2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Putting in my pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010 | 08:10 PM
CPTAFW163
|
Champion
Default Putting in my pulleys

Gents,

I am going to be putting in my pulleys next week (Have been lookng at them in a box since june). I need to know a few things.

1. I am putting the pulleys on a 5.9. Does the balancer bolt to the new pulley, or do I need to get a special balancer?

2. I need to get a new water pump (bolt on pulley). Should I go to the dealership, or get the one from rockauto. The one from rockauto (severe duty cooling) says "w/o threaded heater attachment." Does that mean there is no heater bypass? or that the opening is just not threaded. The current waer pump does not have a threaded opening but there is an opening.

3. Do I have to use the three piece? or can I just run the crank pulley. THe crank is undersized and the water/alt are both OVERSIZED. If I am not worried about cooling or amp output, is it really that big of a deal?

Thanks
--Dan

Old 12-21-2010 | 08:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Pulley should bolt right on to your harmonic balancer.

I think the 'heater attachment" they are talking about would be threaded fitting for the bypass hose....... I would guess that if you drive in the cold, you are gonna want that......

Call the dealer, see what they can get you.

Old 12-21-2010 | 08:49 PM
CPTAFW163
|
Champion

the thing is, mine is not threaded, but there is a bypass hose hole for the pipe. It is just not threaded. I don't understand why they would sell 4 types that do not have one.

Old 12-21-2010 | 09:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well, on mine, there is the non-threaded hole for the heater return hose, then there is the threaded hole for the bypass hose. (steel fitting screws into it.) not entirely sure which one they are referring to there, probably be a good idea to talk to someone before ordering.

Just as a wild-assed guess, I would suspect that the spot for the bypass hose would be cast in there in any event, and could conceivably by drilled, and tapped, if it came right down to it.

Old 12-21-2010 | 09:09 PM
dodgeram07
Champion

i only used the crank pully

i would only used the crank pully

Old 12-21-2010 | 09:55 PM
terribleswiss

i ran all three pulleys but had to get a shorter belt, the tensioner did not take up the slack well. i ended up taking the alt pulley off and going back to the stock size, my electric fan pulls to much power. there are 2 different balancers for our engines, one with a bolt on pulley and the other one is a one piece balancer with pulley. i used the summit balancer since i had the 1 piece design.

Old 12-21-2010 | 10:06 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Go get a NEW lifetime warranty NAPA Tru-Flow pump and a FEL-Pro gasket.

Some trucks came with a threaded bypass port, some with a push-in port.

Old 12-21-2010 | 11:23 PM
CPTAFW163
|
Champion

swiss....I believe I have the one piece pulley and balancer. WHat balancer did you get from summit? and how easy is it to mess up when you put it back on with the different pulley and balancer? Any tips?

Purp, you are right, it is the bypass hose. mine is push in.

Old 12-22-2010 | 11:38 AM
terribleswiss

i used the summit racing balancer, part # sum-c4277.the balancer is for internal balance, but i think it comes with the weight for external balance, its been a while since i did it. i used a balancer remover/installer tool and it was straightforward. have had no issues with the setup for years

Old 12-22-2010 | 12:28 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

swiss....I believe I have the one piece pulley and balancer. WHat balancer did you get from summit? and how easy is it to mess up when you put it back on with the different pulley and balancer? Any tips?
In 2000 'Ma Mopar switched the balencer and pulley on the 360s to a 1 piece.

Quick Reply: Putting in my pulleys