2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Possible Air In the Steering gear lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 10:07 AM
mcss8541
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Possible Air In the Steering gear lines

Greetings and Salutations, A couple of days ago I had to replace the steering gear box on my 1998 Sport 4X4. This was the second time in 20 months. The steering shaft broke in half again. When I replaced it this time I noticed the steering was stiff. I checked with a couple of buddies and they said that I either got air in the system or the new on is bad. If there is air in the system how do I get it out? Also what would cause the shafts to break like that? It happens , thank God, while I was backing into a parking space and not while I was driving. Thanks!

Old 12-18-2010, 10:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

The sector shaft BROKE????? That is just way strange. I would be real tempted to disconnect the pitman arm, from the rest of the steering, (with the front end jacked up) and see if you have anything binding. That should NOT be happening. averaging one per year is outrageous. Something is seriously awry there.

But anyway...... get the front tires off the ground, start the engine, and top off the power steering fluid. Crank the steering from lock to lock a couple times. Check the fluid. All foamy? Shut the truck off, and let it settle for a bit. Start it back up, top off the fluid, crank the steering from lock to lock a couple times....... See where this is going?

I always to this with the front tires off the ground, so I am not grinding flat spots into them, and the steering gear isn't being overly stressed without hydraulic assist.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:46 PM
mcss8541
All Star

Thanks " HeyYou". Yeah it's weird as hell because even the guys at O'Reilly's where I bought the box were stunned. My best friend says it's do to the angle of the suspension lift and the fibrations but I don't know that shaft is solid and thick and it stapped in half. The first time it was at the drop pitman where the retaining bolt is. This time it was inside the gear box at the needle bearings. When I first put the fluid in it foamed up. Then I added the fluid to top it off at the normal level. When I shut the truck off the fluid came back up and over flowed out the top. When the truck is running though the fluid level goes down. I'll try what you say and see how it goes. A friend of mine told me to do that and I did until my shoulders ached but no change. I'll lift the truck this time.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:51 PM
mcss8541
All Star

"The sector shaft BROKE????? That is just way strange. I would be real tempted to disconnect the pitman arm, from the rest of the steering, (with the front end jacked up) and see if you have anything binding. That should NOT be happening. averaging one per year is outrageous. Something is seriously awry there."
The only thing I can think of is I need a steering knuckle on the right side due to the previous owner wearing the brakes out so bad that it cut a quarter inch gash into the frame. The tires I had before these use to vibrate badly on the highway due to the scalloped wear on the inside tread. I do have a dual steering stabilizer setup on the truck but I checked the shocks and no issue there.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ah, ok, that one is the pitman shaft. Still and all, it should NOT be breaking..... I don't know if the 2500's, or 3500's used a meaner steering box, but, that is something I would investigate, and if they are more billy bad ***, do the upgrade...

Another thing that I think would be a VERY good idea for you is one of these. Another member found a similar piece on ebay for under a hundred bucks. Might solve your problems.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:52 AM
mcss8541
All Star

Thanks I'll look into this. I appreciate it

Old 12-20-2010, 11:16 AM
joshsbetterhalf
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Ah, ok, that one is the pitman shaft. Still and all, it should NOT be breaking..... I don't know if the 2500's, or 3500's used a meaner steering box, but, that is something I would investigate, and if they are more billy bad ***, do the upgrade...

Another thing that I think would be a VERY good idea for you is one of these. Another member found a similar piece on ebay for under a hundred bucks. Might solve your problems.
I believe, from what I remember when mine went out and Josh replaced it, that it's not the same steering gear box in 1500, 2500, and 3500s. It's at the very least, different part numbers from somewhere like AutoZone. If mine goes out again *knock on wood* I'll be looking into an upgrade.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:27 AM
mcss8541
All Star

Did your's break in half like mine? If so what was the issue?

Old 12-20-2010, 11:38 AM
mcss8541
All Star

OK I went to O'Reilly Autoparts website and I found out that the 1998 Dodge Ram 4X4 5.9L 1500, 2500, and 3500 shares the same gear box however if the GVW is over 7500lbs then it goes to a different part number. Price remains the same and from I can see of the photos there's no difference in apprearance. The 4X4 part number is 27-7571 and it's a reman from Cardone with a lifetime warranty. The other one is the same manunfacturer however the part number is 27-7585.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

read the warranty carefully..... might not cover lifted trucks.

According to what I can find, the one ton box is the strongest of the group, however, it is NOT variable assist? Probably would only be an issue if you are big on rock crawling.

Couple aftermarket companies make meaner boxes as well. PSC, is one such, don't have info on pricing though.

Quick Reply: Possible Air In the Steering gear lines