2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help Truck Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 11:46 AM
walleyeone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Truck Won't Start

Can anyone help, 01 Ram 2500 5.9 gas, won't start- turns over no start. History - sat for two weeks, drove 2 miles thanksgiving morning, no prob, 50 degeers out, went out three days later 6 am 22 degrees out no start came home cleaned corrosion off neg battery cable it would start but then stumble and die. (battery had a chrysler sticker orginal?) put a new battery in it started soon as the key was bumped and idled fine but I didn't drive it anywhere. Went out this morn. 28 degrees and it will turn over but not start. Did the key thing and it has a P0320 code stored although the cel light never came on. Any ideas, thanks in advance.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Crankshaft position sensor. Its on the back of the motor, passenger side, reads off the flywheel/flexplate, check the wiring, if the wiring looks good, replace it. Get one from the dealer. Don't bother with the parts store pieces.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:23 PM
walleyeone

Is there anyway this can be tested had the same problem with a 97 replaced the cps but it ended up being the computer. Just don't want to throw money away. Thanks again for the quick reply

Old 12-04-2010, 12:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Not without a rather expensive piece of equipment methinks.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:58 PM
walleyeone

Just can't figure out why it started right up with a new battery. plus it was warmer out when I put the new battery in. Any reason why ambient temperature would affect anything or does the code point directly to the cps sensor. I guess I'm searching for that easy fix; the truck outside and it's colddddd, I've done the cps in a 97 and it's a pita to get to.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

P0320 No Crank Ref Signal at PCM

This indicates the problem is somewhere in that circuit. So, in that circuit, we have the sensor itself, the wiring, and the PCM. If the wiring looks good, then that leaves the other two..... of the two, the sensor is WAY cheaper.

Sensors can fail in truly strange ways....... I gave up keeping track of them all.

I hate working out in the cold too. Just finished up timing chain and gears/ waterpump/ and a front end re-seal in the sub-freezing temps. Woulda been nice if the parts store had gotten my parts when it was in the 40's..... Oh well.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:20 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Crankshaft position sensor. Its on the back of the motor, passenger side, reads off the flywheel/flexplate, check the wiring, if the wiring looks good, replace it. Get one from the dealer. Don't bother with the parts store pieces.
I second this.
I pinched the wires to the crank sensor on my truck putting the tranny back in.
Replaced it with a Napa crank sensor,that’s when the fun began!!
I would start my truck it would run anywhere from 6 to 8 mins and it would just die.
I would wait about 60 seconds and it would start back up.
I could go where ever i wanted shut it off and start it back up and no issues,
unless i let it completely cool down again.
We checked everything over a period of about 6 months finally decided to replace the crank sensor even tho it was brand new.
I replaced it with OEM and haven’t had any problems since (8 monthes).
NAPA SENSORS ARE GARBAGE PERIOD!!!!!
Use Oem Only they are not much more then Napa sensor and none of the grief.
This is where I got mine
http://www.moparonlineparts.com/
Have the last 9 numbers of your vin ready and they will get you exactly what you need.
I was very happy with the service and the price was the best around.
I have used them several times for the 4 dodge trucks I maintain.

Dave

Old 12-04-2010, 04:45 PM
g65_armstrong@comcast.net

I have an 01 with the 5.9L. Mine did this a couple of years ago. Mine also sets for long periods and short trips. The butterfly on the throttlebody had carbon build up on it. Sprayed carb cleaner on it to clean it. Fire right up. Now I make it a yearly thing! Could be one of those expensive fixes or could be a cheap easy fix!

Old 12-04-2010, 08:42 PM
walleyeone
Talking

Thanks for all the replies this site is a great resource; HeyYou you were right with the cps although I had to buy aftermarket (needed to have it running today) I'll probably get a factory one when it warms up and switch it out. Kinda glad it was cold out though or the neighbors may have heard some new words.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, dealer isn't open on Saturday...... Glad ya got it going.

Quick Reply: Help Truck Won't Start