2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Axle Tag = 1885

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010 | 08:20 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

Open differential will transfer torque to the path of least resistance, in other words the wheel with less traction.

Old 12-29-2010 | 04:41 PM
RamusMaximus
|
Amateur

I registered on the Chrysler website a few days ago. So they won't be able to accuse me of not being the "owner of record". I'll get the build sheet if I can't figure it out.

Old 12-31-2010 | 03:09 PM
RamusMaximus
|
Amateur
Question

I put one tire off the road in mud and the other on pavement. When I gave it gas, the tire on the mud slipped freely and there seemed to be no grabbing at all on the pavement side.

I really was hoping it was limited slip since I have to haul up boat ramps.

Anybody care to list my options? Is there an electronic locker I can add through the gear cover, or do I have to replace the whole diff / axle.

Old 12-31-2010 | 03:44 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

there are no selectable lockers for 9.25
you do have several options -

get a chrysler 9.25 from the junkyard with a factory limited slip, and replace the entire rear end housing. beware - a lot of factory LSD's have broken retainer clips, worn out clutches, etc. they can be rebuilt but i don't know what all is involved.

have a new limited slip installed in your rear axle. detroit truetrac gets good reviews. cost is up there, probably about $500+ for parts plus maybe? 500 for labor.

install a lunchbox locker in your rear. these are powertrax noslip, aussie locker, etc. they're about $400 for parts and DIY on install.

have a new full time detroit locker installed in your rear. expensive.

find a dana 60 from a 2500 and install in your truck. this will require some drive shaft work, spring and shackle work, but it opens up options for cable or electric selectable lockers. this will also run into a lot of money. a cable operated OX locker is about $1000 just for parts.

Old 01-01-2011 | 02:35 PM
RamusMaximus
|
Amateur

Thanks. So it looks like I can try it at the boat ramps and if I have a problem I can add a PowerTrax device for about $400 plus install.

Old 12-24-2011 | 07:08 PM
RamusMaximus
|
Amateur
Default dividing the driving torque ?

My Haynes manual says about the 9 1/4 non-limited slip differential:
allows the wheels to rotate at different speeds while cornering, while equally dividing the driving torque between the two wheels.... However, the total driving torque can't be more than double the torque at the lower traction wheel.
What are they saying, exactly. Does this mean that if both wheels have similar traction and if not applying too much power both wheels are driving? I have noticed I get very good traction towing up the slick ramps. Would this also help in snow or mud?

Also, I notice there is an electrical connection at the top of the differential housing. What is that for?

Old 12-24-2011 | 07:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Electrical connector is for the rear wheel speed sensor. (your truck has at least Rear Wheel Antilock Brakes.)

An open differential is just that. Open. Regardless of what they say, the wheel with the LEAST traction gets the MOST power. All things being equal, both tires will 'drive' the truck. Get one on a slick surface though, and it will slip, and the other tire will do nothing. (yes, you can get stuck with one tire on ice.)

Old 12-24-2011 | 08:00 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Electrical connector is for the rear wheel speed sensor. (your truck has at least Rear Wheel Antilock Brakes.)

An open differential is just that. Open. Regardless of what they say, the wheel with the LEAST traction gets the MOST power. All things being equal, both tires will 'drive' the truck. Get one on a slick surface though, and it will slip, and the other tire will do nothing. (yes, you can get stuck with one tire on ice.)
You can get stuck with all 4 tires spinning on ice, all depends on the circumstances.

I've literally done 360's in my old Blazer while going up an ice covered hill because there is a spot where the road curves ever so slightly to the right, and if you don't let off your gas (at least with the Blazer) you'd spin out. That wasn't a fun experience either....

Old 12-25-2011 | 10:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by stewie01
You can get stuck with all 4 tires spinning on ice, all depends on the circumstances.

I've literally done 360's in my old Blazer while going up an ice covered hill because there is a spot where the road curves ever so slightly to the right, and if you don't let off your gas (at least with the Blazer) you'd spin out. That wasn't a fun experience either....
Driving home from work one Friday...... we had been getting freezing rain most of the afternoon..... I didn't wanna hang in Ann Arbor, and wait for the roads to clear, so, I headed home. At 20 miles per hour....... The roads were covered in black ice, and there was a pretty stiff breeze. At the time, I was driving an 86 S-15 4x4. When the wind REALLY picked up, it would push the truck hard enough that I would lose traction on all four wheels, and I would instantly become a passenger, with a nice steering wheel to hang onto, until I hit one shoulder or the other, and could get traction again..... THAT was exciting. After the first experience...... When I saw oncoming traffic, I would pull over, and STOP, as I didn't wanna get blown into another car......

There was one stretch of road that just went thru one corner of a county, that WASN'T very well maintained, and there were HARD corners both entering, and leaving..... (no matter which direction you were going....) As I came around the corner (at 5MPH.....), It looked like some giant kid had just randomly tossed his toy cars everywhere. It was hilarious. There were probably a dozen cars in various positions, none of them actually ON the road. I had chains, and tug straps, and spent the next three hours pulling cars back onto the road. (that was fun, with just about zero traction on the roads......) I think I made about 500 bucks that night.

Old 12-25-2011 | 12:43 PM
mstephen89
Captain

I'm 99% sure that the sensor in the axle housing also senses mph.

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Tag = 1885