2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My "Rock Solid" Ram Steering Upgrade Experience

Old 11-07-2010, 06:50 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My "Rock Solid" Ram Steering Upgrade Experience

I'm sure everybody has heard of the "Rock Solid" Ram Truck Steering Upgrade. My truck has larger tires, and wanders all over the place. Well I've replaced my steering gear, hoses, and even upgraded to a steering stabilizer, but the problem still persisted. So before I started into the more expensive upgrades, I decided to try the Rock Solid fix. Got the package today, and jumped on the project. The package contained everything I needed aside of a dremel, pliers, and grease. It contained the new bushing, new retainer, and a piece of PVC pipe to install everything. The directions were VERY VERY clear. I've gotten some directions that were terrible before, but this was not an issue here. They contained color photographs, pictures of the parts you are removing, and how things should look when the new bushing is installed. Very straightforward. The removal process was a little complicated because I had no Dremel or cutting device to remove the stock retainer. So I used a pair of RoboGrips lol. I grabbed the entire spring and pulled the hell out of it, after nicking the corners with cutters. Finally broke it loose. Removed the retainer, spring, spring cup, and two other parts. Covered the ID (Inner Diameter) of the new bushing with grease and used the PVC to hammer in the new part. Then did the same with the new retainer but allowed an 1/16" gap between the bushing and the retainer. Greased everything else up and took it for a test drive. The truck feels more secured on the road, if you know what I mean. It doesn't wander like it used to, and the steering wheel feels somewhat tighter and more responsive. I also used to hear a vibrating sound when my truck was on, and the fix eliminated that.

All in all, the upgrade was a success, and a great one at that. The disassembly was a little complicated, but would have been better had I had a Dremel to cut the old retainer, but the install was easy as can be. For $60, this was a great upgrade, and definantly noticable since all my previous upgrades. Just thought I'd share!

Last edited by EndIsNear; 11-07-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:55 PM
TheBigRedOne

Pics or it didn't happen.. Good to hear alls running better.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:57 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by TheBigRedOne
Pics or it didn't happen.. Good to hear alls running better.
Lol damn. I knew I should've taken pics. Well I have no "in progress" pics, but I'll get a pic of it installed.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:04 PM
TheBigRedOne

Good deal. I may do this to my tow ram. It likes to wander a wee bit when loaded. I may build a stiffer leaf pack for the rear to help combat that a bit.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:39 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by TheBigRedOne
Good deal. I may do this to my tow ram. It likes to wander a wee bit when loaded. I may build a stiffer leaf pack for the rear to help combat that a bit.
Badass. If you build that leaf pack, post some pics. I'd like to look into that. Anyways, here's a pic. Not much to it

Old 11-07-2010, 08:27 PM
BIGRED97
Captain

can you post a link of where you got it? i have heard of this upgrade and stuff but never really seen what it is and what is replaced.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:32 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 11-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Gaius
Veteran

Nice.

Is this a usual problem with the Rams? I just got one and it has 150k on it, and the steering likes to wander a bit.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:16 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Very common. Along with tranny problems, plenum gasket, track bar, to name a few.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:12 PM
RamSteeringFix Guy
Thumbs up RamSteeringFix Guy checking in for duty.......

Originally Posted by EndIsNear
I'm sure everybody has heard of the "Rock Solid" Ram Truck Steering Upgrade. My truck has larger tires, and wanders all over the place. Well I've replaced my steering gear, hoses, and even upgraded to a steering stabilizer, but the problem still persisted. So before I started into the more expensive upgrades, I decided to try the Rock Solid fix. Got the package today, and jumped on the project. The package contained everything I needed aside of a dremel, pliers, and grease. It contained the new bushing, new retainer, and a piece of PVC pipe to install everything. The directions were VERY VERY clear. I've gotten some directions that were terrible before, but this was not an issue here. They contained color photographs, pictures of the parts you are removing, and how things should look when the new bushing is installed. Very straightforward. The removal process was a little complicated because I had no Dremel or cutting device to remove the stock retainer. So I used a pair of RoboGrips lol. I grabbed the entire spring and pulled the hell out of it, after nicking the corners with cutters. Finally broke it loose. Removed the retainer, spring, spring cup, and two other parts. Covered the ID (Inner Diameter) of the new bushing with grease and used the PVC to hammer in the new part. Then did the same with the new retainer but allowed an 1/16" gap between the bushing and the retainer. Greased everything else up and took it for a test drive. The truck feels more secured on the road, if you know what I mean. It doesn't wander like it used to, and the steering wheel feels somewhat tighter and more responsive. I also used to hear a vibrating sound when my truck was on, and the fix eliminated that.

All in all, the upgrade was a success, and a great one at that. The disassembly was a little complicated, but would have been better had I had a Dremel to cut the old retainer, but the install was easy as can be. For $60, this was a great upgrade, and definantly noticable since all my previous upgrades. Just thought I'd share!

EndIsNear:

Thanks for your install report. Sounds like you did a great job - ripping off the spring with a pair of 'Robo pliers' was a creative touch.

Our instructions suggest the 'dremel tool / small cutting wheel' method - but you've proved that isn't mandatory - ha ha ha.

I'm David Alan, the one who offers the Rock Solid Ram Steering Fix Kit, and one of y'all who ordered recently gave me the link to check out the site.

So, I took the liberty to join, so I could be of what help I may in answering any questions that arise about our Ram truck steering column related wandering / play / clunk or rattling noise issues.

I'm happy to answer how our kit fixes this congenital Ram truck Steering Column weakness - and as I've talked first hand to many Ram truck owners in the 5 years we've offered this upgrade approach, I'm also able to tell your if your steering problem lies in another area:

The steering system can be imprecise for a variety of underlying causes - worn steering knuckles, bad control arm bushings, worn track bar (4x4), stabilizer bar, bad or out of adjustment steering box, worn (or seized !) intermediate steering shaft, or lastly and usually least suspected, the Steering Column itself.

I'll post some pics to help show the column parts before & after install.

They show the manual tranny column, but aside from the shifter mechanism particulars, the Principle is the same.

For an 'after' pic on the auto column, refer3ence the pic EndisNear posted.

Best Regards,

David Alan / www.RockSolidRamTruckSteering.com

Attached Thumbnails My "Rock Solid" Ram Steering Upgrade Experience-my97mtoem.jpg   My "Rock Solid" Ram Steering Upgrade Experience-my97mtoempartsout.jpg   My "Rock Solid" Ram Steering Upgrade Experience-manualtranny4mod.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My "Rock Solid" Ram Steering Upgrade Experience