2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

title questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 09:29 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default title questions

ok i got my truck from a guy and he said he sent off the title at first he called me every 3 or 4 days to let me know what was going on and now the plates are expired and i need the title so i can put it in my name... i call him and he dont answer is there some way i can do a vin search and find his adress i thought carfax would do it but i spent the 35 bucks and it didnt even show his name... any help would b appriciated

Old 12-07-2010, 09:29 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

damn.....id get this in file before its to late.....

go back to where you got it and kick his ***

Old 12-07-2010, 09:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Have to take the vin number into the local DMV, Secretary of State, or, whatever they call it there, and have them run it. There is a real possibility they will NOT tell you though, and simply give you some form to fill out..... Best bet is, have a chat with 'em, and see what they have to say. Do you have a receipt, or bill of sale for the truck?

Old 12-07-2010, 09:35 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

i dont know how it is where you live, but here in NH after a car is 15 years old, or older it no longer requires a title. all you need to register it is the bill of sale and the previous owners last registration.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:43 PM
Dantra
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were you using his plate? If so, I believe thats your answer...

Old 12-07-2010, 09:45 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even cops have to have reason to run plates, but if you know one you can have them do so under whatever premise 'yall decide on- IF I understood correctly that you used his plate till it expired.

In some states you don't need title to register. You can also apply for lost title. You can go to DMV in some states and apply for lost title and get permanent or at least temp tags till you get it worked out.

Bottom line: you need to talk to DMV, and you need that dudes name and whereabouts (so you can kick his ***).

If you have the expired reg, you can most likely carry that in and renew it while changing the name its registered to. Most people don't own their cars... They have a lien on them. You don't have to own it to register it, believe it or not.

You're, uh, ultimately gonna want that title though.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker

Where did you get the truck from? Did you go to his house to buy it?

Old 12-07-2010, 10:07 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

no i met the guy at a store i know he lives in farmington mo and i live in southeren il his name i know and cell phone number he wont answer so i am getting pissed... i have tried to look him up on facebook and a few other places no luck. il dmv is a pain in the *** but i will go and see where i get with them tomorrow. i asked local pd to run the plates they wont small town dicks... i am getting pissed and need to find his adress so i can "go have a talk"

Old 12-07-2010, 10:28 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not the cops fault, their activity is often logged, and they could get in trouble. If you have his # you maybe can do a reverse look-up. You can also use zabasearch. (That site is scary). Using state and name, you'll have him found quick like- and its free.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

No reverse lookups on cell phones, unless you pay....... that I have ever found.

Quick Reply: title questions