2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New to dodge// Trans problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Throttle Valve cable. Attaches to the throttle lever (which, surprisingly enough, is on the throttle body..... ) on the passenger side. Comes in from the back, and runs down to the trans. Adjusting is easy, and even easier with two people. Procedure is in the 01 service manual, and will be the same for your 94. Download it, it has a LOT of good information. Most of which actually applies to all 2nd gen trucks.

A bit of fuzz on the magnet, and maybe a little bit in the bottom of the pan is normal. If there are metal bits, or parts of any nature whatsoever, that is a Bad Sign™.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TV, Throttle valve cable. There is a procedure for adjusting in the FAQ's. Our trucks are a little different on the throttle body end. We don't have a clip just have to push a button (its really hard to push) if I remember correctly.

If the overrunning clutch is bad I would expect to see metal in the pan. I assume some of the rollers and springs would have worked there way in there. If you remove the valve body you may be able to turn the rear (low/reverse) drum by hand and see if it free spins one way and locks the other. I can't remember how visible it is though or if you could get enough grip to turn it.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:04 PM
mikesmith92
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay got to the tranny today pulled some DTC's need advise...

34- speed control solinoid
37- torque convt clutch circut (open/shrt in circut)
52- sys rich
53- Internal PCM failure

(note, on the drivers side of the trans i found a open female 3 prong wire just hanging from the wire harness??? help..insight fasttttt ty!!

Old 12-11-2010, 05:27 PM
mikesmith92

okay new filter and gasket on trans fluid filled, still have the spinning sound in drive and 2nd... however the bubbling has gone away and when i put it into 4wd and than drive or 2nd it moves a little... any ideas from here?

Old 12-11-2010, 05:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Need to find out where the plug goes......

Check your fluid again, in neutral, make sure it really is up to snuff.

If thats ok, and it still won't move, might be time to yank the trans.....

Still possible that the governor pressure sensor/solenoid (either or both) are bad.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker

Plug is either for the park/neutaral sensor or wires that engage the OD and lockup. Neither one will cause the symtoms you are experiencing. The OD/lockup on goes into a plug on top of a bulge on the drivers side of the trans.

34 - may be from the OD and lockup plug being out (if that is the plug)

37 - nothing to worry about my truck has always had it.

52 and 53 unrelated but not good

It can't be the governor pressure sensor or solenoid as the 46RH that you have does not have either one of these components.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ooops. Good point. Missed the year of the truck.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:40 PM
mikesmith92

Yeah, well I'm out of daylight for today.. tomorrow I will try finding the home to that wire.. and now after the new gasket and fluid the truck will move in drive at about 4k rpms... guessing I should start looking for a new trans unless adjusting the band will do the trick.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker

Was there any metal in the pan?

Does the TV cable work as it should?

If you can get a trans pressure tester you could test the pressures.

My torque converter went bad and the debris destroyed the pump. It caused my truck to rev up till about 1500 or more rpms before it slammed into going forward. Worked fine at the higher rpms. I had a large pile of debris in the pan though.

If you have no debris in pan something wierd is going on. It just struck me that if the trans was low on fluid before and you revved it very high to get it to move it is possible that a seal burst or burned up and now the truck only moves at 4k because enough pressure can get past the seal point to engage one of the clutch packs. There may be a different fluid routing for 1 and reverse causing the trans to work in those gears. This theory is much more of a guess then the loss of the overrunning clutch though (pretty sure the overrunning clutch is out).

If you need a new trans it may be worth rebuilding it yourself. It really depends on how much time and space you have. Much cheaper than having it done though.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:12 PM
mikesmith92

There was actually no metal in the pan just a tiny bit fuzz but it was hardly any and the fluid was burnt smelling or black.. an when I do hit hogh rpms it hardly moves so I haven't messed around with doing that besides the one time...

Thos baffels me since it drove home decently besides shiftong into 2nd at about 3500 and it was only 2nd it had the problem with... bad fuses maybe?

Quick Reply: New to dodge// Trans problems