2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I can get an extended warranty: Choice

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 09:06 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if the extended warranty has anything to do with US Fidelis or any of its offshoot companies, do NOT get involved with them. All they do is advertise a lot and collect money, and then deny the claims. they've been investigated by several states and just manage to scoot along on the edge of the jailhouse.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:50 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is route 66: here is the pricing and the coverages.
https://www.penfed.org/productsandra...66Brochure.pdf
I just called: ONLY 1295, penfed switched their contract with a better warrranty company. 2300 was from the other company. I just called to double check. They told me the same thing that they say in the brochure. THey said, "If your tranny goes, they will pay for everything except the cost of the tranny fluid and taxes. SO it is basically like having anywhere from a 50-300 dollar deductible depending on the fluid and taxes. They told me that it will match the chrysler warranty exactly (Damn, I was thinking this might be a loophole to a cracked dash).

How this is settled: You bring this to any licensed mechanic. They call the company and settle on a price. Then they lock in the claim and reimbursement. I did not ask, but the brochure states something about reimbursement, but does not explain if you must pay first.

2000 is the oldest they go right now. Since my truck has only 50K miles, I get the cheapest quote.

Last edited by CPTAFW163; 12-31-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:09 PM
ferguson30
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always look at it like this, those extended warranties are making somebody money, and odds are, it isn't gonna be the customer. Now there are instances where I'd consider them though. Do I know my tranny is about to go, and they are offering the warranty, then I'd jump on it.

Is my truck in great overall shape, and any repairs I can think of happening add up to less than the cost of the policy, then no.

With your mods however, you might run into somebody who is just itching for a reason not to pay the claim though, unless you have a mechanic who will work with you.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:39 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The thing about my mods:
1. Headers will not void manufacturers warranty
2. Gauges will not void a warranty
2. MSD box, that can get taken out rather quickly. it is on quick connects.

The other mods...they are not visible and I can reflash the PCM back to stock. The injectors...well they are just injectors. every truck has them.

What i have found out, mechanics want work and want to get paid.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Warranties for vehicles is like health insurance for the drivers. Its all about volume. Some folks pay the money, and never use it. Others, well.... they make up for the rest.

At one point, GM was selling an extended warranty that was good for six years, and unlimited mileage..... One of our customers had purchased the plan, as he was a traveling salesman, and put LOTS of miles on his van every year. He brought it in for his final visit one day, and I went browsing thru his records.... (and the file was THICK.)

3 Engines.
4 transmissions.
4 rear differentials. (either completely rebuilt, or, simply replaced)
2 Driveshafts.......
Balljoints every year.
His entire steering system had been replaced at least five times thoughout the course of his ownership. (not all at once mind, just bits and pieces here and there.)

He put over 150,000 miles a year on his van...... GM took a bath on that one. (and oddly enough, that plan was only offered for ONE year..... Imagine that.)

Old 12-31-2010, 01:41 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
He put over 150,000 miles a year on his van...... GM took a bath on that one. (and oddly enough, that plan was only offered for ONE year..... Imagine that.)
Kind of like yelling free cupcakes at a fat camp...won't do that again!!!

Quick Reply: I can get an extended warranty: Choice