2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New pads/rotors, new noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 10:46 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New pads/rotors, new noise

Well I just really drove my truck for the first time since I did my wheelbearing, pads/rotors, and u joint. I've got a groan type noise from what sounds like the right front brake. It does it after I've let off the brakes just for a second, but I can hold just the right pressure on the brakes to make it continuous. Best I can describe it is it sounds like when you run onto the rumble strips along the side of a highway. Is it a pad vibrating maybe? Or bad (cheap) pads? Something else?

Or maybe I just need to....*puts on sunglasses

brake
them in?

yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!

k I'm done

Something to note: I had to grind a tiiiiiny bit off the edges of the big tabs on top of them, just barely the thickness of the paint on them, to get them on the calipers without jamming up slightly. If you've ever changed the brakes on one of these, you'll know what tabs I'm talking about. I'm wondering if I took a tad too much off and one is a tiny bit loose? I'm gonna have a look tomorrow but thought I'd check with you guys......

edit: the wheelbearing and U joint I replaced were on the left, the noise sounds and feels like it's coming from the right....

Last edited by Maxx_Magnum; 12-13-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Did you use any kind of anti-squeal compound on the backing plates when you installed them?

Old 12-14-2010, 01:02 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

that's a negative ghostrider.... nothing came with them so I didn't bother... I'm sure I have some though so I'll try that when I check it out

Old 12-14-2010, 01:54 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, I have done several sets of these brakes and I have no idea what you are talking about grinding on. I've never had to grind anything. That being said, I do use anti squeal grease.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:29 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

Oh my bad, maybe they're not all like that.... These ones have the tabs and the ones I took off it did too...

This is the closest I could find, the top pad here has the tabs... I shaved a tiny bit off the outer edge of both tabs, towards each end of the pad

Old 12-14-2010, 02:53 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

So are you saying you shaved some off of that last picture on both edges on the tab part that slides? Or are you saying you ground some off of the squealers, or just the top of the pad?

Old 12-14-2010, 09:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Nah, the 'ears' in the first pic. Happens....

Go to the parts store. Pick up a can of spray on anti-squeal. Take your pads off, line them up nicely, and spray a nice coat of a-s on the BACKING PLATES. Let it dry, reinstall the pads. Make sure to use some of the correct lubricant on all the parts that have to slide against each other. (caliper pins, etc. NOT the pad/rotor contact area though......)

All of your noises should go away.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:10 AM
Agostage
Professional

did you burnish them correctly?

Quick Reply: New pads/rotors, new noise