2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DIY Homemade Plenum Plate

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 03:31 PM
jpsycoboy5
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Your local Dodge Dealer or Mopar.BIZ.

I'll get you the Mopar P/Ns.
Thanks purp

Old 01-06-2011, 03:48 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry, its a little more than I said:
53032603AA Plenum Gasket - $16.29
6034583 Plenum Plate bolt - $4.65 (for 15)

Old 01-07-2011, 07:46 PM
lazyboy
Rookie

here you go
Name:  IMG_0484.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  160.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0482.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  141.1 KB

made from aircraft grade aluminum, fyi all that means is it is more pure, controlled process in extruding and should be a lot more corrosion resistent.
it is shown on my granite surface plate flat within .0003. when i lay it flat on this plate it floats like a air hockey puck, it also has a suction when pulling it up. I cannot guarantee all will be this perfect but will be close or rejected prior to ship.
the profile matches stock plate closer than any one can cut free hand within 40 hrs of work.
I have not istalled this in a functioning motor but fit tests indicate no clearance issues.
I plan on using stock bolts removed from my old plate, please enlighten me if this is a bad move. they are less than 10 years old, have not been heated beyond there yield and show no stress. the holes will be chased with a tap in the intake to insure propper torque.
any that have experience with instalation-things to look out for please chime in.

Doug

Old 01-07-2011, 08:13 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh man...That is friggin great!!! It looks so good! I bet you cant float mine or Hughes plate on a table like a hockey puck!

What grade aircraft aluminum did you use? I know Hughes's plate is made out of T-6061 and mine was made out of a piece of 7075-T651.

If you had done this 12 months ago I wouldnt have made my own. You have the perfect potion...Great product at a great price. Hats off to you sir!

Old 01-07-2011, 08:42 PM
EricCartman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lazyboy
here you go
I plan on using stock bolts removed from my old plate, please enlighten me if this is a bad move.
Doug
The bolts are torque to yield... and should be replaced if removed. If you are going to go through all the effort of fixing it, I would spring for the new bolts.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by EricCartman
The bolts are torque to yield... and should be replaced if removed. If you are going to go through all the effort of fixing it, I would spring for the new bolts.
Intake manifold bolts are tty. I don't think the plenum plate bolts are.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:34 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Use loktite to avoid the possibility of a bolt vibrating loose and dropping into the lifter gallery. The Mopar replacement bolts have loktite pre-applied.

Hey You is correct that those pan bolts are reusable.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:56 PM
lazyboy
Rookie

yes loctite, forgot to mention that detail. you bet your a$$ that wont be forgotten on install. thanks tho, for ones lurking that is the difference of success vs. major failure. oops.
thanks for the good words purpl.. there is such a thing as overkill but I like it that way esp. a part some what deep in the motor.
pretty sure we will be running 7075 on these. it is harder and more corrosion resistent than 6061. will have to get a gasket and assess what warpage will be acceptable as we are at the mercy of the stock. the bolt pattern and gasket lends itself to the ability to seal under worse conditions than i will accept to sell. advantage is my shop buys it by the pallet load so will choose a sheet that is not the top or bottom and should be flatter than most can get. we use the top and bottom for forming prove outs. could let some of the rejects (warped or deep scratches) go local with the retailers permission. but these will be the last to sell. other wise they are just scrap metal. dont wait for em, they will be archived.
get the word out.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:08 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Me like. And I'll buy one just as soon as it becomes available, too.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:46 PM
jgcox6
Rookie

you can sign me up for one...i will just need someone to provide me a list of the bolts that need to be replaced. I don't know much about this and don't want to have to do it again. I would appreciate the information on what gaskets are best to use....

I don't know how soon you can crank one out for me..but I would like to be able to get in on before the spring fishing season...(Feb-Mar)

Thanks for doing a great job..your workmanship looks awesome. What else do you build with all that aluminum stock?

Quick Reply: DIY Homemade Plenum Plate