2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Work truck improvements?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:56 PM
jimmyboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Work truck improvements?

Hello guys, my names James and im new to dodgeforum, been trollin around for a while tho , so im 16 and work out of my truck and would like to know what would make my life easier, its a 2wd so posi and stuff like that would be nice, but stuff like toolboxes, lift, things of that nature are what im looking for, any advice?

Old 12-30-2010, 09:57 PM
TheBigRedOne

Buy something that would help you with your work? Not really sure what you're asking here. The Gas/Oil/Fluids/Maintenance mod usually does well.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:15 PM
jimmyboy

lol guess i deserved that answer, im looking for stuff that will make my 2wd more usable, i work in mud and snow, crap like that so posi? winch? heavier bumper for farming? idk, maybe a 3 inch lift and 33's? w.e will make a completely stock 2wd more usable for working out of.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:30 PM
TheBigRedOne

Oh lord this is my thread. What type of work do you do?

Old 12-30-2010, 10:31 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A locker should be put in a 2wd rather than a posi as you really need all the traction you can get.

For a working truck a reciever mount winch with front and rear recievers is handy.

Don't get a lift if you want toolboxes as my truck is very tall and I cannot really use my toolbox from the ground. I also suggest getting the half opening (2 lifting sides) toolboxes rather than full (whole lid opens) opening as the latter is difficult to close from the side of the truck. The lid will flex and not latch properly.

Extra fluid coolers will help.

What work are you doing. "Work" is very vague. In most cases just leave work trucks stock or close to it and beat it to death then get another one. If you really plan on working the truck sell it and but a 4x4 2500 or 3500.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:35 PM
jimmyboy

thankis for the reply, so a lockers better, i heard welding the rear would be the same? and a heck of a lot cheaper being 16 :P, i cant sell it, somehow a 20,000 dollar lein got put on the title that goes up every year, i farm, odd construction jobs, move for dip-blanks who dont have a truck, snowblow, haul buddies atvs, that sort of thing, and it has sat for uhh like 4 years, forgot to mention that :P

Old 12-30-2010, 10:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Don't weld it. If you drive it on pavement at all, you would REALLY not like that..... Especially in snow/ice/rain.....

Old 12-30-2010, 10:50 PM
jimmyboy

well its my only vehicle right now and its not even road ready yet, my buick century took a pig-poo finally so time to fix the old dodge, no welding then.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:53 PM
TheBigRedOne

Originally Posted by Gerehead8
If you really plan on working the truck sell it and but a 4x4 2500 or 3500.
A good many chase trucks are 2WD. Some travel over a thousand miles, off road at high speed, carrying tires, fuel, gas, parts, etc. But I guess thats not work.

OP, run a limited slip in the back. Unless you plan on mob gnarfroading everywhere you go, a locker is just going to eat your tires and **** you off. Throw a 3 inch spindle in the front, on some 33's and that truck will prolly go anywhere your line of work will take you.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:57 PM
jimmyboy

gimme some sights man! that post made me smile "anywhere i need to go" sounds wonderful, it needs new mirrors and stuff like that but just little stuff, anyone know a good bedliner i can do myself cheap?

Quick Reply: Work truck improvements?