2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

408 stroker build

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 01:53 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 408 stroker build

ok i started a thread for my 408 stroker teardown and rebuild. the block was machnined and all parts were professionally installed by a race shop right down the street about 3 yrs ago. the PO left it outside in a dakota with no intake on it and its never been run. with that said ill be tearing it down and checking it out. ill likely have everything cleaned up and the cylinders rehoned. then button her back up.

1. can i reuse the head gaskets and arp studs?
2. pistons 2,4,6 have some corrosion on the tops, do i need new ones?
3. if i need new 2,4,6 pistons can i reuse the rings?
4. the finish is a little worn off of 1 of the rollers on 1 rocker arm, use it?
5. cylinders 1,3,5,7 are pristine, but 2,4,6,8 have some corrosion, why?
6. should i take all the internals to him and have him clean them, they look good but if the cost is minimal, why not? rite?

overall i personally think i got a good deal $1200, for a 408 stroker w/ 2.02 r/t heads, m1 intake, crower 1.7 rollers, ignition system, mopar air hat, injectors, flexplate, and mopar valve covers... maybe forgetting something. a similar build is upwards of $5k

Old 12-04-2010, 10:29 PM
lazyboy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do not reuse the head gasket is the only thing I fully believe would give you guaranteed bad results. the rest lack details to make a full judgement. do you know how to measure these items after polish-cleanup? if not might be best to send them to some one that can. keep hearing do not wire brush pistons, maybe some one here can explain why?
pretty nice find if you can get it all cleaned up and specked. your still doing pretty darn good if you spend $500 more to get it checked out and or replace a few things.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:31 AM
matty675
Record Breaker

clearances should not have changed since its build. its never been run...

Old 12-05-2010, 12:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

Don't use a steel wire brush on aluminum pistons. Steel is harder than aluminum, and will leave scratches/rough surface. Which will make really nice 'hot spots' and give you lots and lots of spark knock.

You should be able to just run a ball hone in the cylinders, and clean them up. The pistons really shouldn't 'rust' per se...... see if it will wipe off with a rough cloth. (shop rag would be good.)

Studs you can re-use.

If you can get everything professionally cleaned, GO FOR IT.

Do NOT try and re-use the head gaskets. Very bad idea. Just buy a rebuild gasket set, and replace EVERYTHING. That way, you are SURE. (and, it's cheap insurance.)

You shouldn't have to replace any of the 'hard parts', I would like to see a pic of the rocker in question though.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:46 AM
matty675
Record Breaker

correct, its not rust they are rough spots- aluminum corrosion i guess. how bout a green scrubby?

how bout the couple push rods with rust?

am i right that clearances dont need to be checked?

i may get a quote from him to rehone those 3 or 4 cylinders and clean up the block

Old 12-05-2010, 12:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, aluminum will oxidize.... kinda white powdery stuff? Green scrubby should be fine. (I was thinking that as I was typing the previous post too........)

Push rods, just clean 'em up. Make sure you blow them out as well. I do believe ours carry oil from the lifters to the rockers.

Clearances should be fine, if the original build was good...... I would recheck things like ring gap, piston to wall clearance, etc. Just because I am paranoid. (that, and it won't get any easier than it is right now.)

A quick hone job on that block shouldn't take long, make sure the guy you talk to is aware that the engine is a fresh rebuild, and has just been sitting for a while. Should be able to have it cleaned up good for pretty cheap. Or, just buy a hone, and do it yourself. Buying the tool just might end up being cheaper.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:57 AM
matty675
Record Breaker

well fortunately the guy im taking it to is the samy guy at the same race shop that built it a few years ago, so he knows all about it.

so the piston surface needs to be flawless, correct?

what if i cant get all the rust off the push rods? it seems like as long as the tips are nice and shiny, it wuldnt be a problem

Old 12-05-2010, 12:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

On the pushrods, hit 'em with some steel wool to clean 'em up. Just so long as nothing is going to flake off into the engine, you will be fine.

Piston surface should be pretty nice looking. Yes. (some folks even polish them.......)

Taking it to the guy that built it in the first place works out REALLY well.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:08 AM
matty675
Record Breaker

o yea definitely. need a running truck though, for the time being

Old 12-05-2010, 01:48 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you bought that motor off craigs ? you have any pics yet ?

Quick Reply: 408 stroker build