2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Low end power ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
All the PS longtubes I have seen are 1 3/4. I can't even find shorties with 1.5s.

And even shorties flow better than most stock manifolds.
You are right about the long tubes I didn't look them up for some reason I thought that they were 1 5/8". Being 1 3/4 just means that they are for a 408 and nothing less. I knew there was some reason I did not buy them.

Most shorties are 1.5" primaries. I know my summit brand ones are. Take a look at the link all the shorties I clicked on are 1.5" primaries. The mid lenghts I looked at where 1 5/8".
http://www.summitracing.com/search/year/1996/make/DODGE/model/RAM-1500/Department/Exhaust/Part-Type/Headers/?Ns=Rank|Asc

Yeah shorties flow better then the stock manifolds but don't require major exhaust system modifications which is why they are so popular. I just didn't want to hear the shorties make more low end torque that I hear so often.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerehead8
You are right about the long tubes I didn't look them up for some reason I thought that they were 1 5/8". Being 1 3/4 just means that they are for a 408 and nothing less. I knew there was some reason I did not buy them.

Most shorties are 1.5" primaries. I know my summit brand ones are. Take a look at the link all the shorties I clicked on are 1.5" primaries. The mid lenghts I looked at where 1 5/8".
http://www.summitracing.com/search/year/1996/make/DODGE/model/RAM-1500/Department/Exhaust/Part-Type/Headers/?Ns=Rank|Asc

Yeah shorties flow better then the stock manifolds but don't require major exhaust system modifications which is why they are so popular. I just didn't want to hear the shorties make more low end torque that I hear so often.
If they were 1 5/8ths, I would already have a set. compensate for the too-large diameter with H pipe placement.

You are indeed correct on the shorties....... I just don't pay that much attention to them, as they are not what I am looking for. They do have their place though, they are better that stock.... and do give a bit of a boost, throughout the RPM range, simply because of that. Better breathing is better breathing.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:07 PM
95Erokram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got cheated.. so i cheated back, heres my story why i have hedman headers that arent partcularly made for these trucks. jegs had these for 4 something and i bought them. It stated fits ram, durango, and dakota 5.2/5.9 little did I know, i looked up the product number and they are a 96-98 dakota 5.2 header. Yet i fabedthe reducer and collector with the help of an exhaust shop and managed to fet them on. My stock manifolds looked so carbon composited it was sad. Performance was like someone gave my truck a shot of nitrous throught the intake that shot out of my exhaust comared to the manifolds. All in all, i couldnt return the product due to there misleading false advertisement kept them and they are a joy. Kinda funny how things turn out huh? btw, is this bad for my truck. IOh and i have no egr so the hose that sucks unburnt fuel to my cat which is also gone is just sucking air up and out my exhaust. Can i plug it up?

Old 12-20-2010, 04:50 PM
aarons ram
Rookie

Thanks for all the replies guys. But i think ima just fix whats actually important to thr truck right now(shocks, control arms ect) i never had the money to do anything more then a k&n filter and syntheic oil. I think im just going to sell the truck when i join the Air Force and get a newer one while serving if possible. You know like spending all my money on the truck kinda thing, i want it to be able to be tuned also. So its gonna either be another dodge ram or a firebird idk.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:56 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dont get the 3rd gen rams if you do there fugly

Old 12-20-2010, 10:46 PM
aarons ram
Rookie

Originally Posted by lastrights
dont get the 3rd gen rams if you do there fugly
i know, i grit my teeth everytime i see one. Age does show beauty.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:07 PM
95Erokram
Veteran

Originally Posted by aarons ram
i know, i grit my teeth everytime i see one. Age does show beauty.
man. arent they awesome looking. I especially like the bubble headlight and way oversized grill. 2nd gens look the best IMHO

Old 12-31-2010, 05:18 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read through the thread...I came in here looking for a Y pipe for my 1998 Ram w/ 5.9 Magnum....I'm confused as to why you guys don't want to open up your exhaust to the max...Magnum motors like to breath, and you gotta breath out before you breath in...1-3/4 primaries is only going to help these things.

Anyway...I have some stupid small 1-5/8" Gibson Headers I bought off EBAY a couple years ago so I might as well put em on, no one wants wants em...But the real restriction is the Y -Pipe...Anyone know of a bolt on y pipe for the stock exhaust...No cat needed, and I have a 3" Magnaflow RV mufler to install.

BTW...My Ram gets all my Dakota R/T Drag Truck left overs, so I'll be installing a 1.7's, heads, ported Kegger manifold etc at the same time.

Last edited by Adobedude; 12-31-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Low end power ?