2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

no right brake light

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 04:05 PM
DoubleL24
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no right brake light

I dont have a right brake light. I replace the bulb and still nothing. Im lost, does anyone know what it could be?

Old 12-31-2010, 04:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Does your right turn signal work?

Old 12-31-2010, 05:28 PM
DoubleL24
Professional

yeah, i believe so.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think the turn signals, and brake lites use the same filament in the bulb? Since you replaced the bulb... that evidently isn't it..... Can you grab a buddy, and check for power on both terminals on the bulb socket? (buddy would need to step on the brake for ya.)

Old 12-31-2010, 05:47 PM
John D in CT
Veteran

When diagnosing any problem, it's always best to assume nothing. Make sure that the bulb is good, either by testing it with 12-volt test leads (well, one 12-volt lead and one ground lead), or by trying another new one. Touch the ground lead to the brass casing, and then put 12 volts to each of the two contacts. You can also give the bulbs the old Mark Eight Eyeball Test by holding them up to a good light and making sure the filaments are intact. Not 100% effective at proving the bulb is good, but an obviously broken filament is 100% proof that it's bad. [Just thought of this - please don't take it personally, but make sure you're using a 2-contact bulb and not a single-contact bulb].

Next, don't assume that the socket is making proper contact with the contacts on the bottom of the bulb. Spray some WD-40 in there and move the contact plate up and down against the spring it sits on; make sure it moves freely, and that the contacts aren't too corroded.

Next, don't assume that the contacts are each getting 12 volts. One contact should get juice when the taillights are on (and more juice when the brake pedal is depressed IIRC), and the other should get juice when the turn signal is on. Use a test light; the kind with the sharp point on it. Make sure the test light has a good ground, then touch the pointy end on each of the contacts.

If there's no juice at the contact for the brake light function, then you probably have a broken wire, bad ground, or bad connection that you need to track down.

There are other things you'd need to check if neither brake light was coming on, like the brake pedal switch, but I gathered from your post that only one side isn't working.

Good luck, and Happy New Year.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:09 PM
DoubleL24
Professional
Thumbs up

Thanks for the info. Yeah just the right side isnt working. I replaced the bulb and still nothing. I might try ur tricks. Well hope I can find something out with it. Happy New Year guys. Thanks for all the info...

Old 12-31-2010, 08:58 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this might be a dumb question, is the fuse for left and right brakelights seperate? I don't see how or why they would be but I thought there were cars out there that did have a setup like that...not sure though!

Old 12-31-2010, 09:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Nope. Same fuse. Good thought though. Wouldn't surprise me if the engineers didn't pick up on that, and decide to do it that way.... If they do, I am going to come LOOKING FOR YOU!

Quick Reply: no right brake light