2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DIY Homemade Plenum Plate

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 04:43 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that looks really good. YOu should just sell the plates and let the customer get the gasket sets and the TTY bolts.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll take one for my Ram when you start selling...

Old 01-08-2011, 06:41 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

you can sign me up for one...i will just need someone to provide me a list of the bolts that need to be replaced. I don't know much about this and don't want to have to do it again. I would appreciate the information on what gaskets are best to use....
Mopar has the best prices (believe me or not) on everything except the intake manifold gaskets. The best deals on the intake manifold gaskets are at NAPA.
6034583 Plenum Plate bolt x1= $4.65 (thats for a pack of 15)
53032603AA Plenum Gasket x1= $16.29
6035967AA Intake Manifold bolts x12 $17.28

FEL-Pro gasket set at NAPA:
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50022+2022009#

Plus you cant forget the throttle body gasket, thermostat, thermostat gasket, bypass hose, and you'll prolly break the coolant temp sensor and air intake temp sensor. Plus while you're in there you might as well change the water pump and timing chain...

Last edited by PurplDodge; 01-08-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Demoes4x
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I finally finished my plenum job.
After all was said and done I ended up replacing/perfoming the following.
FABRICATED PLENUM BELLY PAN (ALUMINUM), REPLACED GASKETS, CAP, ROTOR, TPS, MAP SENSOR, IGNITION COIL, SPARK PLUGS (AUTOLITES 3923), VACUM VALVE, ALTERNATOR, IDLE PULLEY, ALSO COOLANT FLUSH, REROUTE THE WIRES, COMPRESSION CHECK, OIL/OIL FILTER CHANGE, RESET (P0301,308,300) CODES.

I had the Bosch plugs the first time around and that was a mistake (fouled two within the first 5 miles then the codes came back).
It appears that was source of the codes till I replaced them with the Autolites. The oem belly pan was warped and would not seat flat on the plenum even with the bolts installed (no gasket) I was getting up to .004 in between the two. The truck is running good now and not rough or galloping at take off.
Here are some pics on the plenum pan fab and gaps I mentioned.

This is from a earlier thread https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...process-2.html I started and is what mine looked like. It's been a couple of months with it installed with no issues. Not hard to do just take your time.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:52 PM
pro tech
Rookie

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Sorry, its a little more than I said:
53032603AA Plenum Gasket - $16.29
6034583 Plenum Plate bolt - $4.65 (for 15)
Or Rock Auto has a complete kit for $29.95....DORMAN Part # 615310..can't vouch for the quality of the gaskets and such, but looks like it comes with stat, bypass hose and all the crap you should change with the repair.

^

Old 01-08-2011, 10:53 PM
lazyboy
Rookie

Originally Posted by jgcox6
you can sign me up for one...i will just need someone to provide me a list of the bolts that need to be replaced. I don't know much about this and don't want to have to do it again. I would appreciate the information on what gaskets are best to use....

I don't know how soon you can crank one out for me..but I would like to be able to get in on before the spring fishing season...(Feb-Mar)

Thanks for doing a great job..your workmanship looks awesome. What else do you build with all that aluminum stock?
Thanks. We can make just about any thing a person can imagine and it is not limited to that stock. a few hobby examples.

Name:  litemount.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  113.8 KB
Name:  homerun.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  73.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0412.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  130.7 KB

just remember when you spend design time and put a million dollars worth of machinery to a part its not cheap.
my day job, bread and butterr involves making things that fly that I cant even talk about here.
Doug

Old 01-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's pretty awesome.
Have you ever machined a Ram emblem like the Cummins one?

And you can't talk about it just "in general" without any specific examples?

What type of machine did you use for those Cummins emblems?
My dad has a couple milling machines and a HAAS CNC machine at his work that I could put to work if I were to take the time to put the dimensions into a cad program.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:43 PM
lazyboy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
That's pretty awesome.
Have you ever machined a Ram emblem like the Cummins one?

And you can't talk about it just "in general" without any specific examples?

What type of machine did you use for those Cummins emblems?
My dad has a couple milling machines and a HAAS CNC machine at his work that I could put to work if I were to take the time to put the dimensions into a cad program.
talk to Chris at pridebillet for emblems, sure he would entertain the thought. we must keep patents in mind tho..
We make parts for Aerospace, defense etc. I have parts in the hubble telescope, the space shuttle, 727-787. F14-F22 and Im sure in aircraft very few people have ever seen.
Haas is a very capable machine, have a VF3 in my home shop. Sounds like you have resource to make most any thing you can imagine as well.
have fun with it. its fun to watch a block of material take shape.
Doug

Old 01-08-2011, 11:52 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pro tech
Or Rock Auto has a complete kit for $29.95....DORMAN Part # 615310..can't vouch for the quality of the gaskets and such, but looks like it comes with stat, bypass hose and all the crap you should change with the repair.

^
That is a damn steal. But I bet you get what you pay for. Probably all China stuff All the parts I listed were Made IN USA.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:52 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lazyboy
talk to Chris at pridebillet for emblems, sure he would entertain the thought. we must keep patents in mind tho..
We make parts for Aerospace, defense etc. I have parts in the hubble telescope, the space shuttle, 727-787. F14-F22 and Im sure in aircraft very few people have ever seen.
Haas is a very capable machine, have a VF3 in my home shop. Sounds like you have resource to make most any thing you can imagine as well.
have fun with it. its fun to watch a block of material take shape.
Doug
That's pretty awesome. Sounds like you have a fun job.
I love running metal working machinery, as long as I don't botch a measurement when I'm doing it anyway.

A CNC machine molding a block of steel is pretty cool to watch. I like watching that Trumph laser do it's thing to a sheet of metal.

Quick Reply: DIY Homemade Plenum Plate