2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

truck surges after hitting big bumps?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 09:00 PM
townsley4
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck surges after hitting big bumps?

Hey, back again with another question for you guys. Idk if anyone else had/has this happen but I notice (especially when cold) but sometimes warm... That when driving highway speeds, after hitting a bump in the road such as going over a bridge of other bumps, my truck surges and the rpms jump up real quick. Almost like you hammer on the gas pedal for a split second. Anyone have an idea what this could be? I also notice it has done this with the cruise on. 2001 1500

Old 12-03-2010, 09:27 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the torque converter may be unlocking and relocking. its about a 300 rpm change. i don't know much about it, but there is an electrical connector external to the trans, and a bunch of wiring inside it. you might try unplugging/replugging/inspecting your electrical wiring to the trans.

if the rpm change is larger, like 500 rpm's, it might be OD kicking out and back in.

also check your brake light switch on the pedal. it can cause cruise control problems but i don't know if it could be related to your problem or not.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:43 PM
townsley4
Veteran

Yea let's hope its not the torque converter or tranny!! Just spent 2,000$ not even a year ago getting a new torque converter and rebuilt tranny. I will take a look at all the wires next time I'm under the truck. No idea wat I'm lookin for though.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:42 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Got a busted motor mount? That'll do it.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:00 AM
townsley4
Veteran

Hey its been a while, but the truck still surges and jumps up 300-500 rpms when going over bumps. The connectors seem all in place and intact. Also, sometimes just randomly, when the cruise is on, the truck surges also. With the cruise on, it would surge just going down a strait road. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 02-03-2011, 11:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Might need to have a look at the wiring INSIDE the trans...... some of the wires can rub thru, and short themselves out on bumps......

Old 02-03-2011, 11:07 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you checked or replaced the TPS? Here is more info on what Heyyou is talking about. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ise-speed.html

Old 02-03-2011, 07:43 PM
townsley4
Veteran

Thanks for that link to that thread, lot of good info in there. im going to go pick up a new tps tommorow and try that. i did have the trans rebuilt, maybe somethin happened to a wire in there in the process. what should i be looking for on the brake light switch on the pedal?

thanks for all the info once again, i will get a new tps and let you know if it fixes anything.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:25 PM
townsley4
Veteran

i went to advanced auto parts last night and picked up a tensioner pulley and a new tps, they didnt have the 60$ one there, the only one they had in stock was a 26$ BWD tps. should i put this on the truck? or try to find the 60$ one? anyon else you or heard of this kind?

Old 02-06-2011, 12:26 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Borg Warner electrical sensors are rubbish. Don't waste your time. I would highly recommend going OEM on all sensors. Reason being, the sensors that are sold at auto stores across the nation are usually 3rd party sensors that do not meet OEM specs. The one that fail to meet OEM spec are sold off by the manufacturers to brokers who, turn around and sell them to 3rd party chain stores. They are not direct failures or even gross failures but, just enough to where they don't fully pass screening. This is one of the reasons why they pay 5-10 bucks for them and then turn and sell them for 25 bucks vs. the 80+ dollars associated with at the dealer level.

CM

Quick Reply: truck surges after hitting big bumps?