the bottom and two bolts midway up out/loose so thanks for that last bit of advice

Old 01-09-2021, 03:08 PM
Toby Hammett

Many thanks MoparFanatic - I've got the three bolts at the bottom and two bolts midway up out/loose so thanks for that last bit of advice
Okay so I have removed cough, broke some of the plastic surround on the steering wheel to access some of the plugs I need to disconnect in order to remove the steering column from the truck - well there is an additional 5 wires that appear to have no connector and end into a box below the ignition. Super frustrating at this point as it doesnt appear they just pull out - any thoughts? Much appreciated -

These are the 5 wires that go from the large wiring loom attached to the column and seem end here, below the ignition.

This is a look from the key side, you can see that black box where the wires enter doesnt look like something I need to be taring into...ugh

Old 01-09-2021, 06:51 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Okay so I have removed cough, broke some of the plastic surround on the steering wheel to access some of the plugs I need to disconnect in order to remove the steering column from the truck - well there is an additional 5 wires that appear to have no connector and end into a box below the ignition. Super frustrating at this point as it doesnt appear they just pull out - any thoughts? Much appreciated -

These are the 5 wires that go from the large wiring loom attached to the column and seem end here, below the ignition.

This is a look from the key side, you can see that black box where the wires enter doesnt look like something I need to be taring into...ugh
It unplugs if memory serves right there are two tabs on the side

Quick Reply: My "Rock Solid" Ram Steering Upgrade Experience