2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

have to boost, put into gear, engine quits..

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 02:01 PM
jscarf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default have to boost, put into gear, engine quits..

Hey folks, I would appreciate any advice on this.

I've got a 97 1500ST 318 auto.

My Dad changed the fuel pump in the spring, and for some reason, had to run a stand alone wire from the pump to the battery. Also, the fuel pump relay fuse in the engine bay is loose, so I need to put a copper wire in with the contacts otherwise I have no connection. Of course, without both the wire and the fuse put in, in the manner that I've said, the engine won't start, nor will it turn off without pulling that fuse. I'm not sure it's related to my current situation but there's the flop, down and dirty.

Now, my problem is this: The truck was sitting for a couple months. I had to boost it but it started right up. The battery seemed to be charging alright, it sat on it's own running for awhile and sounded fine. However, when I put into gear, reverse or drive, it quit on me, and had NO power left. I boosted it again, went through the motions, and again she quit.

My Dad loved this old truck, and he's gone so I'm doing my best to keep her going ha..but she's not making it easy for me right now.

Could it be as simple as replacing the battery? We put a new battery in, in the spring, a Nautilis 1000 amp monster to suffer the colder weather. I'm not sure if he has replaced the alternator, I believe he did but nevertheless, it would seem as though that wouldn't be the problem as it sat idle fine until I put into gear. It would seem to me like it's something different though no? Aside of course from, when put into gear, any charge it had, is gone...

Any advice you guys could give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Jesse

Old 12-27-2010, 02:12 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Does it stay running if you hold the gas pedal down a little?

Old 12-27-2010, 02:41 PM
jscarf

Originally Posted by zman17
Does it stay running if you hold the gas pedal down a little?
in september i had to go through this also, and i did keep the revs up a little to put into gear and i did get her moving. i took it for a ride and when i got back and shut the engine off, she fired back up no problem. however, it's reoccurring.

i didn't do it this time yet, but in short answer, i imagine it would still keep running, yes...

Old 12-27-2010, 02:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

How's the battery? Was it discharged, and froze? If so, its toast. Time for a new one.

You have some funky wiring issues going on as well.....

Old 12-27-2010, 02:50 PM
KRider830
Rookie

x2, my dads 95 had that same problem, among many. If the throttle is at 1/4 to 1/2 open it would start right up.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:52 PM
jscarf

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How's the battery? Was it discharged, and froze? If so, its toast. Time for a new one.

You have some funky wiring issues going on as well.....
hey,

no i don't believe it was fully discharged. it started easily once boosted and kept running on it's own. but i guess, having said that, it also has no juice unless i boost it...

but why would it die, only once i put into gear?

my dad has installed and removed: off road lights, alarm system, engine starter as well as pilot lights. as far as i can tell, they've been removed cleanly, but when he replaced the fuel pump, he didn't have a new sending unit, and there was something with the harness\wire from the pump, i guess, that provoked him to run a single line to the batt.

i apologize, i'm being as articulate as i can be...would be easier if i my dad logged everything he did to the truck and why ha

Old 12-27-2010, 03:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

These trucks exhibit some funny behavior if the battery/alternator are on their way out. (or gone, for that matter.....)

The dies when you put it in gear thing might be just because the computer hasn't relearned the idle yet. Try the step on the gas a bit thing, and see how that works. Drive it around some, give the computer a chance to figure things out, and hopefully that issue will be resolved. (if the battery is toast, it will forget everything it knows, every time you turn it off.....)

Need to figure out your wiring issues as well.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:11 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my suggestion....since are trucks can be very picky when it comes to a bad battery(either cell dropped or just dead), they tend to do weird things like stalling and dieing, this also coupled with the computer trying to relearn itself(also said by some to cause the motor to die in the very beginning)....I would swap batteries with another vehicle to see if it solves the problem or if you plan on using the truck alot anytime soon replacing battery if it does not fix the problem get back to us

Quick Reply: have to boost, put into gear, engine quits..