2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Got my stroker kit today

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 04:26 AM
rczanstke
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my stroker kit today

It cost me $1500, but I hope in the end it is worth it. I'm slowly collecting the parts necessary to build a 408 stroker. I did have a few questions, though.

First, i suppose, I should tell you my intentions. My idea was this:
A decent camshaft, perhaps Lunati. For the heads, I am aiming for 60cc.

As to why I'm posting, I have a few questions/concerns.

The manufacturer of the kit rated it at a max of 500hp. Obviously, this is not a limit I want to exceed. I was shooting for 400-425hp max. Any suggestions as to how to set up my engine build?

My next concern...the transmission. I doubt the stock transmission in my truck would handle much more power than stock. (it's an automatic) It's on it's last leg anyway. Where can I get an aftermarket transmission?

Finally, for those who have built a 408 stroker, what kind of gas mileage should I expect? As of right now, I figure around 1 highway, 0 city.

I appreciate any input.

BTW, attached is a picture of my crankshaft.

Attached Thumbnails Got my stroker kit today-crankshaft.jpg  
Old 11-16-2010, 07:49 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

just curious....you have a 360 motor right? i see your sig says 5.2L, you cant do a 408 stroker with that....

Old 11-16-2010, 10:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

What is your end goal here? Aside from horsepower/torque numbers... How do you actually want to USE the truck? Do you want to tow? Off-Road? Quarter mile??

For the trans, if you look on page six of monte's thread, he has a list there for a member that regularly tows a 7k pound trailer. Going off of the list, and rebuilding your trans with the suggested parts would give you a very stout trans, probably for less than what you would pay for one you ordered over the internet, with the added bonus that you would be able to go a nearby shop for any warranty work, should it become necessary.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:41 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-16-2010, 05:33 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

318, max bore/stroke is 390ci.
To use a 408 stroker kit you need to get a 360 block & re-use the dampner/flywheel off the 318.
500hp crank rating means its cast & will limit you from running a big cam & hi cr or running boost.
Forget about Lunati, they only make cams for LA blocks which do not work in a Magnum block.

Hughes or KRCperformance good place for a cam or get a custom grind from Comp cam.
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...1=Q2Ftc2hhZnQ=
http://www.krcperformance.com/
Cant link to KRC's (Watson now) cam page so scroll down to bottom of page & click "category index" & then their 390/408 cam link (or 318/360 cam link for other choices)
The KRC210x(318/360 cam) maybe a good choice for the power level your wanting.
Probably best to just stick with the Kegger intake, maybe cut back the runners 3/4" & put in a Hughes plenum kit.

You will want a Fastman 52mm tb from www.thefastman.com
Get a set of 2.02 valved EQ, Clearwater or Hughes HD heads.
They are the best bang for the buck & all the same heads
You can get them cheaper off ebay as well if you search.
Put some Felpro 1008 headgaskets under them.
Expect to replace your lifters, pushrods, springs, retainers & add in some 1.6rr, get ARP hardware for the mains & heads.(Hughes or KRC)
You want a double roller timing chain set & tensioner, also want a Melling hi volume oil pump.

Link that Dodgeram07 supplied above is a good place to get trans upgrades from.

You can expect anywhere from 6-12mpg depending on driving style.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Gav1n8
Veteran

I love how people plan on doing this and dreaming big. Than RM Indy knocks them down to reality... Puts a smile on my face everytime..

Old 11-17-2010, 06:03 AM
rczanstke
Professional

I know I need a 360 block. I'm building a separate engine and swapping them when it's complete.

BTW, thank you all for the info.

Also, I don't plan on doing much towing at all, and I don't get off-road that often. I would like to run it in the 1/4 mile. It defiantly will not be a daily driver. I'm in the process of finding a new car that gets decent fuel mileage.

Last edited by rczanstke; 11-19-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:30 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker

Not trying to knock anyone down, just letting him know whats needed seeing he has the kit.
No sense doing 1/2ass job, it will give 1/2ass results, wont be reliable & definately wont make his hp goal.

Things not mentioned
SCT tuner is a must have item to get it to run properly.
Good ignition with upgrades would be advisable, box, coil, brass cap/rotor & good wires & fresh, gapped/indexed plugs.
Headers, ypipe & catback also needed to make pwr goal.
Whats in the rear end as far as gears & lsd?
If its a stock suregrip lsd, dont expect it to last too much longer.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:28 PM
rczanstke
Professional

Its got open an open dif in back, 3.55:1. I haven't given much thought to the suspension and brakes yet. I figured i'd get the motor ready to drop in, then prepare the suspension and other things after.

While i'm thinking about gears, what gearing would you recommend for 285/75 r16 tires and stock ride height? I was thinking 4.10:1 would be too much. But i don't know a lot about gearing.

Also, I apologize for being so rude in my earlier post. I haven't slept in 20 hours.

Last edited by rczanstke; 11-17-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:03 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker

Gear ratio is based on tire diameter of 30" roughly
With 4.10 gears & 33" tires you will have a final drive ratio of 3.81 which is pretty decent for DD & when you tow.
As far as the 1/4m goes, open diffs are terrible & 3.81 final is a bit on the low side.

Quick Reply: Got my stroker kit today