2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Low end power ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 02:57 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It's a bit undortunate about the LT situation too as there seems to be quite a market right here on DF for something more in line with a more stock config. Seem like I heard about that guy at Southeast Performance doing custom headers. Anybody ever buy some longtubes from him?

Old 12-18-2010, 09:38 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have longtubes on a basically stock 5.9 with some bolt ons , i did it mostly because of the bottle nect stock y -pipe we have. they gave nice gain , if i were to do it again i would have done shorties just because i got raped on the install because i didnt know how to do the headers plus weld into the exhaust.

the shop i took it too removed my cat the 1st time and said it wouldnt work having a cat, so i had to go somewhere else to get one installed that knows how to do it. pretty much got double raped. got the longtubes on ebay for 130. intall the 1st time was 630 and the 2nd time too get a new cat on was 130 .. i provided the parts

so if anyone thats not serious best bang for the buck is shorties,highflow cat .unless you know someone thats cheap on labor

also highly reccommend stage 8 bolts on any header

Old 12-19-2010, 12:41 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

with some nice heads and a aggressive cam those pacestters would start showing their stuff I bet. It makes alot more sense for you SCT guys to look at those than us stuck with OBD1. I wish I could run an SCT.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:48 AM
Salex007
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

southeast east performance headers are made for dakotas/durangos only, do not fit on our rams

Old 12-19-2010, 03:49 AM
Salex007
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

plus they are about $800 coin for just the headers

Old 12-19-2010, 07:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Wow...... 600 bucks for exhaust work? That is outrageous..... The shop I worked in, would do a complete custom exhaust, front to back (headers, or manifolds.... would be needed. no cats though. those ran anywhere from 40, to 200 bucks a piece.) For anywhere from 100 bucks for a single, to 300 bucks for true duals...... and that includes the pipe, and other necessary parts......

Old 12-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Ideally...... 1 5/8ths primaries would be what you would want in a long tube header for our trucks..... unfortunately...... there just isn't that big of a selection of headers available to us. There are the Doug Thorley Tri-Ys.... but, almost 600 bucks for headers is a bit steep for my tastes......
The pacesetter long tubes are 1 5/8 primaries but that is still too large for a factory (+ bolt ons) 360 engine. A 1.5" primary would be better as we need power below 3000 rpm. The larger diameter primary is better for high rpm and built motors. There is a little bit of a gray area though as magnum heads have very poor flowing exhaust ports and a larger header helps to compensate for that.

I didn't see if it has been mentioned but shorties do not produce more torque and long tubes produce more top end. This is a pretty common misconseption due to the fact that many people get long tubes with too large of primaries. A properly sized long tube will always make more power then a properly sized short tube header. The reason shorties are made is due to the ease of install and/or the lack of room. Same for mid-lenghts.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:59 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did 1,7 RRs, a SCT and 24# 4 hole injectors. THen when i put headers on, it really opened things up.

So, if you decide on 1.7 rrs, save for some headers. And don't skimp. Get the ceramic coated ones. I have owned Edelbrocks and JBA headers. i like the JBA headers best. But they come with crappy gaskets. Go to autozone and get the edelbrock gasket kit (1/8 inch) for 25 bucks. The edelbrock headers did not come with a very thick coating. But they are about $200 cheaper than the JBAs.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:23 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thats another reasoni got longtubes , really help amplyfy the sound of my 1.7

Old 12-19-2010, 03:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerehead8
The pacesetter long tubes are 1 5/8 primaries but that is still too large for a factory (+ bolt ons) 360 engine. A 1.5" primary would be better as we need power below 3000 rpm. The larger diameter primary is better for high rpm and built motors. There is a little bit of a gray area though as magnum heads have very poor flowing exhaust ports and a larger header helps to compensate for that.

I didn't see if it has been mentioned but shorties do not produce more torque and long tubes produce more top end. This is a pretty common misconseption due to the fact that many people get long tubes with too large of primaries. A properly sized long tube will always make more power then a properly sized short tube header. The reason shorties are made is due to the ease of install and/or the lack of room. Same for mid-lenghts.
All the PS longtubes I have seen are 1 3/4. I can't even find shorties with 1.5s.

And even shorties flow better than most stock manifolds.

Quick Reply: Low end power ?