2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 1500 steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 11:56 AM
d_sinsley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 1500 steering

Ok im sure some are going to rag on me for asking these questions because its all been asked before. But I'm doing it anyway.

My 98 Ram 1500's steering is well to say the least scary. I basicaly think everything is shot. I have 145,000 so its really to be expected given my marginal maint. schedule and off road use. I have new upper and lower ball joints, new wheel hub assemblys, and new axel ujoints. Here is my problem steering wheel has about 4" of slop. Adjusted the steering box play and that stiffened it up and made steering more responsive(a little to much need to back off some) but steering slop is still there. The truck wanders alot. I know I need a track bar.

So here are my questions.
Whats a good OEM replacement track bar? As far as I can tell mine is not adjustable. I find them on ebay from $50 to $400. I see here the Moog mentioned and its not to badly priced are any of the others that are less worth a damn?

The slop seems to me to be in the intermediate shaft. Do I suck it up and buy a Borgenson? or are there other alternatives better or worse?

The steering box itself seems ok for now, but is on the list. so when I do replace it is a Box stabilizer a must? I would rather not do it if it doesn't make a big difference.

All the linkages will be done at the same time as the box.

Have I covered everything? maybe a new stabilizer (not for the box) when I do the linkages?

after all this its time for an engine. I love my truck but its time to either put serious cash into it or sell it. I hope you guys are willing to keep my truck alive. parts are cheaper than payments, and i have the title.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

I got my trackbar at advance auto, it wasn't the moog unit, but, when looking at them side by side, I could not tell a difference. It was a lifetime warranty, and about a third cheaper than the moog. I can't recall the brand name........

Our steering shafts are known to be problematic......

Replace all the sloppy bits, and take it from there. I was able to adjust my box, it is much better than it was...... There are TWO adjustments though, and I still need to deal with the second one. (which is supposed to be done first..... )

If you are still running stock size tires, the box brace isn't really necessary.... but, it sure wouldn't hurt.

No clue on boxes. RedHead seems to be a popular one....

Old 12-29-2010, 12:59 PM
d_sinsley

tires and height are all stock, I have no advanced auto parts. and i am replacing the box anyway cuz it leaks

Old 12-29-2010, 01:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Brace would be overkill then.

Is it leaking out the sector shaft? (where the pitman arm bolts on) If so, there is a seal in there you can replace without too much trouble.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:31 PM
d_sinsley

it leaks at both input and output the leaks are not bad at all it just seeps. I know its an expensive way to fix the problem but I will repkace the box for piece of mind.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Probably not a bad plan then.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:09 PM
obiewan kanobe

i did all that trash, but, by far the best improvement was complete replacement of the steering box (it's heavy and expensive). it seems that, although it can be adjusted, the internal wear gets worse. i adjusted mine twice, with only some improvement...it then started leaking oil. it has over 170,000 miles on it. the new gearbox really fixed it...don't forget the wheel alignment and any old tires.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

What brand box did you get? How long have you had it? How do you like it?

Old 12-30-2010, 10:53 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have poor steering but I can tell u the old boxes, wear fast.. I have much laeger then stock tires, so I put the 1 ton box in.. but I have a bad lower trac bar mount..

Old 12-31-2010, 10:12 AM
d_sinsley

I'm not going to fool with adjusting the box anymore than I already have. It will be replaced when money will allow. Right now my concern is something breaking while driving. I ordered my track bar on ebay its a cheap one but even if it only makes it a year it will give me time to fix other stuff. The intermediate shaft scares me. I got to looking and moving and playing with things and it is the cause of my steering slop, That will be next on the list. then box and all the linkages.

Quick Reply: 98 1500 steering