2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Transmission Shift Problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2024, 01:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,375 Likes on 3,116 Posts

Originally Posted by slowneasy
Found, disconnected and absolutely no movement.
Rebuild time.

Old 04-26-2024, 11:03 AM
flatbed5.9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 2wd shift problem

i have a 97 360 small block and when i put it into drive it locks into gear but when i hit the breaks and come to a stop it slips into neutral and i dont know if its the solenoids or the filter of shift cable and im confused on why i have to shift into 1st then second then into drive in a auto gear box

Old 04-26-2024, 12:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by flatbed5.9
i have a 97 360 small block and when i put it into drive it locks into gear but when i hit the breaks and come to a stop it slips into neutral and i dont know if its the solenoids or the filter of shift cable and im confused on why i have to shift into 1st then second then into drive in a auto gear box
Unplug the 8 pin connector on the drivers side of the trans, about halfway back. Plugs straight down into the top of the valve body. This will disable ALL of the electronics in the trans, so, no automatic shifting, no TCC, no O/D. Go for a drive, you will have to shift manually. Start in first, and up/downshift as necessary. If the trans goes into the gear you tell it to, when you tell it to, it's an electronics problem. If it still exhibits undesirable behavior. It's rebuild time. If it's just the electronics, replace the governor pressure sensor/solenoid, with the borg warner heavy duty kit, also replace the output speed sensor. Reset the PCM, see if that solves the problem.

The following users liked this post:
flatbed5.9 (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 01:26 PM
flatbed5.9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for the advice also i had a bogging down problem a little bit ago i replaced the battery and it stopped but the battery that was originally in it was from last year could it have been a bad battery or is it an electrical problem? because after the first battery i put a used one in it it drained that one and made it start leaking battery acid then i went and bought a new one and it runs fine, but should i take off the cold air intake and go back to stock intake or should i clean and tune the carb or replace it?

Old 04-26-2024, 01:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

One problem at a time.

A battery failing in a year isn't unheard of. Verify your charging system is working properly, and not OVER charging the battery.... That'll smoke 'em in short order.

Cold air intake is likely fine, though the stock intake IS a cold air intake.

Cleaning the throttle body certainly won't hurt. If you are still stock, no real point in replacing it.

Quick Reply: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Transmission Shift Problems!!!