2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My "Rock Solid" Ram Steering Upgrade Experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 12:15 PM
TKHW
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Ramsolidfixguy,

I have a wierd "straw in and out" type rattle that happens intermittently independent of vehicular motion. I can make it disappear by pushing up on the steering wheel. I can also make it disappear by listening to the radio very loud or wearing ear muffs.

Sounds like your product should eliminate that? Anything I should check to verify?

Thanks!

Old 12-10-2010, 12:33 PM
RamSteeringFix Guy
Thumbs up Back to ya !!

David:

Great, I thought that was you.....it's a small world, eh ?

Got it, now I understand - I am still considering adding a blog section to our existing website - that is in process.

Until then, we can discuss things here, in lieu of a Steering Fix specific blog.

A bit of a higher priority is us producing & posting a YouTube video showing the Ram Steering Fix on the site, which would add a helpful visual element.

I sure appreciate your input - MERRY CHRISTMAS to you & all here.....
David Alan

Old 12-10-2010, 01:07 PM
RamSteeringFix Guy
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TKHW
Hey Ramsolidfixguy,

I have a wierd "straw in and out" type rattle that happens intermittently independent of vehicular motion. I can make it disappear by pushing up on the steering wheel. I can also make it disappear by listening to the radio very loud or wearing ear muffs.

Sounds like your product should eliminate that? Anything I should check to verify?

Thanks!
TKHW:

Can you explain 'straw in and out" a bit more ?

Couple of questions / ideas:

Is noise louder with windows up (cab quiet) ? Is it as if the steering wheel is a monitor speaker - projecting the noise at you ?

The noise caused by a bad lower column bearing has been described variously as: a rattle, clunk or clicking.

It happens as the inner steering shaft comes a bit loose within the column tube, allowing road vibrations to cause the inner shaft to clunk, rattle or click inside the column shell. Rough pavement or pavement joints will cause the noise to occur.

The noise is felt in the pedals sometimes, as well as heard from the steering wheel & column generally.

Once a person hears noise from this worn lower column bearing, they probably have a good bit of play - 1" or maybe more on either side of center - not surprising as the inner steering shaft, instead of rotating perfectly true within the column outer tube (manual trucks) or the shifter linkage tube (auto trucks), the shaft is making more of an 'Oval motion' thus, causing play at the steering wheel.

Sometimes a truck will exhibit the play, but not yet the noise - when they get more worn, then the noise occurs and play will increase.

Here's an easy check to make:

Locate the tension spring on the lower end of the column, (engine side of firewall, just above the upper u-joint of the sliding intermediate steering shaft).

See the pics posed earlier for reference.

Ok, grab the Tension spring in your hand and with a good amount of force, try pushing or pulling side to side.

If it's solid feeling, very little movement - like only 1/8" or less, all is well w/ your column.

If you feel easily discernible movement, like 1/2" or more side to side, the column lower bearing has lost tension and you may be having steering wander / play and / or noise issues.

Our Upgrade kit fixes this issue for good - replacing the old spring / worn out lower column bearing with a Lifetime precision Delrin bushing assembly that provides more precise column operation than before.

Please let me / us know here how your examination goes - Hope this is helpful !

David Alan

Old 12-10-2010, 06:03 PM
TKHW

Originally Posted by RamSteeringFix Guy
TKHW:

Can you explain 'straw in and out" a bit more ?
Thanks for the advice on how to check it. I will do that and report back.

As far as the straw noise.... Imagine if you had a big gulp and you moved the straw back and forth it would make a very annoying rubbing / squeeking sound.

I can make it stop completely every time by pushing up on the steering wheel with my knee.

It's the most annoying noise I've ever had in a vehicle, if your $60 product could fix it I would be as happy as a pig in poo.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:05 PM
RamSteeringFix Guy
Thumbs up

As far as the straw noise.... Imagine if you had a big gulp and you moved the straw back and forth it would make a very annoying rubbing / squeeking sound.

I can make it stop completely every time by pushing up on the steering wheel with my knee.

It's the most annoying noise I've ever had in a vehicle, if your $60 product could fix it I would be as happy as a pig in poo.
TKHW:

Oh, that's a new one - yeah I can imagine that noise - but sorry I can't predict if our column bushing upgrade would fix it - maybe - but just maybe.

Let me know what your tension spring test shows.....have you pulled the lower kick panel and checked to see if the column main bolts are tight ?

Thanks, David Alan

Old 12-11-2010, 10:49 AM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RamSteeringFix Guy
TKHW:

Oh, that's a new one - yeah I can imagine that noise - but sorry I can't predict if our column bushing upgrade would fix it - maybe - but just maybe.

Let me know what your tension spring test shows.....have you pulled the lower kick panel and checked to see if the column main bolts are tight ?

Thanks, David Alan
No, that sound is exactly what mine sounded like. I had no idea how to describe it. And the fix did eliminate it. But lately I have heard some stray squeaks and I wonder of maybe I didn't drive the bushing far enough and of possibly backed off some? My steering is still tight though. But it should eliminate or at least reduce the sound he is describing.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:26 PM
RamSteeringFix Guy

Originally Posted by EndIsNear
No, that sound is exactly what mine sounded like. I had no idea how to describe it. And the fix did eliminate it. But lately I have heard some stray squeaks and I wonder of maybe I didn't drive the bushing far enough and of possibly backed off some? My steering is still tight though. But it should eliminate or at least reduce the sound he is describing.
Also, TKHW asked:

TKHW:

Just checking back to see if you discovered any looseness or change in your funny noise after doing the 'spring check' procedure - grabbing the little spring on the terminal end of the column (just above the intermedate shaft upper u-joint), and seeing if there is a bunch of play side to side ?

On a solid column, it will move very minimally, but when the internal column bearing goes south, it will have 1/4 to 1" of play side to side.

(doing this may 'reset' things inside momentarily, causing funny noises to change briefly)

You can also watch this spring, with a friend helping rotate the steering wheel, while you 'feel' the tire movement with your foot. Try to also watch them move the steering wheel.

When the bushing is shot or wearing out, you'll see the spring move side to side a bit before it even rotates, then the tire moves last of all - a sure sign that is the source of your play....

Hope this is helpful - Happy New Year 2011 !

David Alan / RockSolidRamTruckSteering.com

Old 01-05-2011, 09:45 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a kit for my truck for Christmas. What is the easiest way to install the kit? How hard will it to be with to column in the truck?

Last edited by BigRedRam95; 01-05-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Adobedude
All Star

I put one on my 98 Ram...Made a world of differance.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Adobedude
All Star

I'm like you...Bought my 98 2500 used, I replaced ball joints, this..that. It still rattled and wandered all over the road...The steering fix was icing on the cake.

If your front end needs a rebuild, I doubt this will fix everything, but it sure made a diff on mine...I HATE rattles I can feel, the radio or loud exhaust can't cover them up.

Quick Reply: My "Rock Solid" Ram Steering Upgrade Experience