2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Low Compression... Headache

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 08:36 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

our magnum motors are known for cracked heads

Old 12-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Overstreet
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys dont think that coolant could come from pulling the headoff and having coolant still in em?

Old 12-19-2010, 09:29 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its not burning coolant, it doesnt sound like your heads are gone, usually youll get low compression in 2 cylinders.

id say #6 rings are beyond gone

have the heads magnafluxed before tearin into the bottom end

Old 12-19-2010, 09:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Burning coolant usually blows a nice cloud of white smoke, that does NOT go away.....

Coolant in the cylinders is probably just the stuff that ran out when you pulled the head. If you had that much in there when the engine was trying to run, you would have broken parts. (pistons, rods, etc. water is NOT compressible.)

My suggestion would be to yank the other head, have them checked, then, when they tell you both are cracked, buy a good set of aftermarket heads. Stock replacement NEW (not reman) heads can be had for as little as 270.00 each. (yeah, I know, five hundred bucks for heads doesn't sound so 'little', but, in the overall scheme of things, they are dirt cheap for heads.)

Yank the motor, pull it apart, and either hone it out, and re-ring it, or, send it to the machine shop to be checked to see if that is a viable option. (probably is.) Take it from there.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:44 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

you could prob find a used motor on craigslist for 500 bucks or less

Old 12-20-2010, 12:20 AM
Overstreet
Professional

ive looked on craigslist and ive seen one in the last 2 3 months in my area

specially because this is my daily driver and is gonna be off roaded id feel more comfortable knowing i have a rebuilt engine then getting stuck on the trail

for the same money i could buy the whole rebuild get then get another high mileage engine
**** i dont know
maybe if something comes up ill get it but idk.... ill probably take the other head off and go get em checked where do you recommend buying heads from

Old 12-20-2010, 12:23 AM
Overstreet
Professional

thanks for all your input everyone.. im glad there is good people here and a great support group

Old 12-20-2010, 01:16 AM
Dodgeman000
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not your rings. If it was your compression numbers would of came up when you add oil and retested. Flip the head over and clean it really well. Then fill the combustion chamber with oil and let it sit for 30-60 mins and check it out. Look to see if you have oil seeping past the valve seats. If they are you know its a valve seat of valve. Send the head out and have it check. Also the coolant you see is the residual from when you pulled the head. Clean it out. Good Luck

Old 12-20-2010, 03:14 AM
JSTMoto
Veteran

Sounds exactly like what my situation was. Good compression on all but one cylinder. That one cylinder had 30psi of compression. Turned out to be a burned valve/cracked cylinder head.

I would get the heads checked out before ANYTHING else. Have a local machine shop do it.

Everyone keeps saying the rings are totally shot... ALL but one cylinder has good compression (according to original post)... That one cylinder sure didn't look like it was burning oil to me from the pictures. If that cylinder's rings were totally shot to the point of no fire, then that cylinder would be very obvious to pick out from the others... (read: oil deposits) .. As a matter of fact, cyl 6's spark plug looked CLEANER than the other three plugs...

Our Heads are notorious for cracking.

If pinched for cash, Cylinder Heads International sells rebuilt heads for our trucks for like $175 a piece If you send back your old heads within 30 days (I thought they also paid return shipping for them too). Haven't bought heads from them before, but i've heard great things...

JT

Last edited by JSTMoto; 12-20-2010 at 03:30 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:31 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion

ya i also heard that th 408 stroker kits on hughes engines is a good thing also

Quick Reply: Low Compression... Headache