2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My "Rock Solid" Ram Steering Upgrade Experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 01:12 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by CrayeZ
I might be interested. Where are you located and how much? pm me if it's still available
You are posting in an old thread. The post you are referring to is from 2013, I doubt he still has it, but you never know.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:56 PM
'96 Power Wagon
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought maybe you would be interested in this video dealing with the same Ram situation. ...

Old 08-25-2018, 01:48 PM
CavemanDodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

New to this forum. Just found the rock solid youtube video and product online this morning, and have emailed a couple questions to them directly. I've got a '98 Dodge 2500 4x4 with the 24V diesel, manual tranny. It has 313,000 miles and runs perfect. It DOES have the "wandering" issue, however, and I'd really like to get rid of that! I've had a new 2005, and new 2012, which obviously were super tight (no wander), because they were a much newer system.

My current truck has about 1-1/2" -2" of movement each side of center with the truck shut off. Is this normal? Seems like it should be pretty solid, with very little play. Do you think this is contributing to my wandering issue? I've replaced the drag link, tie-rods, and shocks. Doesn't click and clunk as much now, but still wanders. Les Schwab looked at the PS box and said it doesn't seem to be out of normal spec (it has been replaced by the previous owner).

Thoughts? Thanks for your input!

Old 09-07-2018, 05:43 PM
W8 a minute
Amateur

Back from the dead
I installed this fix and it helped slightly. My issue is that the entire end of the column seems loose. I can grab it and move it a half inch in any direction. The shaft, the little cup that holds "the fix", and the shifter linkage all move. Awesome!

Old 09-07-2018, 07:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Is the bracket loose? Or has the tube broken loose from it??

Old 09-10-2018, 06:43 PM
WhiteSnake91
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still probably need to buy this rock solid ram fix at some point.....I'll try tightening the steering box and see how much that helps if any sometime. When I went to the store earlier, the truck acted like it was about to die so I kept the ignition turned and it slowly sputtered to life, this is on the 2nd half tank worth of good fresh clean gas, previous one I used gumout high mileage regain, and this one used a bit of marval mystery oil since it's actually done this for awhile after sitting.....ever since last year, which I attributed to old gas possibly....the truck started perfectly fine when leaving the store and idles fine, just after sitting awhile it'll die the first time cranked, unless I keep the ignition turned to spin the engine then it slowly sputters to life.....maybe fuel pump, I hope nothing electrical. Unknown repair history on the truck sadly besides the tuneup and new o2 and map sensor I installed a few months ago, 225k miles on it though, could very well possibly be the original fuel pump for all I know -shrug-

I believe I read spectra is about the best aftermarket fuel pump available for most vehicles....(EDIT: spectra is popular on rockauto, but DELPHI is actually the better made one I think I read) heard the autozone and oreilly ones are junk, on top of being double/triple the price of a rockauto pump.

At this point there's no way there's any old bad gas left, so has to be a slowly dying fuel pump I'm guessing since it's only after sitting awhile it does this.

Last edited by WhiteSnake91; 09-10-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:10 PM
jjblbi

Installed this over the weekend and the transformation is amazing. I've had the truck ~ 3 years and the steering always made crunching and growling noises when turning the wheel. Smooth and quiet now, highly recommended.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:30 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by jjblbi
Installed this over the weekend and the transformation is amazing. I've had the truck ~ 3 years and the steering always made crunching and growling noises when turning the wheel. Smooth and quiet now, highly recommended.
Glad it worked for you. Thanks for letting us know it works.

Old 12-11-2020, 03:34 PM
Toby Hammett

I know this is an old thread but I installed the rock solid bushing and my steering is so tight it turns the gear selector into another gear - so I need to remove it. Here is the question, to remove the steering shaft from inside the cab do I need to remove the steering wheel and that entire assembly or can I loosen bolt up down by my feet and release the steering shaft from that point? I looked down by the feet and there is this strange metal looking cage thing covering the shaft - doesn't appear obvious how to get that off. Any guidance would be appreciated. thanks

Old 12-11-2020, 04:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Should be a couple bolts where the column mounts to the dash, and a couple more where it mounts to the floor. Shift linkage, some electrical connectors, and out it comes. Leave the steering locked when you pull the column, else you run the danger of trashing the clockspring.

Quick Reply: My "Rock Solid" Ram Steering Upgrade Experience