2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can anybody help!! please??

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 12:18 AM
isanz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anybody help!! please??

Well first off thank you in advance to anybody that can help me with my pain in the a??.

Short story had my engine rebuilt, replaced the accessory's and installed it back in myself. Timing chain was checked for proper alignment 3 times before being coverd up, and rotor is set up and aligned per the fsm. The Cap is placed properly with squared end of the mounting screws the left and round end to the right (facing the engine)

Now here is my problem (this is the kicker) before i downloaded the manual and found the proper way to set everything i had actually got the truck to start and idle fairly well, but this is the catch if you look at the firing order in the fsm which we all know is 18436572 my piston 1 started of at piston 6. This is the only way i got it to start but when i would drive it, it would lose power. Now that i set it per the fsm it wont even start at all. I only downloaded the fsm because i thought the timing was off a little bit but come to find i cant change the timing. So since i couldnt change it i set it like the fsm but now it wont start at all.

So before it was set to factory specs it would start and idle fairly well not rough at all. Me thinking i could set the timing i did it using piston 1 which would give me lose of power when driven. Then i tried using piston 8 which was WAY too rich. And now nothing anybody have any clue what so ever. Please all you weekend warriors got any clue. If this helps on my vin it classifies my engine as z series thanks

Old 12-01-2010, 12:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

Crank rotates twice for each rotation of the camshaft. So, the 'timing mark' (which really isn't...) on the damper will pass zero twice for every cylinder to fire.

To verify that you actually have no. 1 at TDC, either pull the valve covers, and make sure both valves on no. 1 are closed, or, start a quarter turn before TDC, and put you finger over the plug hole on number 1. If it blows your finger out of the hole, it is in firing position, and you can set your distributor, plug wires, etc, accordingly. If it doesn't, keep turning it around one more time, and it will.

Once you have it up and running again, probably have to take it to the dealer, or, some shop that has the right tool, to reset fuel sync. Crankshaft position sensor controls when the plugs fire. Camshaft position sensor controls when the injectors fire. When they are out of sync, you get really odd behavior......

Old 12-01-2010, 12:57 AM
isanz

by closed the rockers will both feel loose correct

Old 12-01-2010, 01:08 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Did you have the oil pump drive out of the engine. The timing chain alignment maybe right, but what about the dist drive gear/oil pump shaft.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:18 AM
isanz

yea i was wondering if it had gone back in right how can i make sure that it is in the correct tooth.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

Rockers won't feel loose, but, if one is open, it will be obvious.

There is really no 'right' tooth...... basically, its get the piston and cam relationship right, figger out which way the distributor needs to be point when installed, then, install the pump drive so that the distributor will be right. Keep in mind, the pump drive is going to turn as it goes down. So, figger out where it needs to be, back it off a tooth or two, and make sure it seats all the way. If it is not in the right spot, move it in the direction it needs to go a tooth or so at a time. It's gonna be hard to see back there, gonna need a bright light, and a mirror......

Old 12-01-2010, 01:39 AM
isanz

ok thanks i guess tomorrow i will remove the valve cover and make sure that both valves are closed at tdc. Then once that is set up properly get my distributor set up right and hopefully that works.

o and yea i had moved the distributor shaft to get the correct position for the distributor cap and pick up coil

Old 01-18-2011, 11:42 PM
boostednut

Let me know what your out come was I have the exact same problem with my truck