2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Low end power ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

1.7's is the best mod of those listed. The 14x3 is good for getting extra air in, but it isn't anything spectacular by itself.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:46 PM
aarons ram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted a reply earlier, guess it didnt go through.

i never considered doing the rr's, i alsway thought that was a high end upgrade, out of my budget basicly. So i might be doing that.

Which would you guys do first? headers, intake, or rr's? and where would the plenum and kegger mod fit into place.
I ask cause i am very strapped for cash at this point.

EDIT- you can ignore this, it did go through i guess :-/

Last edited by aarons ram; 12-16-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:34 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

of all 3 i would do 1.7

Old 12-18-2010, 02:24 AM
95Erokram
Veteran

Originally Posted by lastrights
of all 3 i would do 1.7
1.7 rr's are that good. Dang. Ive been looking for power with the wrong mods. Headers helped my low end good but top and defhelped. It pulle da tad longer and stronger in each gear before shifting. Which brand rr would you prefer. im in the same boat as the guy who posted but i have evrything minus gears and tune. Keeping my hopes up for the MPCM,they go pretty high $ now adays

Old 12-18-2010, 04:26 AM
JSTMoto
Veteran

Harland Sharp's 1.7s are recommended the most on here. Your will probably gain the most "low end" from a gear change however. But either mod should be an improvement.

-JT

Old 12-18-2010, 02:23 PM
aarons ram
Rookie

Originally Posted by dodgeram07
but i wouldnt do nothing till i did the plenum gasket repair if leaking and a full tune up
how would you know it is leaking? My engine seems great, great power and torque for mostly stock. Maybe im delusional.

I keep hearing about gears but i have never messed with them and have no clue on what to do. What gears would you recommend, how much are they generally, and how hard is it to replace?

Im going into the military soon so might end up selling the truck so i might just fix the truck where it actually needs and leave it but idk.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Take off the throttle body, and peak around the corners with a dentists mirror, and a flashlight. If you see evidence of oil, that does NOT seem to originate from the vacuum port for the PCV system.... you have a blown plenum. Also, an obviously displaced gasket is a good sign as well.

Gears run around 500 bucks or so for gear sets (front and rear) and install kits. (required) installation is more of an art form, than a skill. If you don't know what you are doing, pay someone else to do it. Total cost on such a job usually runs 1500 and up......

If you are going to be somewhere that you cannot take the truck..... don't put a lot of money into it. Either find somewhere to stash it, until you CAN have it with you, or sell it, and save your money to buy something when you get out.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Long tubes will do more than shortys though.
Maybe if he's running a blown 408.

I kept trying and trying to justify the longtubes but the calculators I found all seemed to agree that the only longtubes I'm aware of, the pacesetters, are way way to big for my build. The math just doesn't work out with those and my current combo.

I also wanted to try some Thorleys but couldn't afford them at the time I was header shopping. The math works out great for them and the eddies I bought used.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Take off the throttle body, and peak around the corners with a dentists mirror, and a flashlight. If you see evidence of oil, that does NOT seem to originate from the vacuum port for the PCV system.... you have a blown plenum. Also, an obviously displaced gasket is a good sign as well.
definitely step one. If blown plenum gasket is suspected I would also run a compression check to see if the bottom end is worth trying to save since plenum gasket is an appreciable time investment for a guy like me wh values all weekend time so much.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Ideally...... 1 5/8ths primaries would be what you would want in a long tube header for our trucks..... unfortunately...... there just isn't that big of a selection of headers available to us. There are the Doug Thorley Tri-Ys.... but, almost 600 bucks for headers is a bit steep for my tastes......

Quick Reply: Low end power ?